Is Starting Smoking Worth the Potential Health Risks?

• Thread starter Surrealist
  • Start date
In summary, due to recent personal matters that have caused me upsetting emotions, I have been feeling so much anxiety lately. Sometimes it is difficult for me to focus on my research. Sometimes I just feel so depressed and/or upset, I find it difficult to get out of bed in the morning. Sometimes when I am trying to type up a report on my computer, I just can't get myself started. I feel so nervous all the time. One of the main reasons people start smoking is to relieve stress. Maybe if I started smoking, I wouldn't feel so nervous anymore. The trade-off is that I would reduce my life expectancy and increase my chances of developing health problems. But, I feel so desperate to end my anxiety
Danger said:
Thank you for that, Circles. You nailed it. I don't need sympathy, I don't want it, and I certainly don't deserve it. I was merely pointing out the sort of traps that are out there when one starts messing about with nasty substances.
Jason, despite whatever admiration you hold for your relatives, you obviously have no concept of what addiction is. I can easily quit both drinking and smoking cold turkey. The point is, I don't want to. That is the serious side of being addicted; I enjoy both so much that I'm willing to face the physical and financial hardships attendant thereto.
My habits have no detrimental effect upon my work or home life, and I hope none toward my admittedly meager contributions to the Physics and Engineering forums. Should they start to do so, I'll change.

I know you don't want to. That's a reason for being harsh.

I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is.

Note: I never thought you were looking for sympathy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I find it quite ironic that you want to strat smoking to get rid of stress, but are already stressed out about it!

SpaceTiger said:
If you have to ask, then Darwin would say yes.
:rofl:

marlon said:
:wink:

I understand why you would say that. However i just want to make sure the OP gets to know "all opinions out there". Not everybody is against smoking. Some of us, like me, really reaaaallllyyy like it.
I think you L0VE it, 'like' couldn't be a good word here to express your feelings towards smoking!:smile:
Good advice, BTW!

Regards

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
Marlon should be French if he's not already. The two sports the have are cycling and extreme smoking.

:rofl:

Extra text

I am a very mellow person by nature, but when I do get upset or anxious a good smoke does help a lot.
I don’t know if it is the cig or just having something to take my mind off things but it does help.

As for the health risks, yah I know it is bad for me but what the hell.
I have been smoking for about 20 years and I seem to be still able to do everything I always did.
But remember different people react differently, however my lungs are unusually large (That is just a thing in my family though)

SpaceTiger said:
I respect a person's right to choose to smoke, but this is awfully deceptive.
NOT your decision to make. Remember that you are not the moral judge of PF.

I suggest talking to some older smokers who have been through the many trials and tribulations of smoking. They might have some more valuable insights.
I think that is quite stupid advice. The age of the smoker should not be the primary factor here but the length of period he/she has been smoking. I would value the advice more of a guy in his 40ties who has been smoking for 25 years instead of some 60year old that just started to smoke 10 years ago.

marlon

Yah I got this bad habit after an exam of having a couple cigerattes and drinks, and I don't smoke!:rofl:

SpaceTiger said:
Note that, regardless of the demographics of smokers, smoking will not make someone more creative.
Did anyone ever say that ?
Also keep in mind that, despite marlon's penchant for stereotype,
Awww that's so sad man. Really, if you ain't got nothing to say, just don't speak. Get a smoke and relax !

You'll find that many smokers are insecure about this fact and will try to rationalize it by telling themselves that they're cooler, more open-minded, or less judgemental.
I AM VERY JUDGEMENTAL ! What you say here is rubbish. Besides, how on Earth do you know this ? If you have never been a smoker you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I AM a smoker and I HAVE been a non-smoker. So, i know both sides. Now, my dear moral knight, do YOU ?

marlon

marlon said:
I would value the advice more of a guy in his 40ties who has been smoking for 25 years instead of some 60year old that just started to smoke 10 years ago.

marlon

LOL. Yeah how many people do you know who started smoking at age 50? :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
marlon said:
NOT your decision to make. Remember that you are not the moral judge of PF.

This is not a moral issue and there are no moral judgements being made. I said that your statements about the consequences of smoking were deceptive. That means that I'm challenging your facts, not your ethics.

I think that is quite stupid advice. The age of the smoker should not be the primary factor here but the length of period he/she has been smoking. I would value the advice more of a guy in his 40ties who has been smoking for 25 years instead of some 60year old that just started to smoke 10 years ago.

The health problems caused by smoking are much more likely to develop in old age, but you're right that it wouldn't make sense to ask a 60-year-old who just started smoking. I figured it was obvious enough in what i wrote that the person they ask should be a veteran smoker, not just an old person, but if that's all you've got to work with...

marlon said:
Awww that's so sad man. Really, if you ain't got nothing to say, just don't speak. Get a smoke and relax !I AM VERY JUDGEMENTAL ! What you say here is rubbish. Besides, how on Earth do you know this ? If you have never been a smoker you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

You don't have to jump off a cliff to know that it's a bad idea. If you think that you do, however, I think Darwin would say that you should.

By the way, for someone who claims to be so chill, you're awfully worked up. I have no moral problem with smoking, but is it possible that you do?

Egads! I've just seen this thread and CANNOT believe people are recommending ANYONE should START smoking! It's simple...don't start. If you never start, you never have to deal with trying to quit or all the other horrid health effects of smoking. It's just plain STUPID to ever start smoking. Once someone has made that mistake, it's incredibly hard to stop...just look at all the rationalizing the smokers are making to excuse their habit here. If you want to do something terribly stupid and start yourself on a bad habit that's hard to stop and has about a 50/50 odds of killing you with a disease that will include a lot of suffering for you and your loved ones, you certainly are free to do so, but I can't believe anyone would in good conscience encourage such a thing, or that this thread has gone on so long allowing such encouragement. I'm not going to let a thread continue that encourages self-destructive behavior.