1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I stay in engineering ?

1. Jan 21, 2015 #1
    Hi to all, I just got my bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering finishing first in my class. I also got my Engineer certificate in my country via thesis dissertation.

My problem is I think I don’t have the necessary to be an engineer. In college, I did very good and had no problem getting excellent grades on "theoretical" courses(Calculus, Physics, Circuit Design, Control Theory, etc), but when I had to work in laboratory and was asked to build certain projects I always sucked. I recognize that I had no interest in these kind of tasks and prefered to study “theory” instead of building a Power Supply or program a microcontroller but even when I tried to my results were really poor. It was frustrating for me, I had no problem understanding “difficult”concepts but when it came to a real world applications I was useless in my groups project. My lack of lab/technical/practical skills(and maybe passion) makes me think that I made a mistake by choosing an engineering carreer.

My question is should I stay in Engineering and look for an area where I could fit and be useful? In which areas you recommend me to try? (I liked areas such as DSP, RF communication and integrated circuits but I think I liked them more for their Physics and Math content than for their actual applications)

Or maybe should I switch to a “pure ”science career like Physics or Mathematics taking into account that I am 25 years old?

I’d appreciate your opinions.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2015 #2
    You might try grad school in engineering. It tends to emphasize the theory more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook