Should I stick with chemistry?

• Thread starter bael
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary: I have been reading a lot of articles saying that chemistry is a dead end career and that it will be very hard to find a job with a chemistry degree. I also read an article about a guy who said that he has a degree in chemistry and he can't find a job. So, do you think that I should switch my major to something else?
bael
I've been reading a lot over the internet that chemistry is a dead end career, and that it will be very hard to find a job with a chemistry degree. My dad on the other hand says that I should be able to find a great job as a chemist because there is a need for scientists in the US (He is an electrical engineer so I generally believe him when it comes to these things). PF, I would like to hear your opinions on this matter. I like chemistry and I am doing good in all my chem classes but I see no point in getting a BSc in a field that won't even have jobs. So, what do you think? Will I be able to make a living as a chemist? Should I switch majors?

Physics news on Phys.org
what would you want to switch to?

also, what are your thoughts on grad school? a masters in chemistry would be pretty baller as far as career prospects go. . . other than that what do you like in chemistry? organic? materials?

my ochem professor always told us that people with a phd in organic will make more money than a doctor...

My opinion is based on my own experiences and observations, so take it as-is.

Chemistry is a very difficult field right now. Many jobs followed manufacturing as it shifted overseas. It used to be fairly easy to pick up a standard lab job that paid well without much effort; now they are rare, and the pay can be pretty low (last job I saw advertised in my area was a night shift position offering $17/hour).

I think your dad is remembering the "good-old days". The job market is different now.

I'm in the south-of-Seattle area, btw.

The good news is, there seems to be plenty of jobs in biochemistry. Might you consider shifting your studies toward that field?

Moreover, have you considered Chemical Engineering?

Highway said:
what would you want to switch to?

I honestly have no idea what else I would do. Maybe something along the lines of computer programming.
Highway said:
also, what are your thoughts on grad school? a masters in chemistry would be pretty baller as far as career prospects go. . . other than that what do you like in chemistry? organic? materials?

I was actually considering o-chem but I haven't taken the class yet so I really can't say for sure. This is my first year as a chem major so I haven't been exposed to all the different fields of chemistry yet.

lisab said:
I think your dad is remembering the "good-old days". The job market is different now.
Ha, probably. He is old-fashioned like that.

lisab said:
The good news is, there seems to be plenty of jobs in biochemistry. Might you consider shifting your studies toward that field?

That seems strange to me that the chemistry field is so bad yet the biochemistry field is doing well. I always thought that a chemist and a biochemist did nearly the same thing.

i def wouldn't switch to biochem, if anything, chemical engineering would be the most practical. but honestly, it's ****ing difficult.

what are your thoughts on physics and calc so far? because che is a lot of both.

Highway said:
i def wouldn't switch to biochem, if anything, chemical engineering would be the most practical. but honestly, it's ****ing difficult.

what are your thoughts on physics and calc so far? because che is a lot of both.

I know chemical engineering is very difficult, that's why I would never do it lol. I looked at my school's curriculum for chem engineering and it was pretty ridiculous. Another reason why I wouldn't do it is because you don't learn as much chemistry, it's more engineering courses.

If you are worried about job outlook, you should check out:
http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes192031.htm

If you haven't taken Organic yet, then you really haven't done "chemistry". What makes you think that you would like it in the first place?

Last edited by a moderator:
bael said:
I've been reading a lot over the internet that chemistry is a dead end career, and that it will be very hard to find a job with a chemistry degree. My dad on the other hand says that I should be able to find a great job as a chemist because there is a need for scientists in the US (He is an electrical engineer so I generally believe him when it comes to these things). PF, I would like to hear your opinions on this matter. I like chemistry and I am doing good in all my chem classes but I see no point in getting a BSc in a field that won't even have jobs. So, what do you think? Will I be able to make a living as a chemist? Should I switch majors?

I have been reading over the internet that Earth is flat... well now seriously. Virtually all of the modern world is related to chemistry. Take a look to what chemists are doing today

http://portal.acs.org/portal/PublicWebSite/careers/whatchemistsdo/careers/index.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the job opportunities for chemistry majors?

Chemistry majors can pursue a wide range of careers in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, environmental science, and forensics. They can also work in research and development, quality control, and teaching positions.

2. Is chemistry a difficult major?

As with any major, chemistry can be challenging. It requires a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. However, with dedication and hard work, students can succeed in this field.

3. How much can I expect to earn with a degree in chemistry?

The salary for chemistry majors varies depending on the specific job and industry, but overall, it is a well-paying field. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for chemists is $76,890 as of 2020.

4. What skills do I need to be successful in chemistry?

In addition to a strong foundation in math and science, successful chemists also possess analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills. They must be detail-oriented and have the ability to work independently and in a team.

5. Are there any downsides to pursuing a career in chemistry?

As with any career, there may be some downsides to pursuing chemistry. Some people may find the coursework challenging, and the job market may be competitive. Additionally, some positions may require long hours and involve working with hazardous materials. However, for those passionate about the field, the rewards can outweigh any potential challenges.