Should I go to Leipzig or should I have a language year

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of whether to attend an English-taught bachelor program in Leipzig or spend a year learning German to attend a German-taught program at a more prestigious university for a BSc in Physics. The financial situation is manageable and the question of how it would affect future graduate degree prospects is also raised. The general consensus is that for a masters in a German university, the location of the BSc program does not matter as long as the grades are good. However, for pursuing a PhD in the US, the university attended may have an impact. The speaker also mentions that Leipzig has a strong history in physics and mathematics, with notable figures such as Heisenberg and Hertz, making it a viable option
Muskovite
Hello everybody,

Like you, I love physics and would love to obtain at least a B.sc in Physics, but I am in a sort of a dilemma. Should I go to Leipzig, where they have an English taught bachelor or should I spend a year studying German in order to take a DSH exam and then attend a German bachelor in a more well known university with a strong Physics program. My financial situation isn't perfect, but it is manageable. And furthermore, would an IPSP Bachelor in Leipzig hamper or help my graduate degree prospects? If I want to go to Heidelberg to do a masters for example or do a Phd in the USA, whuch would suit me better: a degree from a university like the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology or should I stick with Leipzig?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
For a masters in a German university, it is not important where in Germany you got your BSc - if your grades are good you get in.
For the US, it can matter.

I second mfb. There are no "levels" of German universities. A degree taken at any of them will be regarded in exactly the same way.

By the way, I do not see even why you would count out Leipzig of all universities in any case. In the time the German universities were world famous, Leipzig was one of the top 5 (they had Heisenberg, Hertz, Debye, Bloch, Boltzmann, van der Waerden, and many of other people who laid the foundations of what physics and math is today. Look it up!).

1. Should I go to Leipzig or should I have a language year?

This is a personal decision and ultimately depends on your individual goals and preferences. Leipzig is a vibrant city with a rich history and culture, making it a great place to immerse yourself in the German language. On the other hand, a language year allows for more intensive language learning and the opportunity to experience multiple destinations. Consider what is most important to you and what will help you achieve your language learning goals.

2. What are the benefits of going to Leipzig for language learning?

Leipzig is known for its high-quality language schools and immersive language programs. By living and studying in Leipzig, you will have the opportunity to practice your language skills with native speakers on a daily basis. Additionally, the city offers a variety of cultural experiences and activities that can enhance your language learning, such as museums, concerts, and festivals.

3. Is a language year worth the investment?

A language year can be a significant financial investment, but it can also provide valuable language skills and cultural experiences that can greatly benefit your personal and professional development. Consider the long-term benefits and weigh them against the cost to determine if a language year is a worthwhile investment for you.

4. How long should a language year be?

The length of a language year can vary depending on the program and your individual goals. Some language schools offer programs that range from a few weeks to a full year. Consider your language proficiency level and the time you are able to commit to the program when deciding on the length of your language year.

5. Are there any alternatives to going to Leipzig or having a language year?

Yes, there are a variety of other options for language learning, such as online courses, language exchange programs, and immersion programs in your own country. It's important to research and consider all of your options before making a decision. You may also consider combining different methods for a more well-rounded language learning experience.