Is getting stabbed by an IC pin a cause for concern?

• Thread starter seang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doctor
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential risks of lead poisoning from being stabbed with an IC pin. However, it is determined that there is no danger of lead poisoning as IC pins are not made with lead and even if they were, the risk is low. The recommended course of action is to wash the wound with soap and water and use standard first aid practices. The conversation also mentions previous experiences with lead-based solder and reassures that there is no need to worry about lead exposure in this situation.
seang
just stabbed myself with an IC pin.

lead poisoning?

Engineering news on Phys.org
lol its not RoHs compliant chip? how many pins did you stab yourself with? chances are we absorbed more lead in food/solder smoke, paint

Just use standard first aid practice for a small puncture wound -- wash it out well with soap and water. As long as it was a relatively clean pin, the risk of infection is low.

Those dang pins hurt!

There's no danger of lead poisoning. IC pins aren't made with lead anyway, and even if they were you'd still be fine.

- Warren

you have more 24 hours to live

good luck

I've repaired lots of old tube amps over the years, and I got "stuck" by tinned component leads (with lead-based solder) more times that I can count. I never worried about the lead because it was solid and metallic. If it were finely divided or in the form of lead oxide, then I'd take precautions. Ah, the heady smell of rosin-core solder!

1. Should I go to the doctor if I have a fever?

Yes, if you have a fever that is persistently high (above 102°F), or if it is accompanied by other symptoms such as body aches, chills, or difficulty breathing, it is best to consult a doctor to determine the cause and receive appropriate treatment.

2. Is it necessary to see a doctor for a minor injury?

It depends on the severity of the injury. If the injury is minor and can be easily treated at home with first-aid measures, then it may not be necessary to see a doctor. However, if the injury is severe, involves deep cuts or burns, or shows signs of infection, it is important to seek medical attention.

3. When should I go to the doctor for a cough?

If you have a persistent cough that lasts longer than a week, or if you develop other symptoms such as fever, chest pain, or difficulty breathing, it is recommended to see a doctor. This could be a sign of a respiratory infection or a more serious condition that requires medical attention.

4. Do I need to see a doctor for stomach pain?

Stomach pain can have a variety of causes, ranging from minor issues like indigestion to more serious conditions like appendicitis or stomach ulcers. If the pain is severe, persistent, or accompanied by other symptoms like vomiting, fever, or blood in the stool, it is best to consult a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.

5. Can I wait to see a doctor for a skin rash?

If you develop a skin rash that is accompanied by other symptoms like fever, swelling, or difficulty breathing, it is important to see a doctor right away. However, if the rash is mild and does not cause any discomfort, you may be able to wait and see if it improves on its own. If the rash persists or gets worse, it is best to consult a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.