Dealing with Uncomfortable Work Environments: Should I Stay or Should I Go?

• Thread starter scorpa
  • Start date
In summary, the author is unhappy with their job and wants to find something else. They are stuck because there is only a month and a half left until school starts again. Their dilemma is whether or not to stick it out and risk getting fired, or find something else before the deadline.
scorpa
Ok guys here is the deal. The job I have been working at for almost 2 months now is really starting to get to me. I ended up getting a job where I am literally the only one who is not a stoner. All everyone at work talks about is how stoned they get, or how drunk they are going to get this weekend and so on and so forth. Sometimes they even smoke joints during breaks and whatnot! One of them actually tried to sell me weed the other day. Either way as as I am not into this kind of stuff at all, it is rather uncomfortable for me working there at times. I am not saying the people there aren't nice because they are ...we just have different priorities. Most haven't even bothered graduating from high school and some act like I have it so easy going to univeristy (how hard could it be right? :mad: ) I really want to go find a job somewhere else but my dilemma is that there is only about a month and a half left until school starts again in september. Do you think I should just stick it out until then or find something else? I really don't know what to do at this point so I thought maybe I would see what you guys thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're just doing the job until school starts again, I'd say just stick it out another month and a half. It'd probably take a couple weeks to find something new anyway. A month isn't really that long. Does your boss know what's going on? It's one thing for them to be doing this on their own time, but if they're smoking pot, and trying to sell it, on the job site, then your boss really should put a stop to it.

In the meantime, just focus on your work and try not to think too much about what they do or don't do. It'll be over before you know it, and you'll know not to apply there again next year.

scorpa said:
Ok guys here is the deal. The job I have been working at for almost 2 months now is really starting to get to me. I ended up getting a job where I am literally the only one who is not a stoner. All everyone at work talks about is how stoned they get, or how drunk they are going to get this weekend and so on and so forth. Sometimes they even smoke joints during breaks and whatnot! One of them actually tried to sell me weed the other day. Either way as as I am not into this kind of stuff at all, it is rather uncomfortable for me working there at times. I am not saying the people there aren't nice because they are ...we just have different priorities. Most haven't even bothered graduating from high school and some act like I have it so easy going to univeristy (how hard could it be right? :mad: ) I really want to go find a job somewhere else but my dilemma is that there is only about a month and a half left until school starts again in september. Do you think I should just stick it out until then or find something else? I really don't know what to do at this point so I thought maybe I would see what you guys thought.

lol just stick it out.. better to be in a laid back job with down to Earth people than a bunch of strict nazis buddy.

Stick to it, just keep in mind that co-workers are not your friends, just people that you work with. Could be much worse.

Yeah that's what I figured. I could probably have another job in a matter of a day or two but it's probably not worth the trouble, and might not even be any better. I just dread going in there everyday, I guess when it's over I can laugh about it or something. I just hate the boring, repetativeness of the job, not to much thinking involved in it.

You can only be bored if you allow yourself to be. I literally can't understand the concept of boredom, since it's never happened to me. You can always be thinking about interesting stuff even if you're doing uninteresting stuff. If I got stuck with a stupid cowboy sitting at my bar on a slow night, I'd whip out the Scientific American or a cryptic crossword puzzle and ignore him (socially, that is; he still got proper customer treatment). Stick with it for now. If you want to make a couple of extra bucks, call Crimestoppers when you know that your co-workers are going to make a deal. :devil:

1. Should I stay or should I go?

This is a common question that people ask themselves when facing a difficult decision. In the context of relationships, it can refer to whether or not to stay in a current relationship or end it. Ultimately, the answer depends on individual circumstances and the importance of the relationship to the person.

2. What are the signs that I should stay in a relationship?

Some signs that a person may want to stay in a relationship include feelings of love, trust, and mutual support. If the relationship makes you happy and brings out the best in you, it may be worth staying in. Communication and commitment are also important factors to consider.

3. What are the signs that I should leave a relationship?

Signs that a person may want to leave a relationship include feelings of unhappiness, lack of trust, and constant arguments or conflicts. If the relationship is causing more pain and stress than joy and fulfillment, it may be time to consider leaving.

4. How do I know if I am making the right decision?

Making a decision about whether to stay or go can be difficult. It's important to consider your own well-being and happiness, as well as the impact of your decision on the other person. Seeking advice from trusted friends or family members, or even seeking professional counseling, can also help you make a more informed decision.

5. Can a relationship be saved or is it better to end it?

Every relationship is different and there is no one answer to this question. Some relationships can be saved with effort and communication, while others may be better off ending. It's important to assess the level of commitment and willingness to work on the relationship from both parties before deciding whether to try to save it or move on.