Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I learn C++ before C#

1. Jul 16, 2008 #1
    I have a hardware design thesis project and I'll be required to write a desktop windows application that will interpret data from a wireless blue tooth device.

I'm currently looking at the Microsoft visual studio express dev environment and tutorials regarding C++ and C#.

Now most of my friends doing PhD suggested I do the GUI in C#.

Should I learn C++ prior to C# to get a better handle of the two, or jump straight into learning C# due to time constraints?

Edit:

I have 3 years of programming background in C, kernal programming with RTI linux (6 months) and 2 Years of java behind me. However I'm not that confident a programmer, would anyone have any further tips/sites for me to look at in the mean time?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2008 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want to program in C#, just learn C#. It's not hard to pick up; it took me about a month.

There are benefits to learning C++, of course, but as a stepping stone it won't be much good at all.

4. Jul 16, 2008 #3
    I picked up C# several years ago when it first came out. I had maybe a year of C++ under my belt and it was a breeze. I don't see any reason why you can't drive right into C#.

5. Jul 16, 2008 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Ditto the above. If you want to use C# then just learn C#. If later you find you need to use C++ then you can learn C++ at that point.

6. Jul 17, 2008 #5
    What advantages does C# have over C++? I know a bit of C++, but I've only ever worked with consoles, however before completing my BS, I want to create a GUI based application on windows, what would I want to learn further in C++ or jump to some other language? I still have three more years to go :D.

7. Jul 17, 2008 #6

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Learn what you intendto or must use. Deferring getting into C# is a waste of your time.

8. Jul 17, 2008 #7

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In a nutshell:
    C++ programs run faster. C# programs are developed faster.

9. Jul 17, 2008 #8
    So C# is easier to code in than C++?

10. Jul 17, 2008 #9
    That's too simplistic an approach to the issue. C# is more suited to some types of project than C++, and C++ is more suited to other types of project than C#. Ultimately, the question of which language is better suited to a given objective would be decided on a case by case basis.

11. Jul 17, 2008 #10
    Go with C#. C++ is great but it's kind of messy. You'll get confused over minor things instead of learning the big picture. You don't need one for the other, either. C# has similarities to C++, but it's still different. It's like asking whether you should earn how to ride a motorcycle before learning how to ride a car. Doesn't really matter.

The cool thing is that once you learn a programming language, jumping into a different one is pretty easy.

12. Jul 19, 2008 #11
    Thanks, I'll focus on C# then.

Would the microsoft express tutorials be sufficient?

13. Jul 19, 2008 #12

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They'll probably get you started just fine.

I was able to program in C# after just reading the design spec sheet (~90 pages) and playing around with it.

14. Jul 22, 2008 #13
    thanks for the help

15. Jul 28, 2008 #14
    First question, why do you want to learn those languages anyway, when you already have
    3 years of C programming under your belt? The Win32 API is coded in C, so you should be able to do Windows programming already.

Do you have experience in object oriented design? I am asking this because you have been coding in C for three years, and C is a procedural language, while C# is highly object oriented, with C++ being in the middle. While learning the syntax of of C# may be easy, the design of the programs written in C and C# are very, very different, so there is a very high possibility that you will struggle with the language.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?