Should I pursue a Master's or PhD from BS EE? Perception of this choice?

In summary, ZapperZ thinks that pursuing a master's degree first may solve the knowledge gap and lack of relationships, but it may not be seen as a positive within the physics community. He has no letters of recommendation and is not academically ready for a PhD program, so he is considering applying directly to a PhD program.
smashueatu
After I finished my EE degree (Major/Cumul GPA: 3.6, mostly A's in math and physics) in December 2015, I began work as a programmer at an electric company for a couple of years. I saved up a good amount of money and established myself to the point where I have the free time to even think about education and where I want to go next.

Some part of me always wanted to pursue higher education in physics due to the amazing experience I had in my physics courses at university, so I am considering going back to pursue an advanced degree. I maintained no relationships with professors after graduation, although I worked with two of them on research.

So, should I pursue a master's first to solve the problem of the knowledge gap and lack of relationships? Or is there a path forward to apply directly for a PhD? Is a master's degree seen as a negative in the physics community, especially when applying for PhD programs? Is my decision to pursue an alternative career path viewed as a negative within the physics community, especially when applying for PhD programs and jobs?

I hold no illusion of obtaining an academic position. I just have a strong interest in the subject and working in it (whatever that means), and I haven't found any good answers to my questions.

Before ZapperZ comments, I am aware of this post: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...if-my-bachelors-degree-isnt-in-physics.64966/

And I am NOT even remotely academically ready for a PhD program or even a master's program. Some refreshing and new learning is needed.

Likes newguy220 and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
In general, PhD programs prefer undergrads on whom they can impress their course knowledge and methods on. Someone coming from another school with a masters can’t be domesticated in the same way and are harder to deal with. That’s the perception which may in fact hide some ageist beliefs since MS students are a few maybe five or more years older. Also undergrads can be paid less, have less baggage and experience and are less likely to complain about treatment.

Lastly, coming in with an MS may mean you will still have to take some courses to get up to speed in their program and the overall time in school will be longer.

@Orodruin, @Nugatory or @ZapperZ can provide better advice here as my only experience is as a student going to grad school 5 years after getting my BS. My skills were pretty rusty and eventually I had to drop the Physics PhD notion and switch to comp Sci MS where I had more experience.

jedishrfu said:
That’s the perception which may in fact hide some ageist beliefs since MS students are a few maybe five or more years older

Thanks for your reply.

Was this just your personal experience, or did you know many people with this mindset?

And unfortunately, I don't have any ideas for letters of recommendation. I have my old bosses from my previous workplace (non-academic, out of field), but other than them, I don't have any academic contacts remaining. So, I don't know how I would get new relationships without attending somewhere as a non-degree seeker.

What I've said is mostly from personal experience and perception at the time. In my case, because I applied to the PhD program I was being corralled into taking the PhD qualifying exam within a year of being there despite the fact that I was working and taking one course per semester. With rusty skills, there was no way I could pass and they were unwilling to let it slide to a second or third year.

Also, I got the distinct impression that they didn't like me working fulltime as often grad students are accepted into the program and expected to handle the prof's workload of grading papers and so I wasn't in that camp. I guess they felt I wasn't "serious" enough to want a PhD.

The final straw came when I had to travel and couldn't get back in time to process my work tuition refund ie the money I would use for the next course to pay for my next course and so I dropped the program and switch to CS at another school closer to home which was a better less stressful solution.

I've heard from other grad students from time to time and they have experienced similar issues although that doesn't mean it's rampant or even happening now. My brother experienced the issue of an advisor who "forgot" about him and others as he got disinterested in their work and pressed into new fields. The dept chair went after him to graduate his students as he was bringing the department down with transfers out of the program because of it.

I think it's interesting that you are an active contributor on this forum despite your background and experience with physics academia. What keeps you in the community despite that?

Also, I am making an assumption here, but were you a comp sci undergrad? If so, what did the actual path look like to getting admitted, for you personally?

Likes jedishrfu
No I was a Physics undergrad many decades ago. My initial goal was to learn about the Unified Field Theory. Our college had a prof that specialized in it but he left when I arrived. I was reluctant to leave my hometown at the time and so became a programmer upon early graduation.

Later, I went back for graduate school for Physics part-time but switched over to CS with the notion of doing computer simulations before those things were popular in industry.

jedishrfu said:
No I was a Physics undergrad many decades ago. My initial goal was to learn about the Unified Field Theory. Our college had a prof that specialized in it but he left when I arrived. I was reluctant to leave my hometown at the time and so became a programmer upon early graduation.

Later, I went back for graduate school for Physics part-time but switched over to CS with the notion of doing computer simulations before those things were popular in industry.

Awesome, thanks again for you sharing your experience :)

Likes jedishrfu

1. Should I pursue a Master's or PhD after completing my BS in Electrical Engineering?

It ultimately depends on your personal career goals and interests. A Master's degree typically takes 1-2 years to complete and can provide a deeper understanding of a specific area within electrical engineering. A PhD, on the other hand, can take 4-6 years and focuses on original research and contributing new knowledge to the field. Consider your long-term career aspirations and whether a Master's or PhD aligns better with them.

2. What is the difference between a Master's and PhD in Electrical Engineering?

A Master's degree is a more specialized degree that focuses on a specific area within electrical engineering. It typically involves coursework and a final project or thesis. A PhD, on the other hand, is a research-focused degree that requires original research and a dissertation. It prepares students for careers in academia or research.

3. Will having a Master's or PhD in Electrical Engineering increase my job opportunities?

Having a Master's or PhD can open up more job opportunities, especially in specialized areas of electrical engineering. It can also lead to higher salaries and positions with more responsibility. However, it is important to note that job opportunities and salary also depend on factors such as experience, location, and industry demand.

4. How do I decide between a Master's or PhD program?

Consider your long-term career goals, the time and financial commitment of each program, and your research interests. If you are interested in a career in academia or research, a PhD may be the better option. If you are looking to gain specialized knowledge and skills in a specific area, a Master's degree may be a better fit.

5. Is it possible to switch from a Master's to a PhD program or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to switch between a Master's and PhD program, but it may require additional coursework or research. It is important to discuss this with your academic advisor and the program directors to determine the best path for your individual goals and circumstances.