Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I take a Maths Major?

1. Jun 2, 2004 #1
    Hi guys - need some help!

I'm currently studying Electronic Engineering 2nd year 1st semester. I'm thinking of taking a Maths major in my 3rd year.

This option is not offered at my Uni but the dean of maths said it was do-able and I would get credited.

However, credits ain't my issue. Another problem is timetable clashes coz I've heard 3rd year is terrible but that's not what I'm worried bout. I love Maths but I wanted to know from qualified Engineers and students - What will a full Maths degree do for me? ie. Will it help me in my career?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2004 #2
    One thing is for sure: it won't be detrimental to your career. If you like maths and want to study it, do so. If not, don't. Having a an extra degree in maths (or whatever other field) will not double your salary as an engineer.
  4. Jun 12, 2004 #3
    A degree in mathematics will be beneficial and it will make you more marketable.
  5. Jun 14, 2004 #4

My father was a double major in Chemical Engineering and Applied Mathematics. He said that once a he got the mathematics BS to go along with the ChemE BS, his job offers shot out the roof.

So, Shahil, if you feel you can be a double major and are willing to put in the effort, then by all means, go for it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?