Showing Determination & Leadership for Physics App: Strategies

In summary, your experience teaching general physics and calculus to people you know will show that you are a leader and able to get others to follow your lead.
alemsalem
Should I mention for example hiking to demonstrate my determination, or describe my experience in being a member of organizations such as AIESEC, which might demonstrate my team and leadership skills but has nothing to do with physics.

Physics news on Phys.org

You want your determination to show up in your letters, grades and test scores. If they show up there, hiking won't matter. If they don't show up there, hiking won't matter.

The mention of other information will help to round out the picture your application has of you as a person, but is unlikely to have any significant impact on your relative ranking among applicants. It is nice to include this kind of information somewhere, so at least when you're being introduced around the department, people will have something to say about you. Also, I suppose there can be a psychological element to these things. I spend a fair amount of time hiking myself and so may subconsciously rank someone else who hikes above someone else who doesn't (although I would consciously make an effort NOT to do this).

I wouldn't add such information at the expense of information that will make a difference such as undergraduate projects and experiences.

I think so too, someone was telling me that i needed to add extra-curricular activities so that I don't appear as a single-track person..

As for letters I have two professors saying that I'm one of the best two students that they taught,, they also explain why I don't have a very good GPA (3.26, 8th on my class),, my PGRE score is 930 (90%) ,, and I have a six months work experience at Jordan atomic energy commission.

I have no idea how strong my application is, so I'm applying to 10 schools covering the ranking spectrum.

This is math, not physics... but professors I've talked to said they hate hearing about things not related to math in personal statements.

how about teaching experience,, I know that's relevant but its not formal, it was just me teaching general physics and calculus to people i knew (throughout the semester)..

alemsalem said:
I think so too, someone was telling me that i needed to add extra-curricular activities so that I don't appear as a single-track person..

That's what they want though. This isn't an undergrad application. Your one goal as a graduate student is to work and produce research, not contribute to "campus life", as some institutions would say.

1. How can I effectively demonstrate determination and leadership in a physics app?

In order to demonstrate determination and leadership in a physics app, it is important to first have a clear understanding of the app's purpose and goals. This will allow you to set a strong direction and lead by example. Additionally, it is important to communicate effectively with your team and delegate tasks efficiently. Showing a strong work ethic and a willingness to take on challenges will also demonstrate determination and leadership.

2. What strategies can I use to showcase my determination in a physics app?

One strategy is to set specific, achievable goals and consistently work towards them. This will demonstrate your determination to succeed and make progress. Additionally, being proactive and taking initiative in problem-solving and decision-making will show your determination to find solutions and drive the project forward.

3. How can I display leadership skills in a physics app?

Leadership skills can be displayed by effectively managing and motivating a team, delegating tasks, and fostering a positive and collaborative work environment. It is also important to communicate openly and clearly with team members and listen to their input and ideas. Taking responsibility for the project's success and making tough decisions when needed are also key aspects of leadership.

4. How can I show my commitment to the physics app project as a leader?

One way to show commitment is to consistently meet project deadlines and complete tasks to the best of your ability. This demonstrates a strong work ethic and dedication to the project's success. Additionally, being open to feedback and continuously seeking ways to improve and enhance the app shows a commitment to its development and success.

5. What are some examples of successful determination and leadership in a physics app project?

Examples of successful determination and leadership in a physics app project may include overcoming technical challenges, effectively managing team dynamics, and successfully completing the app within the desired timeframe. These examples can also include taking on additional responsibilities and going above and beyond to ensure the success of the project.