1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I pursue Math?

1. Sep 27, 2007 #1
    I just wanted some advice about my situation:

I will soon graduate with a BSc. in physics after 4 years of undergraduate eduacation. However, for the past few years I have increasingly been losing interest in the subject. There is no topic that really excites me. Nonetheless, I have continued on with my undergraduate studies since I have been doing very well grade wise.

Recently, I have been enjoying solving math problems and proving things. I have perused more advanced (than what Im used to) topics such as advanced algebra and analysis which both seem very interesting. In fact, after some reflection, I have started to realize that what drew me to physics in the first place was the use of equations and numbers as well as proof. The more I think about it, the more interested I get in math. I have obviously taken math classes for my physics degree, but they were mostly exercise rather than proof based (Stewart for calculus, etc.) I am now starting to think about taking action and taking some advanced math classes for math majors after I finish my degree.

My concern is that if I continue with undergraduate studies (beyond the usual 4 years), then I will be wasting valuable time which could be spent getting job experience, etc. Furthermore, I feel that if I change directions now then it will be kind of like admitting that the past four years have been a big waste of time and money. Should someone in my situation pursue his interest in studying math or is the whole idea simply just a silly diversion.

Sorry for the long post. Any advice or comments from people (particularly someone who was in a similar situation realizing a passion for mathematics late in his/her education and took action on it) would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think the only reason you should switch is if you're looking to go onto graduate studies in maths. However, from the sounds of your post, you are looking to get a job, and so it won't matter whether you have a maths or physics degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?