1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Should I quit studying physics?

1. Jan 22, 2012 #1
    I started college majoring in electrical engineering. I realized that engineering was boring and lacked beauty, so I decided to change to the elegant study of physics. This is after I had taken AP physics in high school, so I knew it was something I liked a lot. I'm now halfway through my second year, double majoring in physics and math with a 3.96 GPA. I'm slowly finding the science more and more tedious and boring rather than beautiful. Last quarter was dedicated to waves and vibrations and fourier stuff, which I found to be awful. Now I'm being gently introduced to special relativity, which I thought was amazing when I first heard about it two years ago, but now its just alright. In my math class we're learning out of Artin's Algebra, which I sort of like. I originally wanted to be a theoretical physicist, I absolutely despise any lab scenario as well as programming. It's just been a long time since I've seen something that put me in awe the way calculus did the first time I saw it. Does theoretical physics become really cool again, or am I just losing interest? Also, is there anyway that I can do purely theoretical work given how little I know currently? I think maybe actually trying it out could help me decide.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think you're overworked and not spending enough time to see the beauty in things.

William Blake wrote a stanza for it:

Auguries of Innocence
    William Blake
    To see a World in a Grain of Sand
    And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
    And Eternity in an hour.

And from zen:

Before a man studies Zen, a mountain is a mountain
    after he gets insights, a mountain is not a mountain
    When he really understands, a mountain is a mountain"

You may be stuck on the middle line and if you persevere the amazement will come back.

4. Jan 23, 2012 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

err, theoretical physics is going to be hard nowadays without programming.

5. Jan 23, 2012 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Also with a computer you can begin to see the depth and beauty of a system of eqns applied to a problem.

Checkout the open source physics project at compadre.org/osp

6. Jan 23, 2012 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was my thought, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook