Should I switch to Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses a third/coming fourth year physics major's concerns about their job prospects and interest in the field. They consider switching to engineering and ask for advice from others who have made the switch. The conversation also touches on the possibility of having two undergraduate degrees and the potential for a physics degree to open doors in both engineering and physics/science jobs. Ultimately, the suggestion is made to switch to engineering now and not pursue a second degree.
latitude
Hey all,

I'm a third/coming fourth year physics major and I'm starting to get a little apprehensive. Graduation is looming and I don't know if this degree is going to do very much for me. I'm afraid that when I graduate I will have no prospects for a job or career or no acceptances to grad school. I'm even at a loss for which area I would want to specialize in-- I'm fairly pragmatic and not very passionate, so I do want something that makes me $$-- but medical physics, which my parents are pushing me towards, has absolutely no draw whatsoever for me.

I'm wondering if I should switch to engineering, and wondering if any have you have made this switch and how difficult it was. Or would it be worth it to finish my undergrad degree and then attempt an engineering degree? (It seems like there would be some reiteration course-wise that might be economically better to avoid in this route.)

In terms of interest, I am finding it difficult to pinpoint a path that balances what I am skilled in and what I enjoy-- software engineering is very attractive to me, as is computer science, but sadly I have found I have low to no aptitude coding-wise. Possible to overcome?

For reference, my GPA is a 3.7 at the moment-- about as average as you can get-- hoping to get it up next year.

tl;dr Wondering how hard a mid-degree switch from physics to engineering (speciality uncertain) would be and whether it would be worth it.

Physics news on Phys.org
If your heart is not in physics, and you can switch to engineering in college, go ahead and do it. It might delay your degree by a year or two, but at least you won't fret about the year left and mess up your remaining classes worrying about jobs etc.

On the other hand, I personally do not see much point in having two undergraduate degrees. If you are sure you cannot get an engineering job that you like with your physics major, then perhaps you could push it. Beyond that, I don't see why you would want to spend 4 more years, after you start college afresh...

A Physics degree -- provided you can sell it well yourself -- can open roads to engineering as well as physics/science jobs. Certainly if grad school is what you want to do, you can switch to engineering.

Yes, if you want to do physics, you will need more than just an undergrad degree in physics (as opposed to possibly doing some engineering with just an undergrad degree in engineering). You will need a PhD for research, whether its physics or engineering.

i'd switch to engineering now and not get two degrees. tons of your math and science classes will work toward your engineering degree plus you can use some of your other science classes as tech electives mos likely

1. Should I switch to Engineering if I am currently in a different field?

It depends on your interests and career goals. If you have a strong passion for engineering and are willing to put in the time and effort to learn the necessary skills, then switching to engineering may be a good choice. However, if you are happy and successful in your current field, it may not be necessary to switch.

2. What are the job prospects for engineers?

The job prospects for engineers vary depending on the specific field of engineering, but overall, the demand for engineers is expected to grow in the coming years. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of engineers is projected to grow 4% from 2019 to 2029, which is about as fast as the average for all occupations.

3. Is engineering a difficult field of study?

Engineering can be a challenging field of study, as it requires a strong understanding of math, science, and problem-solving skills. However, with hard work and dedication, many people are able to succeed in engineering. It is important to have a strong interest and passion for the subject in order to excel in this field.

4. What are the benefits of a career in engineering?

There are many benefits to a career in engineering, such as high job satisfaction, good salaries, and the opportunity to work on exciting and innovative projects. Engineers also play a crucial role in solving society's problems and improving the world we live in.

5. How do I know if engineering is the right choice for me?

If you enjoy problem-solving, have a strong aptitude for math and science, and have a passion for creating and innovating, then engineering may be a good fit for you. It is also important to research and learn about the different fields of engineering to see which aligns best with your interests and career goals.