Should I put my computer in the fridge?

In summary, the individual is considering putting their computer and stereo in a fridge to help with heat issues. They would cut a hole for wires and make it semi air tight to keep cool air in. However, others advise against it and suggest getting a better heatsink/fan for the computer or mounting a fan on the audio receiver. They also mention the risk of condensation and suggest using an air conditioner instead to avoid this issue.
Krazie
I was wondering, would it be ok to put my computer and stereo in a fridge. These are the only things that I would put in this fridge (no food or drink) and I would keep the fridge not too cold. I keep my house rather warm, and am have a heat problem with my computer and a big heat problem with my stereo receiver. They both get very hot. Has anyone here ever done this?
I would cut a hole in the back for the wires to come out, and somehow I would make it semi air tight around the cables too keep the cool air in the fridge. Can you put these electronic items in a close to air tight environment like this? Is this a dumb idea?

Computer science news on Phys.org
In the winter when the humidity is low, you probably would be ok, but its really not worth the risk. Those things are designed to work when they're warm. If you're overclocking the computer or doing something that makes it generate more heat than it usually does, get a better heatsink/fan for he processor or some more airflow for the case.

I am actually having more problem with the audio receiver. It does not have a fan in it at all. Should I just mount a fan on it? It gets REALLY hot. I just bought it yesterday at a pawn shop. The sound quality is incredible. It is 5.1 surround too. And I got it for only $195, with the five speakers the sub, and the guy threw in a free RCA 5 disc cd changer. I hooked it up today, and it sounds excellent, but after about two hours of it being on (and being played very loud) it felt incredibly hot. There is a place where I could mount a fan on it. But how do I hook a fan up to the power supply. I am thinking about putting two small pc fans in it, one blowing in, the other blowing out, and putting another low voltage (30W?) power supply on it to plug the fans into. Would this work ok?

Mounting a pc fan on it should work. I cut a hole in the case of my computer's router and mounted a fan on it. Fortunately, it had a 9v power supply I could tap into, which made it easier.

If you're still hot on the active cooling idea, an air conditioner would be better than a refrigerator because the air doesn't go below about 53F, making condensation much less of an issue.

i think there will be a condensation problem

1. Is it safe to put my computer in the fridge?

No, it is not safe to put your computer in the fridge. The cold temperature can cause condensation to form inside the computer, damaging its internal components and potentially causing it to malfunction.

2. Will putting my computer in the fridge make it run faster?

No, putting your computer in the fridge will not make it run faster. In fact, the cold temperature can slow down the computer's processing speed and decrease its overall performance.

3. Can putting my computer in the fridge help cool it down?

No, putting your computer in the fridge will not effectively cool it down. The fridge may provide temporary relief, but it is not designed to cool electronics and can actually cause damage to the computer in the long run.

4. Can I put my laptop in the fridge to save battery life?

No, putting your laptop in the fridge will not save battery life. The cold temperature can actually drain the battery faster and cause damage to the laptop's internal components.

5. Are there any benefits to putting my computer in the fridge?

No, there are no benefits to putting your computer in the fridge. It can cause damage to the computer and does not provide any real benefits in terms of performance or cooling.