Study Ahead for AP Physics B: Is Relativity Too Advanced?

• Thread starter undrcvrbro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the conversation discusses a high school senior's boredom with their current AP physics course and their interest in self-studying more advanced topics like Einstein's theory of relativity. The advice given is to pursue one's interests and not neglect required studies, and to discuss with the teacher for additional resources. It is also mentioned that the relativity chapter in the high school physics book should not be too advanced for someone in a calculus class.
undrcvrbro
I'm a high school senior in AP physics B, and quite frankly I'm bored to death with what were learning right now. I've gotten a little case of senioritis, and I feel less and less like trying to be interested. So with that said, would it be advisable to just read further on into my book and try learning about more modern(and possibly interesting) theories that my teacher won't be covering this year? I've really always wondered what Einstein's theory of Relativity was all about, and there is a whole chapter in my book covering it. The reason I ask is because I just don't want to get in over my head. Keep in mind that I've already practically finished all of AP Physics B and a normal physics 1 course at my high school (pre-req).

So would theories like relativity be too advanced for me to try and self study?

Physics news on Phys.org
I read your thread title as "should I study abroad" and so was quite puzzled on reading it!

Anyway, it depends totally on the maths knowledge you have. Special relativity only has high school algebra as a prerequisite (for the most part) and so should be accessible to you. General relativity, on the other hand, require far more complex mathematics.

I was in a similar situation when I was in your place in in high school. I was bored and started reading the relativity chapter for fun. Two weeks later, I called the university I was going to attend next year and asked to change my future major from chemistry to physics! By all means man, go for it. Just remember not to neglect your required studies TOO much.:wink:

cristo said:
I read your thread title as "should I study abroad" and so was quite puzzled on reading it!

Anyway, it depends totally on the maths knowledge you have. Special relativity only has high school algebra as a prerequisite (for the most part) and so should be accessible to you. General relativity, on the other hand, require far more complex mathematics.

:rofl: I'm sure that made my post somewhat harder to comprehend! I'm in calc now(basic derivatives and integrals) so I guess I will give it a shot and see where I stand on some of the more advanced topics.
G01 said:
I was in a similar situation when I was in your place in in high school. I was bored and started reading the relativity chapter for fun. Two weeks later, I called the university I was going to attend next year and asked to change my future major from chemistry to physics! By all means man, go for it. Just remember not to neglect your required studies TOO much.:wink:
Of course I would never neglect my required studies:tongue2:. I think you were in a more similar situation then you first thought. I too will be majoring in a chemistry based field(chemE)! If this stuff moves me enough, I may find myself thinking about switching majors. I'm really clueless as to what I really want to do with my life:uhh:

undrcvrbro said:
:rofl: I'm sure that made my post somewhat harder to comprehend! I'm in calc now(basic derivatives and integrals) so I guess I will give it a shot and see where I stand on some of the more advanced topics.
Cool, well good luck. Try checking out the science book review forum if you need any book recommendations.

I'm really clueless as to what I really want to do with my life:uhh:
You know, I don't think this is that uncommon, especially not just after high school. I'm a PhD student, and I don't really know what I want to do with my life! I've not regretted any of my decisions in the past and have enjoyed everything I've done, but then I don't know what I'm going to do after my PhD. I wouldn't worry about it too much; just try and find out what subject interests you more!

You should absolutely read anything and everything that interests you. In fact, your enthusiasm and interest will be your greatest allies in your future studies. Just make sure you don't spend all your time learning material that won't be on your tests!

You might also want to mention to your teacher that you are reading ahead and enjoying the material. He/she might be able to provide some additional resources for you.

- Warren

Thank you everyone for your advice. You guys are completely right. I have to find what interests me the most. I just hope that I find it sooner than later.

undrcvrbro said:
Thank you everyone for your advice. You guys are completely right. I have to find what interests me the most. I just hope that I find it sooner than later.

You'll find it. Just keep learning and you'll eventually find what your field is. Good luck to you!

There shouldn't be anything in that book that is over your head if you are in a calc class (assuming this is just a standard HS Physics book with little to no calculus at all)

The relativity chapter(s) are probably only Special Relativity which you have all the math you need for. They may touch on concepts of GR but no math as that would be well out of place for your book.

You should be fine as long as you keep up with the required homework. I'd recommend solving a lot of the problems, as many of them a you can, that will help out a lot later on should you pursue physics.

1. What is the purpose of studying ahead for AP Physics B?

Studying ahead for AP Physics B allows you to gain a deeper understanding of the subject and be better prepared for the course. It also gives you the opportunity to review and reinforce concepts that may be challenging.

2. Is relativity too advanced for AP Physics B?

Relativity is a fundamental concept in physics and is included in the AP Physics B curriculum. While it may seem daunting at first, with proper preparation and understanding, it is definitely manageable and important to learn for the exam.

3. How can I prepare for the advanced topics in AP Physics B?

Aside from studying ahead, you can also review and practice with past AP Physics B exams, seek help from your teacher or peers, and utilize online resources such as study guides and videos.

4. Will studying ahead give me an advantage in the course?

Studying ahead can give you a head start and make the course material less overwhelming. It can also help you build a strong foundation for more advanced topics, potentially giving you an advantage in understanding and performing well in the course.

5. How do I know if I'm ready to study ahead for AP Physics B?

If you have a strong grasp of the basic concepts in physics and are motivated to learn more, then you are likely ready to study ahead for AP Physics B. It's important to also make sure you have enough time and resources to commit to studying ahead.