Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I live dangerously?

1. Jan 25, 2005 #1
    They just came on TV and said I need to boil my water. So does most all of Phoenix. Last night one of the water treatment plants released a bunch of contaminated water into the system. Now they think it might be contaminated with Cryptospyridium. Know anything about it?
    I'm just gonna sit here dirty, stinky and thirsty until I learn more.
    Or maybe I'll strip, jump in the shower and dare any crypto. to infect me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2005 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hmm.. sorry to sound so negative but I guess either way you're a dead man.

If you boil the water, you'll probably set the kitchen on fire and burn yourself up. :surprised
    If you use the contaminated water, the crypto critters in it will probably kill you. :yuck:
    Sorry, trib. it doesn't look good for you. :frown:

The good news is that whoever took that long-shot bet that the monkey wouldn't bite you is going to be very wealthy soon. :biggrin:

4. Jan 25, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Jan 25, 2005 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That bug will give you diarrhea and nauseate you, so I'd opt for bottled water :wink:

6. Jan 25, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:frown: Looks like trib's days are numbered.

Hey guys, in a few days I'm likely to be available again, anyone interested? :tongue: (Hey, who rearranged the smilies? They're in a new order today!)

7. Jan 25, 2005 #6
    The monkey bets don't count yet. I haven't been back to see it.
    Bottled water? I don't want to go to the store. (in case you can't tell i'm whining) I worked all day and I don't feel like it. What's a little diarrhea? Damn. I'm out of toilet paper too.

8. Jan 25, 2005 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I remember a few years ago receiving a notice from the water company telling me it was now safe to drink the water again. I never received the notice saying it was contaminated. :grumpy:

9. Jan 25, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You better stock up on both. Knowing you, you'll forget sometime in the middle of the night and get up and get a glass of water before remembering the boil advisory.

This must mean your leg is feeling better if you're ready to embark on a new reason to visit the doctor. Surely the ER staff is missing you already. :rofl:

10. Jan 25, 2005 #9
    am I getting more thirsty than usual simply because I want what I can't have?
    and yes leg feels great. looks pretty good too. You should have seen it. I had a hole in my leg big enough to hold four nickels, the fifth one kept falling out.

11. Jan 25, 2005 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hmm...I guess you don't have Pink Dot in AZ.

12. Jan 25, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahem, as I was saying, guys, it shouldn't be long at all before I'm available again. No point in waiting until the last minute to start finding a replacement. There is the required mourning period, but I think by wearing black now, I can get some of that out of the way ahead of time. :biggrin:

13. Jan 25, 2005 #12
    they just came back on the TV and said it's okay for me to drink the water, I'm far enough East to not have to worry about contamination.
    *turns on faucet and tests with finger, too warm*
    they want me conserve water now.
    *testing...still warm*
    So I'm conserving now, I'm not going to waste any. I'm just going to take a bath and go to bed.
    *water's cold, filling glass*
    Here in Arizona it is always good to conserve a precious resource like water.
    *taking a sip, pouring rest down the sink*

14. Jan 25, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

False alarm! Guys, head out the backdoor, shhhh, on tiptoes! And cover your tracks in the snow. Oh, but don't go too far. He's bound to visit that monkey again soon.

:biggrin: Um, hi trib, uh, good to know your water supply is safe. o:)

15. Jan 25, 2005 #14
    I don't trust them though. That's why I'm filling up 20 55 gallon drums with water, just in case. I know what conserve means.

16. Jan 25, 2005 #15
    you might want to fill up 40, just in case.

17. Jan 25, 2005 #16
    good thinking. I'll conserve this damn water until there's not a drop left in Arizona

18. Feb 3, 2005 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We had just had a water main break in Westwood last night so the water supply here is feared to be contaminated.
    Everyone is very irritable this morning (me included) because the coffee places are closed!

19. Feb 3, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Coffee tastes better when brewed with bottled water anyway. But clearly not having coffee is far worse than not being able to shower or brush your teeth. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?