Is Starting Smoking Worth the Potential Health Risks?

• Thread starter Surrealist
  • Start date
In summary, due to recent personal matters that have caused me upsetting emotions, I have been feeling so much anxiety lately. Sometimes it is difficult for me to focus on my research. Sometimes I just feel so depressed and/or upset, I find it difficult to get out of bed in the morning. Sometimes when I am trying to type up a report on my computer, I just can't get myself started. I feel so nervous all the time. One of the main reasons people start smoking is to relieve stress. Maybe if I started smoking, I wouldn't feel so nervous anymore. The trade-off is that I would reduce my life expectancy and increase my chances of developing health problems. But, I feel so desperate to end my anxiety
Surrealist
Due to recent personal matters that have caused me upsetting emotions, I have been feeling so much anxiety lately. Sometimes it is difficult for me to focus on my research. Sometimes I just feel so depressed and/or upset, I find it difficult to get out of bed in the morning. Sometimes when I am trying to type up a report on my computer, I just can't get myself started. I feel so nervous all the time.

One of the main reasons people start smoking is to relieve stress. Maybe if I started smoking, I wouldn't feel so nervous anymore. The trade-off is that I would reduce my life expectancy and increase my chances of developing health problems. But, I feel so desperate to end my anxiety.

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the reasons people start smoking is to look cool. Any addiction just causes more stress and anxiety. I can't see how smoking would make it any better.

Have problems in life? I'd talk to a therapist. They work wonders. Much better than getting addicted to something.

You have some odd posts my friend. One on thin girls, another on cheating with a robot, now one on smoking...u need to see someone professional.

Surrealist, don't even ****ing think about it! Nicotine is the second most addictive substance on the planet, next to cocaine. No hazards were known about it when I started. Now I'm dying of emphysema, and still can't quit. (Chill, friends... I intend to prolong that dying for a few decades.) Buy yourself some surf-sound CD's and leave the cancer sticks behind.

cyrusabdollahi said:
You have some odd posts my friend. One on thin girls, another on cheating with a robot, now one on smoking...u need to see someone professional.

Some of my posts are meant to be humorous... humor momentarily kills the depression and anxiety... but thanks for your vote of confidence.

Anyway, I did see a professional therapists... and it was worthless... and eventually I was told that I was cured and I should go away... I'm guessing "being cured" is more influenced by insurance companies than anything else.

Seriously though... has anyone here ever been to a professional therapist. All they do is talk out of their ass and verify the fact that when rich kids grow up and get Ivy League educations, they cannot possibly understand the problems of people who really have problems.

Why can't you get out of bed?

You seem to be suffering from severe stress and depression. You should see a doctor, they might be able to help.

DO NOT START SMOKING! That's only going to make things worse.

Surrealist said:
Due to recent personal matters that have caused me upsetting emotions, I have been feeling so much anxiety lately. Sometimes it is difficult for me to focus on my research. Sometimes I just feel so depressed and/or upset, I find it difficult to get out of bed in the morning. Sometimes when I am trying to type up a report on my computer, I just can't get myself started. I feel so nervous all the time.

One of the main reasons people start smoking is to relieve stress. Maybe if I started smoking, I wouldn't feel so nervous anymore. The trade-off is that I would reduce my life expectancy and increase my chances of developing health problems. But, I feel so desperate to end my anxiety.

Should you start smoking? Only if you want to die, I suppose. Trust me when I say that smoking is one of the most self-destructive and idiotic things that anyone could choose to do. I have a cousin who started smoking a few years ago. He always says he's going to quit, and then doesn't follow through. It's amazing to see how he'll always avoid the issue, say that he'll quit "later," and basically do whatever it takes to get another cigarette in his mouth. Not to mention that he always smells terrible.

I don't actually sanction this, but if you absolutely must use drugs to make yourself feel better, then alcohol and marijuana would be better choices (obviously not together, since that'll kill you). Neither drug has nearly the same long-term deleterious effect as cigarettes, and they are both far easier to quit. I guess what I'm saying is: don't develop chemical dependancies, but if you do...

Surrealist said:
Seriously though... has anyone here ever been to a professional therapist. All they do is talk out of their ass and verify the fact that when rich kids grow up and get Ivy League educations, they cannot possibly understand the problems of people who really have problems.

How did you "find" your therapist? I would suggest (if this isn't what you've already done) going to your doctor and asking for a referral to a therapist-- he will be able to point you in the direction of the "better" therapists. I assure you that not all therapists are the same, however it should be understood that not every therapist works for every person (due to clash of personalities, or techniques that just do not work for you) so I would advise not to give up due to one bad experience.

I've never been to a therapist myself, but someone very close to me has for quite a while, and thus I might be able to say something constructive. Therapy is very difficult, in the sense that one has to open up and tell things to a complete stranger, and is a very time-consuming experience. You cannot expect to go and see someone once a week for a month and be fine, as there is generally no quick solution to depression. The sessions may start by simply having a chat about one's day, but will progress to talking openly about things that one may never have mentioned to anyone, even their closest friends. However, I know that it is very rewarding when one realizes that one no longer needs to go and talk, and that things have gotten better.

The most important thing is to not give up, and to remember that you can start to feel better and get your life back on track. Oh and, definitely, don't start smoking!

Good luck!

Give up caffeine or exercise until you drop but don't start smoking!

cyrusabdollahi said:
Why can't you get out of bed?

Lately, I have been having difficulty getting out of bed in the morning because when I'm asleep I can escape my anxiety. Every morning I have to tell myself that I just need to find the strength to keep functioning... and if I can just do that long enough maybe things will get better.

larkspur said:
Give up caffeine or exercise until you drop but don't start smoking!

Yeah, that's a good idea. I have been trying to drink decaf lately because I've noticed that too much caffeine only intensifies the anxiety. I tried exercising a few months ago... it seemed to help, but I don't always feel like doing it. Actually, I never feel like doing it... but no one ever said life is easy.

I wish I could go to church... but I don't believe in Jesus... just God. Sometimes at night, I pray for things to get better... I don't know if it really helps.

Surrealist said:
I wish I could go to church... but I don't believe in Jesus... just God. Sometimes at night, I pray for things to get better... I don't know if it really helps.

stay away from chuch, unless you want to be brain washed into thinking Jesus will cure your depression!

arunma said:
I don't actually sanction this, but if you absolutely must use drugs to make yourself feel better, then alcohol and marijuana would be better choices (obviously not together, since that'll kill you). Neither drug has nearly the same long-term deleterious effect as cigarettes, and they are both far easier to quit. I guess what I'm saying is: don't develop chemical dependancies, but if you do...

Are you for real? :confused: ALCOHOL is easy to quit??

cyrusabdollahi said:
stay away from chuch, unless you want to be brain washed into thinking Jesus will cure your depression!

So what if one thinks Jesus will cure his depression? As long as it works, it's ok.

I have monumental anxiety constantly due to a particular condition I have but I would never trade thatfor smoking. There are ways to learn to deal with anxiety and its a lot easier thn developing a habit. If anxiety is a problem you can't face on your own then your doctor can offer lots of help in the form of leaflets and then recommendations to councellors.

Kurdt said:
I have monumental anxiety constantly due to a particular condition I have but I would never trade thatfor smoking. There are ways to learn to deal with anxiety and its a lot easier thn developing a habit. If anxiety is a problem you can't face on your own then your doctor can offer lots of help in the form of leaflets and then recommendations to councellors.

I am sorry to hear about your monumental anxiety. My anxiety and depression has been induced by a particular loss that happened in my life about six months ago. I am just trying to come to grips with reality so I can move on.

Fight Club

If anyone happens to have an underground Fight Club going on... let me know... that is exactly the kind of thing that could help me right now.

Surrealist said:
I am sorry to hear about your monumental anxiety. My anxiety and depression has been induced by a particular loss that happened in my life about six months ago. I am just trying to come to grips with reality so I can move on.

Then I would recommend talking to a medical professional they can be very helpful. I know a lot of people think there is a stigma attached to that kind of thing but that really shouldn't apply. Seriously consider that first.

Hi Surrealist. If you were to start smoking in my opinion you would just be adding more stress to your life. Being addicted to nicotine in itself can be depressing...

Although I don't know very much about depression or anything, asking for a referal to a good therapist from your doctor as cristo suggested sounds like a good idea. If you don't feel too geeky you can even read reviews on the internet for therapists/doctors/dentists. I actually had no idea such websites existed until I google'd my dentist's name and came upon one. So that may help you find a good therapist as well. Here is one to start you off:

http://ratemds.com/

Anyways, best of luck to you Surrealist. There is no shame in seeing a therapist, I hope you find a good one.

Last edited:
A multi-day hiking camping vacation is a great way to recharge your personal energy and start a new chapter in life.

Ciggarettes are no good, they just taste like death to me. Alcohol is good if you are not a habit forming person (be warned, alcoholic = 1 drink per month, so quit clean when your done).

radou said:
Are you for real? :confused: ALCOHOL is easy to quit??

Sorry, I should clarify my earlier statement. I absolutely do not mean to say that alcohol is easy to quit. In fact I'm well aware of its addictive properties in some individuals. What I am saying is that on a relative scale, alcohol is easier to quit than cigarettes. Millions of people regularly drink alcohol and are not addicted to it. But can anyone here name even one single regular smoker who is not addicted to cigarettes? Alcohol isn't specially designed by liquor companies to get you addicted. Cigarette companies, on the other hand, pour millions of dollars of research into designing highly addictive products. In that sense, cigarettes are far worse.

I want to be clear in saying that I DO NOT suggest he gets addicted to alcohol. At the same time, I am thinking realistically, and I know that he might have his heart set on curing his problems with mind-altering chemicals. If he absolutely must do this, I think most of us can agree that alcohol is a better choice than cigarettes.

cyrusabdollahi said:

Actually, whatever your religious beliefs may be, religion has the ability to abate depression. Religion puts the faithful in a community with like-minded individuals, and gives them a social support system. This can be especially helpful for depressed people. Of course, not all religions are equal in this regard. Hinduism, Buddhism, and various other "lone ranger" religions don't always require contact with others. If you're going to choose a religion for the sole purpose of curing depression, it might be a good idea to choose one that has a decently-sized community nearby.

radou said:
So what if one thinks Jesus will cure his depression? As long as it works, it's ok.

No, its not ok. Just as taking up smoking is not ok. Its dangerous poison for his mind. Hes depressed. If he feels better, he's going to think it was because Jesus made him better, and that's exactly what those nuts at church want him to think. Reason goes out the window with these people.

Surrealist said:
If you want to go to church find a non-christian one if that is more inline with what you believe.

Everyone goes through bad times. If you do not think you are strong enough to deal with it, get help. End of discussion.

Surrealist said:
If anyone happens to have an underground Fight Club going on... let me know... that is exactly the kind of thing that could help me right now.

Then take up boxing and beat some guys brains out, or vise versa.

Crosson said:
(be warned, alcoholic = 1 drink per month, so quit clean when your done).

What? 1 drink, I don't think so. I drink more than 1 drink a month and I never get drunk. Who came up with that rule?

There have been several similar posts here over the past few years. My advice is always the same.

I was severely depressed during college. A combination of bad luck, bad advice, Scottish blood, and mono, put me in spiral that caused me to sleep through my 2:00 PM classes. No joke.

I had to see a professional MD psychiatrist for a year, I took antidepressants for a year, and now I am handling things fine. The most important thing that I must do is stay active. I think you realize this at some point (re: your mention of a "fight club") my choice is running. Back then I also started rock climbing, but it's running that has kept me going for the 20 years since then.

Don't smoke, it slows you down.

Concerning alcohol... I had a bloody mary the other night to help take the edge off the evening. I don't want to drink too much though. I've known a few alcoholics in my lifetime. The thought of ending up like them scares the **** out of me.

Evo said:
If you want to go to church find a non-christian one if that is more inline with what you believe.

Is there a Western religion that addresses the issue of God without getting developing a dependency on Jesus?

I tried the Buddhist thing when I was young... I just didn't feel a connection with it. It's from an Eastern culture. It has nothing to do with me.

I remember when I was very young, I went to the Catholic church. It seemed comforting as a child, but again, there is no sense in participating in Christianity if I don't want to be a Christian.

What would be really cool is a community in which to discuss philosophical and psychological issues as they pertain to everyday life without having to resort to a dependency on religious dogma. Maybe such a group would be called something like a philosophy club.

... or maybe a metaphysically challenged support group...

If I had to choose a religion, it would probably be the Ainu

Otter

Why it is responsible for man's imperfect nature, and why you should be careful about eating its head

"The otter's head must not lightly be used as an article of food, for unless people are very careful they will, if they eat it, become as forgetful as that creature. And hence it happens that when an otter has been killed the people do not usually eat the head.

"But if they are seized with a very strong desire for a feast of otter's head, they may partake thereof, providing proper precautions are taken. When eating it the people must take their swords, knives, axes, bows and arrows, tobacco boxes and pipes, trays, cups, garden tools, and everything they possess, tie them up in bundles with carrying slings, and sit with them attached to their heads while in the act of eating ... If this method be carefully adhered to, there will be no danger of forgetting where a thing has been placed, otherwise loss of memory will be the result."

This is one you should look into, it will at least take your mind off of your problems.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/hokkaido/legends.html

Have you seen the moonwalking manakin bird?

Surrealist, you are prompting me to dump some **** that I don't usually publicize. I only hope that my public embarrassment can be of help to you. It's not really that much of a sacrifice, since the people here who know my true identity are friends that I would trust with my life.
For one thing, any idiot who wants to hang out a shingle can be a 'psychotherapist'; there's no regulation. Stay away from any new-age gurus or herbalists or aromatherapists or any of that bull****. Find a good psychiatrist (who, by definition, has to have an MD). If you absolutely have to, settle for a certified clinical psychologist. (But remember that Dr. Phil is one of those, and he's a total typical Texas bully-boy
****ing fruitcake.)
Church-wise, I would recommend Unitarian-Universalist. My old man was an agnostic, and also a preacher for that denomination. Other than an occassional prayer or hymn, they're pretty much just a community group like any social club. I'm a semi-militant atheist myself, but there is at least one member here that I admire intensely, who is a Unitarian. Perhaps s/he will approach you about it. It's the least religious religion on the planet. (My dad got religious education kicked out of the Ontario school system. :approve:)
By the definition of 'alcoholic' that I saw listed, I'm so far off of the chart that I should be in a lab somewhere. I have anywhere from 4 to 14 beers every day. Average is probably about 6. This being a weekend, and Saturday being 'take a beer to work' day, I had 3 for breakfast, 6 for my extended lunch, and am on the 4th or 5th since getting home. It's only a quarter to 9, so I'll have at least 4 more before hitting the sheets.
I am, incidentally, on Wellbutrin and Cilaxis, one each per day. They don't do much to curtail the drinking (in fact, they seem to increase it), but I was down to as few as 3 cigarettes a day for a while, and am now back up to about 2/3 pack. That's still better than the 2 packs that I was on before. Mainly, however, I for very good reason refer to them as my 'I don't want to kill anybody today' pills. If you're okay to start with, they can destroy your mind. Mine was destroyed to start with, and these suckers made life worth living again.

Last edited:
Smoking is like like investing in a suicidal savings account.

Good one, Ki. I haven't heard that before, but it's too true.

If you want to make the biggest mistake you've ever made, then go ahead and start smoking. Think about how much fun it will be spending the rest of your life trying to quit.