1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Should I study abroad?

Tags:
  1. Sep 14, 2016 #1
    I'm a freshman at UT Arlington (Physics Major) and I'm wondering if I go abroad for a year or not. A guy told me that if I want to go my sophomore year, I should apply this year. However, the downside that I can possible think of is the connection that I'd make with the professors, here at UTA.

If I go abroad, while I may get facilities at another university, I may not be able to get substantial long term research experience. So, am I thinking correctly? Should I go for study abroad?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Why not? All the topics studied at UTA are also studied somewhere else. Usually changing the location once in a while is good for research experience.

4. Sep 15, 2016 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why do you want to go abroad? You're an international student. You're already abroad.

5. Sep 16, 2016 #4
    I'd take the path that optimizes one's laboratory and research opportunities.

6. Sep 16, 2016 #5
    The others that have posted in this thread know far more about things than I do, but I'm going to disagree. College is not only about preparation for graduate school, but personal development as well. If you can join a research group abroad, I see no reason not to. I certainly regret not studying abroad in undergrad, but that's just me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted