Should i take this class

• Thread starter cap.r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the conversation discusses a person's uncertainty about taking a class on axiomatic set theory and whether they have the necessary background knowledge. The class covers topics such as ordinal and cardinal arithmetic, and the recommended textbook is "Notes on Set Theory" by Y. Moschovakis. The speaker explains that set theory is a difficult field and may not have practical applications in other fields, making it less useful to study. They suggest considering if set theory is a potential area of interest for graduate studies before taking the class. The potential challenges of publishing in this field and its impact on career prospects are also mentioned. Ultimately, the person may need to have experience writing proofs and a strong understanding of analysis in order to succeed in the course
cap.r
Hello, I am trying to figure out whether I should take this class but I am not sure if I have the requirements for it. My school has a habit of setting the requirements bar low when the class might actually be difficult and need a lot of prior knowledge on the subject.

It's called Axiomatic set theory.
Development of a system of axiomatic set theory, choice principles, induction principles, ordinal arithmetic including discussion of cancellation laws, divisibility, canonical expansions, cardinal arithmetic including connections with the axiom of choice, Hartog's theorem, Konig's theorem, properties of regular, singular and inaccessible cardinals.

I have never taken a set theory course and am familiar with these topics but am in no way sure of myself. the text being used is Y. Moschovakis, Notes on Set Theory, Second Edition, Springer, 2006.

I have done a few analysis courses and my next one will start with measure theory. I have done some complex analysis with a year of abstract algebra. and a semester of number theory. I am still young as a mathematician and am trying to see if this will be a good addition.

Thanks,
RK

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Set theory is pretty much in a class of its own, in that unlike the other fields, it does not have repercussions in the other fields. And it's a very difficult field to do research in. Personally, I wouldn't bother taking that class. But read around about set theory and if you feel its something maybe you'd like to study in grad school, then take the class. Otherwise, take something more useful.

quasar987 said:
Set theory is pretty much in a class of its own, in that unlike the other fields, it does not have repercussions in the other fields. And it's a very difficult field to do research in. Personally, I wouldn't bother taking that class. But read around about set theory and if you feel its something maybe you'd like to study in grad school, then take the class. Otherwise, take something more useful.

Could you expand on this a bit? I like most of the subjects I've encountered so far in a pure masters program (algebra,analysis,topology) and I have studied some set theory also. I have heard that it is hard to publish in this field also, as you said. If one were to study this in a Phd program would the lack of "publishability" affect ones career?

letmeknow said:
Could you expand on this a bit? I like most of the subjects I've encountered so far in a pure masters program (algebra,analysis,topology) and I have studied some set theory also. I have heard that it is hard to publish in this field also, as you said. If one were to study this in a Phd program would the lack of "publishability" affect ones career?

I would say the answer to your last question is "yes". But that's putting the cart before the horse. I am now retired but I don't recall a single instance in my career where our department was looking for someone with expertise in abstract set theory. Your first problem would be finding a university job if that's what you are looking for.

Tthe question would be do you have experience writing proofs? You say you have taken "analysis courses". Were these courses where you write proofs? If so, then you are probably ready for the set theory course.

1. Should I take this class even if it's not required for my major?

It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If the class aligns with your interests and could potentially benefit your career, it may be worth taking. However, if it does not align with your goals and may be a burden on your schedule, it may be best to focus on classes that are required for your major.

2. Will taking this class be too difficult for me?

The difficulty of a class can vary from person to person, so it's important to consider your own strengths and weaknesses. It's also helpful to research the class and its requirements beforehand to get a better understanding of what to expect. Additionally, seeking advice from classmates or the professor can also help you determine if the class is a good fit for you.

3. What are the potential benefits of taking this class?

The benefits of taking a class can include gaining knowledge and skills, fulfilling requirements for your major or degree, and expanding your academic and professional network. It can also provide a well-rounded education and make you a more competitive job candidate.

4. Are the class materials and assignments relevant and up-to-date?

This can vary depending on the class and the professor teaching it. It's important to research the class and the professor beforehand to get a better understanding of the course materials and teaching style. You can also reach out to the professor or previous students to get their perspective on the relevance and timeliness of the class materials.

5. Will taking this class be worth the time and money?

This is a personal decision that depends on your individual circumstances. It's important to weigh the potential benefits of the class against the time and financial investment it will require. You can also consider alternative options such as taking a similar class at a later time or pursuing a different learning opportunity that may better align with your goals and schedule.