Should I stay in Australia or go to USA for my studies?

In summary, the conversation discusses the cost and ranking of two universities, the University of Melbourne in Australia and the University of California Santa Barbara in the US. The cost of studying in Australia is significantly lower than the cost of studying in the US, which may make it a more financially feasible option. However, if the individual or their family can afford the higher cost, it is suggested to stay at the University of Melbourne and invest the difference wisely. It is also mentioned that studying in the US for graduate school may be a more cost-effective option.
Ash L
I am currently studying undergrad at the University of Melbourne in Australia majoring in Physics but I have also been accepted into the freshman class at the University of California Santa Barbara majoring in Physics also. The cost of studying in Australia is about AU$4160 which is about USD$3733 per year. The cost of an international student at UC Santa Barbara including on campus housing is USD$ 53,000 per year.

Which school would be better for me in "your" opinion? Because I don't know how good are both these schools ranked internationally as I am not a US citizen so I can't work in the US in the future.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that the cost you state for studying in Australia includes housing (or perhaps you'll live with your parents), the difference in cost is about USD$49,000 per year, or $196,000 for four years.

If you or your parents have enough money on hand to pay that sum without going into debt, then I would suggest staying at U of Melbourne and investing that amount wisely. Then when you are ready to retire, you will have a very nice nest-egg regardless of what kind of jobs you are able to get with a degree from Melbourne! :biggrin:

If you have to go into debt to finance that sum, then I'd say forget it. The kind of jobs you get with a physics degree don't pay enough to make re-paying that amount of loans a manageable burden IMO.

Melbourne is an excellent uni. Stay there and save the cash.

If you want to study in the states do it for graduate school. if you're a good candidate it will cost you next to nothing (you'll get paid next to nothing as well)

I cannot make a personal recommendation for which school would be better for you to attend. However, I can provide you with some factors to consider in making your decision.

First, it is important to research the ranking and reputation of both universities in the field of Physics. This will give you an idea of the quality of education and opportunities available at each institution.

Second, consider the curriculum and research opportunities offered at each university. Look into the faculty and their areas of expertise, as well as any research projects or facilities that may be available to students.

Third, think about your career goals and how each university may help you achieve them. Will attending one university give you a better chance at achieving your desired career path?

Additionally, consider the cost of living and potential job opportunities in both Australia and the US. Keep in mind that as an international student, you may face visa restrictions and challenges in finding employment in the US after graduation.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your individual needs and priorities. I recommend speaking with current students or alumni from both universities, as well as seeking advice from academic advisors or career counselors. Good luck with your decision!

1. Should I choose Australia or USA for my studies?

The answer to this question ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. Both countries have excellent universities and education systems. Consider factors such as the program and courses offered, cost of living, cultural experience, and career opportunities in each country.

2. Will studying in Australia or USA affect my future job prospects?

Both Australia and USA have highly regarded education systems and universities, so graduating from either country can positively impact your job prospects. However, it's important to research and understand the job market and industry trends in your field of study in each country.

3. Is it easier to get a student visa for Australia or USA?

The process and requirements for obtaining a student visa may vary between Australia and USA. Generally, the USA has stricter requirements and a longer processing time for student visas. However, as an international student, it's important to carefully follow the guidelines and requirements for obtaining a student visa in either country.

4. How much does it cost to study in Australia or USA?

The cost of studying in Australia or USA will vary depending on the university and program you choose, as well as your living expenses. Generally, studying in the USA tends to be more expensive than in Australia. However, both countries offer scholarships and financial aid options for international students.

5. What is the student life like in Australia and USA?

The student life experience will vary for each individual, but both Australia and USA have a diverse and vibrant student community. In Australia, you may have the opportunity to explore beautiful beaches and outdoor activities, while in the USA you may have access to big cities and cultural events. It's important to research and consider the location and lifestyle that best suits your interests and needs.