1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I minor in math?

1. Sep 17, 2011 #1
    Basically I noticed that I plan on taking enough math classes to fulfill my schools math minor without even taking any more classes that I was originally planning. Will a minor in math make me more competitive for grad school in physics and the job market?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why does it matter? You said you're planning on taking the classes anyway.

4. Sep 18, 2011 #3
    I don't know how minors work, wouldn't my degree say that I completed a minor in math or something extra like that?

5. Sep 18, 2011 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

But you've already decided to take the classes. So what difference does it make?

6. Sep 18, 2011 #5
    It's pretty much assumed that you know a good amount of math if you have a BS in Physics, so it may not be of much value, nonetheless it would still look nice on your degree.

7. Sep 18, 2011 #6
    As long as I get like a extra piece of paper saying that I completed the minor then I'm okay. I'll declare my minor in math then.

8. Sep 18, 2011 #7
    Yea I don't get the point of this topic. You might not gain anything from having the minor but you wont lose anything. So if you satisfy the requirements then yea get it. Too lazy to fill out some paperwork or something?

Which reminds me, I should prolly declare my math minor >_>. By the end of this semester I will just be 1 class short lol. I'll prolly declare it and finish it at the same time, maybe for dramatic effect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook