• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Should I stay in engineering ?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter ThiagoMartins
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi to all, I just got my bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering finishing first in my class. I also got my Engineer certificate in my country via thesis dissertation.

My problem is I think I don’t have the necessary to be an engineer. In college, I did very good and had no problem getting excellent grades on "theoretical" courses(Calculus, Physics, Circuit Design, Control Theory, etc), but when I had to work in laboratory and was asked to build certain projects I always sucked. I recognize that I had no interest in these kind of tasks and prefered to study “theory” instead of building a Power Supply or program a microcontroller but even when I tried to my results were really poor. It was frustrating for me, I had no problem understanding “difficult”concepts but when it came to a real world applications I was useless in my groups project. My lack of lab/technical/practical skills(and maybe passion) makes me think that I made a mistake by choosing an engineering carreer.

My question is should I stay in Engineering and look for an area where I could fit and be useful? In which areas you recommend me to try? (I liked areas such as DSP, RF communication and integrated circuits but I think I liked them more for their Physics and Math content than for their actual applications)

Or maybe should I switch to a “pure ”science career like Physics or Mathematics taking into account that I am 25 years old?

I’d appreciate your opinions.

Answers and Replies

You might try grad school in engineering. It tends to emphasize the theory more.