Should I lie about my age in college?

• Thread starter mobiusdafrost
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of lying about one's age or year in school. The original speaker is tired of people being surprised that they are a junior in college and is considering lying about their year from now on. Others in the conversation point out that the surprise is a natural reaction and suggest simply explaining the reason for transferring. Some jokingly suggest lying about other things, such as their weight or hair color. The conversation also touches on the use of calculators and abacuses, with one person mentioning a teacher's success in teaching students using an abacus. The conversation ends with a mention of doing factorials on an abacus and a slide rule.
mobiusdafrost
I'm a junior in college and just transferred to my new school. whenever i meet new people, they all seem very surprised that I am a junior not a freshman. I'm getting really fed up with this! I've been thinking about lying to people from now on: tellign them that I'm actually a sophmore

Physics news on Phys.org
uh......okay.

i'm 4

I really don't see the point in lying about your age or year in school. People are generally just curious and their surprise is a natural reaction as transfer students are typically rare in any undergraduate school. Just take some time to explain to people why you transferred, the curiosity will eventually dampen itself and you will become an inherent part of your new campus.

meh, he is 5, and the next person who posts should be 6 years old

What's next?So you're going to lie about whatever make people surprised about you and just turn to a person people expect you to be through lies?:tongue:

It depends on sex. If you are woman you start to lie about your age much earlier.

Still, college sounds a lot too early.

unless you can get sex by lying about your age. then college is the perfect time

mobiusdafrost said:
i've been thinking about lying to people from now on: tellign them that I'm actually a sophmore

Why don't you say that you are a sophomore and a liar ? :tongue2:

Why lie when a simple change of base can accomplish the same thing.

I'm 34.

I am 13!

BobG said:
Why lie when a simple change of base can accomplish the same thing.

I'm 34.

52?

I should explore numbers more.

I am 10 then; this way I even don't have to remember my age :smile:

I'm 38.

Hex

no offense but you kind of sound like a tool. id get quite a kick out of it if people were thinking i was a freshmen. hell, i find it funny when the seventeen year old girls at school think I am a freshmen. here's what will really piss everyone off... what ever anyone says, just go along with it. no one will know what the hell is going on.

I'm 2C

lisab said:
I'm 2C
I can't wait 2C how that goes over at the DMV.

rootX said:
I am 13!

Ouch, Even if those were seconds it is still a double life time.

Andre said:
Ouch, Even if those were seconds it is still a double life time.

I was just punching up that number (FACT(13)) in Excel. :approve:

turbo-1 said:
I can't wait 2C how that goes over at the DMV.

:rolleyes:

Of course, it would be fun to list your age as 2C, weight as 660 Newtons, and hair color as Natural Instincts #13. At least until they sent you back to the end of the line. :cry:

BobG said:
:rolleyes:

Of course, it would be fun to list your age as 2C, weight as 660 Newtons, and hair color as Natural Instincts #13. At least until they sent you back to the end of the line. :cry:

I tend to think they've seen it all at the DMV -- including the jokers who think they're the first ones to ever put "YES" down for sex.

Math Is Hard said:
I was just punching up that number (FACT(13)) in Excel. :approve:

Excel!?

Ha! I can punch up that number on my HP-27 hand held calculator (at least if I push the back in just right so the power switch stays on). My dad still held on to it after all these years and gave it to me last week. I received an abacus in a very nice wooden case from China (given to me by my sister) and a calculator all in the same week! :approve:

BobG said:
Excel!?

Ha! I can punch up that number on my HP-27 hand held calculator (at least if I push the back in just right so the power switch stays on). My dad still held on to it after all these years and gave it to me last week. I received an abacus in a very nice wooden case from China (given to me by my sister) and a calculator all in the same week! :approve:

Was it your birthday?
I want an abacus really bad. I want a really pretty one that has semi-precious stones for the beads. :!)

I just happened to have Excel open to do my bean counting, so I thought I would see if it had a factorial function. I was kinda surprised that it did. I don't know why; there's not much I've asked it for that it didn't deliver.

Math Is Hard said:
Was it your birthday?
I want an abacus really bad. I want a really pretty one that has semi-precious stones for the beads. :!)

I just happened to have Excel open to do my bean counting, so I thought I would see if it had a factorial function. I was kinda surprised that it did. I don't know why; there's not much I've asked it for that it didn't deliver.

First time home to see the family since I graduated. :biggrin:

BobG said:
Excel!?

At least with an abacus you don't have to worry about batteries or power switches staying on. :biggrin:

I saw a documentary about a teacher here in America who decided to teach his students using an abacus and it was a huge success. It's amazing how fast they were and I don't understand it, but they regularly beat people using calculators.

Moonbear said:
At least with an abacus you don't have to worry about batteries or power switches staying on. :biggrin:

I think I'd have a hard time doing factorials on an abacus, but I wouldn't say I'm a qualified user. It's fairly easy to do with a slide rule, although my accuracy is only good to within about 0.5% if I do it quickly (13 readings, summing them, and finding the antilog makes some error inevitable - in fact, if all of my readings rounded off in the same direction, I could wind up off by 2%, theoretically, but there's only a 0.012% chance of that happening).

Last edited:
tribdog said:
I saw a documentary about a teacher here in America who decided to teach his students using an abacus and it was a huge success. It's amazing how fast they were and I don't understand it, but they regularly beat people using calculators.

There's a good chance that they don't understand it, either. They just memorize the right moves to make for different operations.

A person can easily calculate a cube root in their head faster than a person can on an abacus - at least if it's the cube root of a lucky number like 1729.03.

Gokul originally linked to this story and it's always been a favorite of mine. In fact, my brother brought up the same story when my sister gave me my abacus. (Talk about a family of nerds. :rofl: At our reunion last year, we sat around the campfire, drinking beer and playing 'sevens'.)

Borek said:
It depends on sex. If you are woman you start to lie about your age much earlier.

Still, college sounds a lot too early.

I look like I'm in middle school, but I'm in college.

I just say that everyone when everyone is old and decrepit, I'll be the young one! Mwahahahahaha!

no one heard that...

Okay okay I'm actually [tex]2N_A[/tex] is my real age.
(since lisab told her real age, I guess I have to as well)

Last edited:
~christina~ said:

I just say that everyone when everyone is old and decrepit, I'll be the young one! Mwahahahahaha!

no one heard that...

Okay okay I'm actually [tex]2N_A[/tex] is my real age.
(since lisab told her real age, I guess I have to as well)

Sorry doesn't work that way. I was getting carded for lottery tickets when I was 35. I'm now 39 and grey haired (silver) and can order off the senior menu at IHOP.

According to einstein laws of relative motion, i should be......

meh, forget it, i don't like to calculate in my head

C'mon, if you're going to lie, come up with something better than that. Tell people that Osama bin Laden is your grandfather, when you were 11 he blew up a pony for your birthday, and that when you learned to drive you didn't learn how to park, so you have to leap out of the door and wait until it comes to a stop against the nearest convenient brick wall. Then ask to borrow their car.

I'm 1,012. In trinary. "When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good, you will not."

~christina~ said:

Who's old and decrepit? I actually got carded a few days ago! (OK so as it turned out, the guy just wanted to know my name so he could hit on me, but still...it counts!)

lisab said:
Who's old and decrepit? I actually got carded a few days ago! (OK so as it turned out, the guy just wanted to know my name so he could hit on me, but still...it counts!)
On my 30th birthday, the local "Sack o' Suds" had gotten a new cashier, and she carded me. I was the lead operator on a new high-speed paper machine, and was covered with flecks of stock from a sheet break before quitting time - the work clothes and pulp fiber should have tipped her off that I just got off work at the mill. There were 3 or 4 guys from my shift in line behind me (also buying beer - papermaking is hot, thirsty work) laughing at me because the cashier didn't believe I was 21. I had to go back out my truck for ID - you don't carry anything in your pockets on a paper machine, except vital tools like a knife.

CaptainQuasar said:
C'mon, if you're going to lie, come up with something better than that. Tell people that Osama bin Laden is your grandfather, when you were 11 he blew up a pony for your birthday, and that when you learned to drive you didn't learn how to park, so you have to leap out of the door and wait until it comes to a stop against the nearest convenient brick wall. Then ask to borrow their car.

I'm 1,012. In trinary. "When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good, you will not."

"Nanny Ogg had a practical mind about the truth. She told it when it was convenient or she couldn't come up with anything more interesting." - Terry Pratchet

<h2>1. Should I lie about my age in college?</h2><p>It is not recommended to lie about your age in college. This can lead to potential consequences, such as being caught in the lie and facing disciplinary action from the college or damaging your reputation among your peers.</p><h2>2. What are the potential benefits of lying about my age in college?</h2><p>There are no guaranteed benefits to lying about your age in college. While it may seem like it could help you fit in with a younger crowd, it can also create a sense of dishonesty and mistrust among your peers.</p><h2>3. Will lying about my age affect my academic performance?</h2><p>Lying about your age is unlikely to directly affect your academic performance. However, if you are caught in the lie, it can create distractions and stress that could potentially impact your grades.</p><h2>4. Can I get in trouble for lying about my age in college?</h2><p>Yes, you can get in trouble for lying about your age in college. Depending on the severity of the lie and the policies of your college, you could face disciplinary action such as probation, suspension, or even expulsion.</p><h2>5. Is it common for students to lie about their age in college?</h2><p>It is not common for students to lie about their age in college. While there may be some individuals who do so, it is generally not considered socially acceptable and can have negative consequences as mentioned before. It is important to be honest about your age and embrace your unique journey in higher education.</p>

1. Should I lie about my age in college?

It is not recommended to lie about your age in college. This can lead to potential consequences, such as being caught in the lie and facing disciplinary action from the college or damaging your reputation among your peers.

2. What are the potential benefits of lying about my age in college?

There are no guaranteed benefits to lying about your age in college. While it may seem like it could help you fit in with a younger crowd, it can also create a sense of dishonesty and mistrust among your peers.

3. Will lying about my age affect my academic performance?

Lying about your age is unlikely to directly affect your academic performance. However, if you are caught in the lie, it can create distractions and stress that could potentially impact your grades.

4. Can I get in trouble for lying about my age in college?

Yes, you can get in trouble for lying about your age in college. Depending on the severity of the lie and the policies of your college, you could face disciplinary action such as probation, suspension, or even expulsion.

5. Is it common for students to lie about their age in college?

It is not common for students to lie about their age in college. While there may be some individuals who do so, it is generally not considered socially acceptable and can have negative consequences as mentioned before. It is important to be honest about your age and embrace your unique journey in higher education.