1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I take a Maths Major?

1. Jun 2, 2004 #1
    Hi guys - need some help!

I'm currently studying Electronic Engineering 2nd year 1st semester. I'm thinking of taking a Maths major in my 3rd year.

This option is not offered at my Uni but the dean of maths said it was do-able and I would get credited.

However, credits ain't my issue. Another problem is timetable clashes coz I've heard 3rd year is terrible but that's not what I'm worried bout. I love Maths but I wanted to know from qualified Engineers and students - What will a full Maths degree do for me? ie. Will it help me in my career?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2004 #2
    One thing is for sure: it won't be detrimental to your career. If you like maths and want to study it, do so. If not, don't. Having a an extra degree in maths (or whatever other field) will not double your salary as an engineer.

4. Jun 12, 2004 #3
    A degree in mathematics will be beneficial and it will make you more marketable.
    *Nico

5. Jun 14, 2004 #4

Cod

Exactly!

My father was a double major in Chemical Engineering and Applied Mathematics. He said that once a he got the mathematics BS to go along with the ChemE BS, his job offers shot out the roof.

So, Shahil, if you feel you can be a double major and are willing to put in the effort, then by all means, go for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook