Should I keep going? Should I leave? If I stay, what do?

• Thread starter Obelisk017
  • Start date
In summary: Personally I would recommend that you talk to your professors and see if they can assign more challenging problems or lectures. Also get a good study guide if you can find one that is tailored to the material you are struggling with. It sounds like you have put in a lot of effort but there may be areas where you can improve. I wish you the best of luck.
Obelisk017
Okay, so I just got done with my fall term classes, and my grades aren't the best. I was wondering two things, one, should I continue? Everyone seems to give me the easy "of course you can do it" spiel, while that is good and dandy, it never tells me anything. I don't know if I really can do it, or if everyone around me is blowing smoke up my ***. Before whoever answers this though, I want you (thank you by the way for taking the time to answer this) to understand my circumstance. I was here last year. I took almost the exact same load, the only difference is that last year, I pulled out. I did a lot of soul searching asked myself what was worth what, took Integral calculus again...and passed with a B. I took Organic Chemistry, and passed with a B. I took Newtonian Physics and passed with a B. Everything seemed to be leading me back to Chemical Engineering. So then this year, I took the plunge back into the course work, and, well didn't do good. I failed Physics 212, got a D in my Chemical Engineering class, but passed Vector Calc with a C-, and retook Organic Chemistry I with a B+. I'm wondering, based on Professional Opinions, if it is advisable if I should still go through with this. I need a 2.75 to get into pro school. I'm in my third year in college. I have those constraints to deal with. I'm not sure If I can really do this. I gave a lot of effort this term. I scheduled everything around my schooling. Work outs, social obligations (or the very very few that I had), eating, sleeping...everything I thought of, before the term started I scheduled. I got groups together, designated study times, saw tutors when I could, got most of my assignments in on time(that goes irregardless, kind of a given). More often than not, I got back 1:00 in the am exhausted, and I would then sleep. I also learned this term. I learned that I should actually try to learn from my assignments rather than just treating them like a choir. I also learned girls aren't worth it, take fewer credits, and I need to be more organized, and I have a good work ethic, I just need some direction to channel it.

My second Question is if I decide to go through with this, how do I do better. I got it though myself that I actually have to learn from my assignments, but what else could I do? I know about going to professors, TA's, tutoring services, but what else? for instance, my Physics teacher is a good lecturer, but the suggested problems he assigns are so piss weak, but his exams are just ridiculous, almost nothing like the suggested problems, or his lectures. What should I do? Also my Engineering class was intense. On the homework, you could spend an easy 4-5 hours a night doing it. They take a while to solve. While I don't mind that, how can I better prepare for the exams? is there a way to minimize this so I can actually do work in other classes?. I guess in essence, how do I "take these classes(Physics, Mathematics, and Engineering Classes)" and pass with average/good grades? I have a good mentality, and work ethic, it's just the grades that trip me up. I'm not about to let this go without overturning every stone. I need this, I want this. I'll be level, I'm doing it partially for the money, but at the same time, I'm doing it to make my parent's proud, and to be able to look at myself in the mirror and say to myself I am proud of that person. I look at Chemical Engineering with a lot of hope. I bumped my head several times along the way, and it's not like I'm lazy, I'm putting in a lot of effort. I just want to know what the hell is wrong with me? Can I be doing things better? or is this not for me? Well, enough bleeding my heart out, I leave this to the members of the Physics Forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well from reading that you obviously care a great deal about your grades and there is no doubt that the effort is there. So it really comes down to if you believe you have it in you to continue? I don't want to give you advice that could possibly impact your life when I don't know your situation "personally" and I have never experienced what you are going through ( I am only in high school but i know what you are talking about with the work in class is so easy then tests come with stuff you have never seen before). Anyways, this decision is really up to you. Personally I believe you can achieve whatever you set your mind to (really corny but i believe it).

One piece of advice; try to budget your time even better so your not going to bed at 1 AM. Sometimes you can defeat the hardest tests by getting the best nights sleep. Good luck in whatever path you take.

I'm sorry but what do you mean by "getting into pro school" Do you mean graduate school?

Look there are times where everyone has doubts and thinks about switching, but there is a difference between doubt and feeling like you don't want to do this subject for the rest of your life. For myself I recognized it was the latter, and after ironically getting an A- average in my last semester in Physics, I switched to Comp Sci after my 2nd year and I honestly couldn't be happier.

Now considering you're in your 3rd year that changes things a bit, you could try to plow through your program but you run the risk of doing poorly and not meeting the necessary Diploma GPA requirement, and even then you could be hindered by a low GPA in the employment field.

Its honestly late in the game to be changing programs, but if your not passionate about chemical engineering (and staying for pride/parents doesn't count) then maybe you should consider another field where most of your credits will transfer over.

If you do decide to stick with your program then I'll give you advice from someone who has rebuilt their GPA.

1)You have to understand why your doing poorly in your classes.

2)Understanding that studying isn't about doing bursts of work when assignments are due, but a steady campaign of practice throughout the semester.

and most importantly

3)Building an effective schedule that allows you to be productive and have a good nights rest.

Try the studyhacks website. It helped me get through my first semester of college. http://calnewport.com/blog/ Cal Newport has a lot of advice on how to go about assignments, studying, making schedules... Perhaps some of it will work for you.

I think the above posts cover suggestions well. My question is, why did you retake organic chemistry when you had a B the first time?

to Morovia:
Sorry, I should have specified. I got a B in OchemII, Ochem I I got a D+ the first time around.

Sounds to me like you're finding out that you chose the wrong major. It happens. Different people are talented at different things. I enjoy playing music, but I wouldn't have been able to handle a music degree. Switch majors to something you're better at, if that's at all possible. Obviously this will have a down-side, like a 5th year of college, possibly financial consequences, etc. But clearly if you've given it this much effort and aren't succeeding, then being an engineer isn't the best thing to do with the rest of your life.

bcrowell said:
Sounds to me like you're finding out that you chose the wrong major. It happens. Different people are talented at different things. I enjoy playing music, but I wouldn't have been able to handle a music degree. Switch majors to something you're better at, if that's at all possible. Obviously this will have a down-side, like a 5th year of college, possibly financial consequences, etc. But clearly if you've given it this much effort and aren't succeeding, then being an engineer isn't the best thing to do with the rest of your life.

Good suggestions by everyone by the way. I have thought long and hard about this post, and my situation. I am about to go back to my college tomorrow to talk to my academic advisor, a councilor, and various other people about my situation. I have noticed that you are also an academic advisor, according to your profile. I just feel unfulfilled; like I missed something, or I got the raw end of the deal. I also feel depressed, angry, focused, confused, and kind of ready for round 2. I don't know why. I think in some weird way, I'm telling myself to go back. I can't explain it. I feel the previous statements are out of scope; I'm ranting perhaps I don't know. However, these past two weeks in break have taught me a lot. Through research, lurking, and posting I have learned much about how to actually tackle classes. I was never told/taught/shown what I was aiming for in college level science and Engineering classes(obviously a good grade, but I'm talking beyond that). I now realize that what I should seek in these classes, is insight; a deep/deeper understanding of what is going on. For the longest time, I would just do problems, and hope that it would prepare me for the exams. I have found that this approach is somewhat correct, but also wrong. I also learned that I should be taking fewer classes. This allows me to concentrate better on fewer classes, and hopefully get better grades. This is a small portion of what I've learned. Those things are huge conclusions that I have come to. I ask you, even though this question may be considered stupid by most people here on the forum, but I must ask someone. Based on my feelings, and what I've learned from this past term, and these two weeks, is should I keep going? Thank you for your time, and response, but I also ask that you be honest. It's probably silly to ask, but I don't think I have anyone willing to give me an honest opinion. My advisors are content with pushing me along with the rest of the herd, and my friends and family continue to say to me "keep at it" or "just do it." While it's a good morale boost, I think they are partially blowing smoke up my ***, but yet it gives me hope to some extent, and given what I've learned this term, I think maybe I can just pull it off. I fear however, that this next term might turn out like last one, pushing me farther and farther behind scholastically, financially, and emotionally. If you have read this far, I thank you. I really appreciate it. I'm kind of in a dark place right now, and I would like to put this matter to rest as fast as possible so I can get on with my life. Remember, be honest please.

Obelisk017 said:
Good suggestions by everyone by the way. I have thought long and hard about this post, and my situation. I am about to go back to my college tomorrow to talk to my academic advisor, a councilor, and various other people about my situation. I have noticed that you are also an academic advisor, according to your profile. I just feel unfulfilled; like I missed something, or I got the raw end of the deal. I also feel depressed, angry, focused, confused, and kind of ready for round 2. I don't know why. I think in some weird way, I'm telling myself to go back. I can't explain it. I feel the previous statements are out of scope; I'm ranting perhaps I don't know. However, these past two weeks in break have taught me a lot. Through research, lurking, and posting I have learned much about how to actually tackle classes. I was never told/taught/shown what I was aiming for in college level science and Engineering classes(obviously a good grade, but I'm talking beyond that). I now realize that what I should seek in these classes, is insight; a deep/deeper understanding of what is going on. For the longest time, I would just do problems, and hope that it would prepare me for the exams. I have found that this approach is somewhat correct, but also wrong. I also learned that I should be taking fewer classes. This allows me to concentrate better on fewer classes, and hopefully get better grades. This is a small portion of what I've learned. Those things are huge conclusions that I have come to. I ask you, even though this question may be considered stupid by most people here on the forum, but I must ask someone. Based on my feelings, and what I've learned from this past term, and these two weeks, is should I keep going? Thank you for your time, and response, but I also ask that you be honest. It's probably silly to ask, but I don't think I have anyone willing to give me an honest opinion. My advisors are content with pushing me along with the rest of the herd, and my friends and family continue to say to me "keep at it" or "just do it." While it's a good morale boost, I think they are partially blowing smoke up my ***, but yet it gives me hope to some extent, and given what I've learned this term, I think maybe I can just pull it off. I fear however, that this next term might turn out like last one, pushing me farther and farther behind scholastically, financially, and emotionally. If you have read this far, I thank you. I really appreciate it. I'm kind of in a dark place right now, and I would like to put this matter to rest as fast as possible so I can get on with my life. Remember, be honest please.

Obelisk, you're the only one who can answer whether you should keep going. I will say this, I've never known anyone who finished college and regretted it later. I've known lots and lots of people who dropped out and later regretted it, though.

But look at what I bolded in your post: perhaps you already know the answer?

I say keep going. Give it at least one more semester. Take fewer hours. Talk with students who are seniors or something, or grad students, and see which ones are the hardest classes. If you have to take a hard class, consider not pairing up another hard class on top of it. Understand that ever-increasing study time is not always a benefit. There is a point where a student studies too much and ends up actually weakening him or herself. I believe this is evidenced by your bedtime. 1:00 am? Seriously?

Also consider whether you're a morning person. You're a college student. You have the power to schedule your semester in such a way as to fit your body clock. I cannot stand morning classes, so I try to schedule my classes after 10:00 am. I don't know if this is your problem, but it may very well be.

One final note. What do they call someone who got C's in every med school course? Doctor. Don't be afraid of being average. You don't have to excel. It's just really, really good if you do. Engineering is definitely one of those fields where you can get by with just a Bachelors. Concentrate on that. As long as you keep your GPA above 2.0, you're on track for your degree.

Angry Citizen said:
I say keep going. Give it at least one more semester. Take fewer hours. Talk with students who are seniors or something, or grad students, and see which ones are the hardest classes. If you have to take a hard class, consider not pairing up another hard class on top of it. Understand that ever-increasing study time is not always a benefit. There is a point where a student studies too much and ends up actually weakening him or herself. I believe this is evidenced by your bedtime. 1:00 am? Seriously?

Also consider whether you're a morning person. You're a college student. You have the power to schedule your semester in such a way as to fit your body clock. I cannot stand morning classes, so I try to schedule my classes after 10:00 am. I don't know if this is your problem, but it may very well be.

One final note. What do they call someone who got C's in every med school course? Doctor. Don't be afraid of being average. You don't have to excel. It's just really, really good if you do. Engineering is definitely one of those fields where you can get by with just a Bachelors. Concentrate on that. As long as you keep your GPA above 2.0, you're on track for your degree.

That is sound. I just don't know/ hope I can get my GPA at 2.7 ish. That's where I start to crumble. It's doing well on tests that gets me. If I got reasonably good grades, I wouldn't be having 70% of the problems I'm having now. This is why I'm doubting myself. I question whether or not I can get good enough grades to get into pro school. I have ideas of how to get better grades, and what I can do better, but I've never tried them out, and I'm at a point where I really need to be "in something" and say I get through my classes, is my GPA good enough to be accepted? Can I pull it off? I don't know. I came in with the best intentions this year, and I got shredded. I gave it my best effort. I ended up by the eighth week getting an average of 5 hours a sleep at night struggling to keep up with classes, and assignments. I made so many sacrifices on top of the ones I made I feel like that on the one hand I could satify myself, and go on, but on the other, I could fail and be back at square 1, or I could inch my way through the material only to be not accepted into pro school.

I'm sorry If I'm being such a bother. It's just that this is my life. Sorry.

Obelisk017 said:
That is sound. I just don't know/ hope I can get my GPA at 2.7 ish. That's where I start to crumble. It's doing well on tests that gets me. If I got reasonably good grades, I wouldn't be having 70% of the problems I'm having now. This is why I'm doubting myself. I question whether or not I can get good enough grades to get into pro school. I have ideas of how to get better grades, and what I can do better, but I've never tried them out, and I'm at a point where I really need to be "in something" and say I get through my classes, is my GPA good enough to be accepted? Can I pull it off? I don't know. I came in with the best intentions this year, and I got shredded. I gave it my best effort. I ended up by the eighth week getting an average of 5 hours a sleep at night struggling to keep up with classes, and assignments. I made so many sacrifices on top of the ones I made I feel like that on the one hand I could satify myself, and go on, but on the other, I could fail and be back at square 1, or I could inch my way through the material only to be not accepted into pro school.

Ah, big breakthrough here...you really need more sleep! Seriously, you can't creatively solve problems or learn new material if you're sleep deprived. It's just a fact.

Btw, this advice is coming from someone who learned the hard way! I went way, way too long on less than 5 hours a night, it was awful.

Others here had good advice: cut back on the number of classes a bit, at least enough to ensure you get sufficient sleep.

I came in with the best intentions this year, and I got shredded.

Then pick yourself up and do it again. You had a hard semester. It happens. I'm almost certain you were overloaded. Can you tell us precisely what you took this last semester, and your subsequent grades?

Also, for what it's worth, I went into last semester with only three classes (twelve hours total). Chemistry, calculus, and physics. I still got a B in physics. Some classes are just absolute, total hell. Happens to the best of us -- and not to be mean, but neither of us can claim to be the best :)

Angry Citizen said:
Then pick yourself up and do it again. You had a hard semester. It happens. I'm almost certain you were overloaded. Can you tell us precisely what you took this last semester, and your subsequent grades?

Also, for what it's worth, I went into last semester with only three classes (twelve hours total). Chemistry, calculus, and physics. I still got a B in physics. Some classes are just absolute, total hell. Happens to the best of us -- and not to be mean, but neither of us can claim to be the best :)

I took Physics 212 (F) Vector Calculus (C-) Organic Chemistry (B) and CBEE 211 (D) I was retaking vector calculus, and organic chemistry.

Okay. What's physics 212? Vector calculus... well, if this corresponds to calculus 3, then you likely didn't devote enough time to practicing the problems. Organic chemistry is a notorious and infamous class that requires a lot of time. I don't know what CBEE 211 is. Could you list the descriptions and course names for physics 212 and CBEE 211? If they are notorious and infamous classes as well, then you were likely taking three weedout classes. Small wonder you had so much trouble!

Physics 212 is just a random grab bag of physics related stuff. such as rotational kinematics, waves, beats, lenses. stuff like that. doesn't exactly build on each other. CBEE 211 is chemical engineering 211. you go over stuff like volumetric flow rate, mass flow rate, single pass, and multiple pass conversion, fractional conversion, extent of reaction, and atomic species balance. I've heard that CBEE 211 is a "gatekeeper class" The physics courses here at OSU are said to be horrid, but honestly, it's challenging, but I've never been exposed to much else, so I say it's challenging.

I'm sure by now you've got an idea of your strengths and weaknesses.

You know in some ways you might be better off than other students. Going through failure can actually be a good thing. It can be a sobering experience and if you put it behind you, can make you a stronger person in that you learn to tolerate it to an extent and not let it define you, but push you to do better: Sometimes people that go through their lives without any failure can crumble very easily and it can completely destroy them.

Also take note that many people who start engineering drop out of engineering. These people that started were probably smart people but I'm sure there are people in this mix that thought that they could coast on their ability. While some can, most can't.

If I were you I would keep at, but I would get in the habit of getting feedback as soon as possible on what you are doing wrong. Every course coordinator is going to focus on a particular set of outcomes to get high marks and I would do what you can to find out exactly what those are so you can focus most of your energy on those outcomes.

Also don't be afraid to look stupid. The majority of people aren't geniuses even in university. Remember that the teachers and lecturers have PhD's and probably even have some industry experience: sometimes when people teach they forget how hard it was when they started learning and don't put enough context out there for the novice to work out.

Basically find all the resources you can to figure out what the lecturers/professors are looking for to give you high marks and do the best you can to utilize them.

Physics 212 is just a random grab bag of physics related stuff. such as rotational kinematics, waves, beats, lenses.

Man, I hated that stuff in my mechanics class. It could've been your instructor. If it's a necessary class, just buckle down and take it with another instructor. I'd probably say this was a difficult class, simply because rotational kinematics and waves are not very intuitive for a lot of people. Don't sweat this. I don't see how it would be extremely relevant to chemical engineering; relevant, yes, but not very.

CBEE 211 is chemical engineering 211. you go over stuff like volumetric flow rate, mass flow rate, single pass, and multiple pass conversion, fractional conversion, extent of reaction, and atomic species balance. I've heard that CBEE 211 is a "gatekeeper class"

Aha. Then you were taking at least two weed classes at the same time. Don't do this. Don't don't don't. You've done your rite of passage. Don't retake organic chemistry again. Your grades are bad, yes. But retake your physics and CBEE classes next semester, and give it your all. If you still have any general education requirements, I recommend doing a couple of them simultaneously just to take it easy on yourself during these two hard classes. Don't give up! Like I said, we all have crappy semesters. I'm likely to have a couple of them myself. Consider this semester an extremely valuable lesson on your limits. It'll come in handy when you start your senior-level coursework.

Angry Citizen said:
Man, I hated that stuff in my mechanics class. It could've been your instructor. If it's a necessary class, just buckle down and take it with another instructor. I'd probably say this was a difficult class, simply because rotational kinematics and waves are not very intuitive for a lot of people. Don't sweat this. I don't see how it would be extremely relevant to chemical engineering; relevant, yes, but not very.

Aha. Then you were taking at least two weed classes at the same time. Don't do this. Don't don't don't. You've done your rite of passage. Don't retake organic chemistry again. Your grades are bad, yes. But retake your physics and CBEE classes next semester, and give it your all. If you still have any general education requirements, I recommend doing a couple of them simultaneously just to take it easy on yourself during these two hard classes. Don't give up! Like I said, we all have crappy semesters. I'm likely to have a couple of them myself. Consider this semester an extremely valuable lesson on your limits. It'll come in handy when you start your senior-level coursework.

That does ring true. I have to take the whole CBEE series next year though, they don't offer it except in the fall. :( Next term I'm going to take Math 306 (matrix and power series), Statics and Dynamics ENGR 211, and some other class I don't know(maybe retake physics?). If I do decide to go through engineering. I'm still just unsure. a lot is at stake. I also question whether or not I will be an effective Engineer. It's going to take me 5 maybe 6 years for a degree that should have taken me 4. I feel so worthless on so many levels right now.

It might also be a good idea to try and find a group of people to do homework with. Make sure not to copy anything; do all the work yourself. But having even one other person to bounce ideas off is a great help.

I don't know how easy it will be to form such groups, but as you get into more advanced classes, class sizes will drop. This should allow for better communication between your classmates, making it easier to form these groups.

SpiffyKavu said:
It might also be a good idea to try and find a group of people to do homework with. Make sure not to copy anything; do all the work yourself. But having even one other person to bounce ideas off is a great help.

I don't know how easy it will be to form such groups, but as you get into more advanced classes, class sizes will drop. This should allow for better communication between your classmates, making it easier to form these groups.

groups? It tried groups. They work to an extent, but if your behind, they do tend to leave you behind.

Obelisk017 said:
I gave it my best effort. I ended up by the eighth week getting an average of 5 hours a sleep at night struggling to keep up with classes, and assignments. I made so many sacrifices on top of the ones I made I feel like that on the one hand I could satify myself, and go on, but on the other, I could fail and be back at square 1, or I could inch my way through the material only to be not accepted into pro school.
You should be proud you gave your best effort, and should continue on giving your best effort. But your first priority is to get more sleep! I bet the only reason you're studying that much, and sleeping as little is that you've been convinced that this is how it's supposed to be, that unless you're doing this, you're not doing enough. But this just isn't true, and you have to realize it is just this stupid part of the North American mentality that is being pushed on top of you. *No one* in Europe studies that much, and throughout my studies back home and abroad for a semester in five years I've never even heard of all-nighters, not from people studying Law, and not from people studying medicine, arguably the two toughest programs at the undergraduate level. I know a friend tried that once, but failed miserably, and we'd just laugh, since we knew it was a ridiculous idea to begin with. Also, my best friend from back home, who studied medicine, was of the firm belief that more than 6 hours of study per day is somewhat stupid, because it's just ineffiecient. He still finished as one of the best med students by GPA. And I bet you'd be given more than a strange look if you were to suggest people from Europe somehow come out of the undergrad having less knowledge than their counterparts across the world.

I know it's tough, and since coming to Canada, this kind of American mentality is rubbing off on me, as well, but just looking at it rationally, there's no reason one should pull all-nighters or go on 5 hours of sleep per day due to studies. In the end it's your choice, if you're happy with such a life, then all the more power to you, but I have a strong sense you're not.

Good luck!

It sounds to me like you need a new mentality. You are putting in all the effort but you need to see things from a different angle. You just aren't prepared for the rigors of upper level courses and you need to find friends who are much smarter than you and try to see the world as they do. I know the reason that I can do the math that I know now is because I was surrounded by it as a child and fostered by people who challenged my way of thinking.

If you make a lower grade than someone else you should ask yourself what you did differently and adapt. If none of this works, the only option is to do another major. Its okay, no matter how much I love music I can't compose the 9th symphony.

Last edited:
I'm going to agree with everyone on the sleep issue. Consider sleep as important as your hardest class and schedule time accordingly. And don't forget to exercise. Taking care of the body is really important. I find that my studying gets a lot more efficient if I take care of my body.

Throughout these posts I've found out that you have a tremendous work ethic (maybe too much, you still need to get some sleep!) and that you are willing to learn. These are all very good things.
But the most important question is: do you enjoy what you do? Do you find your classes interesting? Do you like thinking about your courses?
In my opinion, somebody who doesn't enjoy what he does, will rarely get good grades. Even if they work very hard. And in that case, I think the best thing is to switch majors, do something that you'd like to do...
However, if you DO enjoy your studies, then I would at least give it another try. But this time: sleep enough, don't take to many classes, focus on "I have to learn" instead of "I have to finish this assignment",...

post edited out

I know this is irrelevant to the thread discussion, but from reading this thread I'm scared as hell for college.. very very scared.

What college are you currently attending?

I know this is irrelevant to the thread discussion, but from reading this thread I'm scared as hell for college.. very very scared.

I was too, once :) You'll get used to it. It's harder than high school, yeah, but the really good news is that all the hard college courses you'll ever take are in the major you chose. All the more reason to pick a subject you've fallen head-over-heels in love with.

Oregon State University

micromass said:
Throughout these posts I've found out that you have a tremendous work ethic (maybe too much, you still need to get some sleep!) and that you are willing to learn. These are all very good things.
But the most important question is: do you enjoy what you do? Do you find your classes interesting? Do you like thinking about your courses?
In my opinion, somebody who doesn't enjoy what he does, will rarely get good grades. Even if they work very hard. And in that case, I think the best thing is to switch majors, do something that you'd like to do...
However, if you DO enjoy your studies, then I would at least give it another try. But this time: sleep enough, don't take to many classes, focus on "I have to learn" instead of "I have to finish this assignment",...

I guess I kind of like it. I've never really been exposed to too much honestly. What I can say is Science is concrete, you are either right or wrong, and it doesn't rely on the whim of some other person, say for instance English. That's what I like about the Sciences. I'm not sure if I like this major. When I choose this major, and was choosing majors, I wasn't looking for a perfect fit. Personally, I enjoy Bodybuilding, I love seeing the changes in my body, and seeing the numbers of my lifts go up, but there are very very few people who make money at it, let alone make enough money for it to be a worthwhile income, not only that, but I entertained the idea of becoming a personal trainer, or dietitian, and hated it (did two job shadows). So I did research and came up with this major. I liked chemistry in high school (I had a kick *** teacher) and I made it through Pre Calculus. I thought to myself, "huh, makes sense to go in this major, seems pretty kick ***" It seemed good. Chem E is a worthwhile major, I liked chemistry, and above all else, I could be proud of myself doing this for the rest of my life. The one thing that's holding me back is getting passing grades the first time through- that's what's bothering me. I learned a lot this term, and through this forum how to tackle math, physics, and engineering classes, but I'm not sure that if I can pull this off, and make it, or that I can't and end up crashing, and burning. I have the desire to do good, and the time(I make the time) but this is holding me back. This term I enjoyed Vector Calculus. I thought it was fun, my only regret was that I felt like I didn't have the time to cover it as well as I wanted t to. Physics this term I found annoying. Maybe it was because I didn't have the time, but I felt that it was just a random bunch of stuff that didn't connect. I liked Newtonian Physics. I had an EXCELLENT teacher, and while we were pressed for time, I felt good being able to solve the problems. I remember staying in Kelley Engineering Center for 4+ hours just practicing problems. I did okay on the tests, but I felt really good just knowing how to do the problems. I love Organic Chemistry! I could do reactions all night! It interests me. My Engineering class on the other hand, I felt was kind of a drag. I thought of it merely as a stepping stone to better things. The class was picky. I had to have all the problems don on a certian piece of paper, I had to have all the problems formatted in a certain way. All the problems were ridiculously difficult. I felt kind of boxed in in that class. I felt like the only way to practice was to do these thick, long homework assignments. I don't like that. I like being able to practice a lot if I feel weak in an area. It seemed like you couldn't do that. I tried looking at other problems from the book, and there were to choices to the flavor of problem, ridiculously easy, or ridiculously hard, and having three other classes to worry about, I felt like it wouldn't be wise to do other problems, simply put, some problems weren't worth my time, and other would take a long time to decipher what they wanted(some of these problems were just strangely worded), draw the diagram, and do the problem. I remember being in a group, and doing these problems, one problem could take an hour to do. It was crazy. Looking back on it, after getting some guidance, I probably could have looked at the proble, draw the diagram, and list out the steps to solve it. I just felt like the class didn't agree with my learning style, and what brought me down to some extent was the nit picky aspect of it, and feeling like what I thought was practice was for me, insufficient.

I cannot honestly say 100% that I "absolutely have fallen head over heels" with my major, but what I can say is that I like some aspects of it, and if I feel like if that I'm more strategical with how many classes I allow to take in a term, and figure out how to do better (which I have a better idea of how to(I think)), I could perhaps come up with a more solid answer. I'm not a genius, and I did not have the benifit of 1) a solid high school education, nor knowing what I wanted to do up until my senior year in high school. I do however have a will to do good and learn, a strong work ethic, and a want in some sorts to see myself through. I 've sacrificed too much just to brush this off.

I wouldn't be. If there has been anything my whole college experience has taught me, is to 1) do research about your chosen major, not just salaries, and colleges, but also, the course work; what you can expect. 2) don't be afraid to take it easy your first term. It's important that you identify how you can do well scholastically; what works for you (I'm paying the price right now) 3) I know it's kind of tired rhetoric, but also SCHEDULE! this will become increasingly importiant as you go through college. 4) Studyhacks website! it is a great tool, and I wish I new about it sooner!

Take 3 courses instead of 4 if you're struggling.

Skrew said:
Take 3 courses instead of 4 if you're struggling.

my question is, does this make me less of an Engineer not being able to handle 15+ credits a term?

My Engineering class on the other hand, I felt was kind of a drag. I thought of it merely as a stepping stone to better things. The class was picky. I had to have all the problems don on a certian piece of paper, I had to have all the problems formatted in a certain way. All the problems were ridiculously difficult. I felt kind of boxed in in that class. I felt like the only way to practice was to do these thick, long homework assignments. I don't like that. I like being able to practice a lot if I feel weak in an area. It seemed like you couldn't do that. I tried looking at other problems from the book, and there were to choices to the flavor of problem, ridiculously easy, or ridiculously hard, and having three other classes to worry about, I felt like it wouldn't be wise to do other problems, simply put, some problems weren't worth my time, and other would take a long time to decipher what they wanted(some of these problems were just strangely worded), draw the diagram, and do the problem. I remember being in a group, and doing these problems, one problem could take an hour to do. It was crazy. Looking back on it, after getting some guidance, I probably could have looked at the proble, draw the diagram, and list out the steps to solve it. I just felt like the class didn't agree with my learning style, and what brought me down to some extent was the nit picky aspect of it, and feeling like what I thought was practice was for me, insufficient.

Hi Obelisk. In this quote, you talk about an engineering course that you took that was picky, and you didn't like how picky it was. But I think it was picky so that you could learn how to manage complexity. And actually, I think that is what this is about.

Getting good grades is an engineering problem. One has limited time, limited attention span, limited energy, etc, and managing these factors can bring about the desired result. Solving an engineering problem that takes an hour to solve is like a small-scale version of solving the semester-long problem of getting the grades you need.

So let's think about this. You spent many hours, used all the resources you could (advisors, working in groups, etc) but did not do as well as you needed to. Can we compare this to one of those hour-long engineering problems?

Suppose problem A is one of those engineering problems. Let's say you read and reread the question, to make sure you know what it says. You identify what type of problem it is. You draw a neat diagram. You set to work on the first step of the solution process. You meticulously write down the first portion of the solution. But by now, your attention is starting to wane and you make mistakes. It takes you 60-90 minutes to finish the problem, but now you are bushed. It was hard work but the problem is done and you feel good about it. You hand it in and don't get good marks for it.

Now you look back at it and think, "but I did everything so meticulously, perhaps engineering is just not for me".

How could this have gone better? Let's compare this to another approach to Problem A.

Now, you read problem A, but you know a few things. You know that Problem A is probably a pretty routine exercise like most homework exercises are. It is probably similar to other problems you have done. Perhaps it uses new concepts that you have just learned, but only a small portion of the problem will rely on the new material.

So you analyse the problem to see what you can learn from it. The steps that only use material you already know, you don't spend too much attention on. You draw a simple diagram and work through the problem in a casual way until you come to the new area.

Now it is worth spending more time and being more careful. You think and identify how to solve this part of the problem. You write down the steps you wish to take, commiting to think about them some more later.

Now you go back to solving the problem. This part is routine again, not too much attention required.

You get to the end of problem A not too bushed, and it isn't too neat or nicely laid out, but that's okay, the unfamiliar part was well marked. You spend a little time now considering how it was solved, and how to identify when you must do that in future. That is, how will you recognize this type of problem in future?

It took you 50 minutes to solve the problem, plus ten minutes thinking about the question so that next time, you'll identify it and know how to solve it. With a little more practice, you'll have it down cold.

What now? You write it up neatly if it must be handed in, or you proceed to the problems that must be handed in, and your marks are reasonable.

Okay, those were the two scenarios. But our job now is not done. Let us compare them. In the first scenario, the problem was solved but mistakes were made because unnatural demands were made on one's attention. The problem became a chore and when it was completed, little energy or motivation remained to analyse the problem and learn from it. Even with future practice, exam problems combining multiple concepts would have seemed foreign and confusing. No homework problem was quite like them.

In the second scenario, attention was saved for when it was most needed, and the new material was reviewed afterwards so that it was recognisable in future. With practice, exam questions combining multiple concepts could be analysed and broken down into components that were close enough to the homework problems to be handled confidently.

This is my analysis of the matter of how to approach homework, so as to do better in exams. Is this enough? Well, homework is important for two reasons. It helps you learn and gives you marks. Perhaps more is important, but little can be more important.

But this is a lot of talk. There is no great art to talking. I leave the rest to you, Obelisk.

<h2>1. Should I keep going?</h2><p>The decision to keep going or not depends on your personal goals and motivations. Consider whether you are still passionate about your work and if it aligns with your long-term goals. It may also be helpful to seek advice from trusted mentors or colleagues.</p><h2>2. Should I leave?</h2><p>Deciding to leave a project or job can be difficult, but it is important to consider your overall happiness and well-being. Evaluate whether the work is fulfilling and if you have opportunities for growth and advancement. If you are unhappy and there are no potential solutions, it may be best to move on.</p><h2>3. If I stay, what do I do?</h2><p>If you decide to stay, it is important to communicate your concerns and needs with your team or supervisor. Together, you can work on finding solutions and making necessary changes. It may also be helpful to set specific goals and create a plan for achieving them.</p><h2>4. How do I know if I should keep going or leave?</h2><p>This decision ultimately depends on your personal circumstances and priorities. Consider the pros and cons of staying and leaving, and weigh them against your goals and values. It may also be helpful to seek advice from others who have been in similar situations.</p><h2>5. What are some signs that it's time to leave?</h2><p>Some signs that it may be time to leave include feeling consistently unhappy or unfulfilled in your work, lack of growth or advancement opportunities, and a toxic work environment. It may also be a good idea to reevaluate if your work aligns with your long-term goals and passions.</p>

1. Should I keep going?

The decision to keep going or not depends on your personal goals and motivations. Consider whether you are still passionate about your work and if it aligns with your long-term goals. It may also be helpful to seek advice from trusted mentors or colleagues.

2. Should I leave?

Deciding to leave a project or job can be difficult, but it is important to consider your overall happiness and well-being. Evaluate whether the work is fulfilling and if you have opportunities for growth and advancement. If you are unhappy and there are no potential solutions, it may be best to move on.

3. If I stay, what do I do?

If you decide to stay, it is important to communicate your concerns and needs with your team or supervisor. Together, you can work on finding solutions and making necessary changes. It may also be helpful to set specific goals and create a plan for achieving them.

4. How do I know if I should keep going or leave?

This decision ultimately depends on your personal circumstances and priorities. Consider the pros and cons of staying and leaving, and weigh them against your goals and values. It may also be helpful to seek advice from others who have been in similar situations.

5. What are some signs that it's time to leave?

Some signs that it may be time to leave include feeling consistently unhappy or unfulfilled in your work, lack of growth or advancement opportunities, and a toxic work environment. It may also be a good idea to reevaluate if your work aligns with your long-term goals and passions.