Should I Take Temp-to-Hire Job in Texas?

• Thread starter fizziks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the job is in a city close to the applicant, but the pay is low and the job is a support position.
fizziks
I just got an e-mail about this job in Texas. It's a temp-to-hire position where I start out for 10/hr for a couple of weeks and shoot up to 25/hr if I get hired. The employer wants an interview with me on Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday. The position starts on the 4th of next month. Sounds nice , but the problem is... this was very unexpected and it's out-of-state.

ATM, I can't afford to fly out there just for an interview (especially for a huge loan I just took out for graduate school tuition), unless I'm guaranteed the job. I called them and they don't sponsor hotel accommodations and plane tickets. The interview must be done in person for paperwork and such. Since it's a temp to hire job, will I be guaranteed a position? Even if it's temp work to try out for the job? Has anyone have experience with temp to hire jobs?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've never been invited to an interview without the employer paying for the travel and lodging expenses. I'd be skeptical.

fizziks,

IBM didn't pay for my plane ticket but when I went there, they hired me, some people just don't want to do the paper work to get the company to pay for the ticket.

It cost around $300 but in 8 months I made gross pay of 28,000 so it was well worth of 300 dollar plane ticket.10 an hour seems low, and 25 full time still seems low. I almost made 25 an hour just as a co-op, so getting that full time seems very weak.
You have to think about the cost of living where you'll be at as well. Look around close to where they will be and see how much it costs to live there a month and see if you can pay the pills on 25 an hour (if you get that).
What is your job title? Whats your major?

You just posted in another forum that your taking data structures and algortihms, and you havn't taken discrete math yet so if you move to Virginia, are u transferring schools or is this just for the summer or what?

Last edited:
That is weird that they're not paying for your trip. What company is this - if you don't mind me asking? Every company I've interviewed with (for an internship), I've had everything paid... as well some perks - free rental car for the weekend, $100 gift certificate, etc.

I wouldn't necessarily take the risk, try to stay around locally if possible.

mr_coffee said:
fizziks,

IBM didn't pay for my plane ticket but when I went there, they hired me, some people just don't want to do the paper work to get the company to pay for the ticket.

It cost around $300 but in 8 months I made gross pay of 28,000 so it was well worth of 300 dollar plane ticket.10 an hour seems low, and 25 full time still seems low. I almost made 25 an hour just as a co-op, so getting that full time seems very weak.
You have to think about the cost of living where you'll be at as well. Look around close to where they will be and see how much it costs to live there a month and see if you can pay the pills on 25 an hour (if you get that).
What is your job title? Whats your major?

You just posted in another forum that your taking data structures and algortihms, and you havn't taken discrete math yet so if you move to Virginia, are u transferring schools or is this just for the summer or what?

I have the option to switch to distance learning for my degree, so I can take my classes online (Comp Sci Masters degree). But the distance learning option requires an insanely huge amount of discipline and it's not for procrastinators (so, I may have trouble with it). 25/hr does sound low but the job is basically a CSR. A bachelor's degree was required to apply. It's a support center for a successful game development company. A very successful game development company.

The problem is this was totally unexpected (I applied to this position over a month ago and thought they didn't want me). I am skeptical about getting the position. But I also don't want to miss out on an offer, as I get very little responds from employers as a physics major. I would decline the offer immediately if my current job paid $15 more per hour.P.S. I also meant to say Austin TX. VA was a different job I've applied for. Don't know why I was thinking of that in this post.

Last edited:
You could probably make a lot more money somewhere else but if you are trying to get into this gaming company and then become a devloper then maybe it would be a good idea.

But again, you have to think of your goals. What did you want to do with your degree?

Be a developer/tester? or just be tech support?

You want to get into a company that YOU know you can move around, you have room for promotions.

For example, at IBM I told them straight up, I DO NOT want to be a tester. Why is that? Because a tester is a step down from a Software Engineer.
My other friend who was offered a job at IBM said the same thing (as a co-op he actually was in Test and automation and hated it). He told him, I don't want to do what I was doing as a co-op and that's test and automation becuase its very little programming. In the end he said screw IBM because CISCO offered him the same pay but gave him the option, he can choose what he wanted to work on which I thought was pretty cool. He got to check out all the different stuff CISCO was working on, and then choose what group he wanted to join rather than just being thrown into any position that was open.

You can be a Comp Sci major, fresh graduate, 1 guy gets in the position of software engineer, the other gets in the Software Tester position.
Well the Tester works for 5 years to become a software engineering title, while the software engineer fresh out of school already has +5 years as a software engineer.
While the software engineer is getting much more experience coding and designing while the software tester is getting better at test. The point is, if your good at test, your going to stay in test, they need testers. A software engineer is screwed without good testers. So if your stuck in a job you hate, but your good at it, your not going to be moving around into another position unless
#1. You have all the key qualities they are looking for in the position and #2. Your not already stuck on another project.

Another interesting thing I found out from the inside after talking to people who have worked with IBM for awhile and my development manager.
Big company's (you said the game company was successful, so I'm assuming its big.) will say, we are so big that you will never be bored, you can move around as much as you want, blah blah blah. False!

Once your on a product/team and say you don't enjoy your work, its just not interesting you and you want to move to a different team/position.
For that to happen the development manager on your team needs someone to replace you if you left (which gets harder and harder the longer you work there.)
If for example your devloping/testing a product and if you left no one has the experience you have your developing manager won't let you transfer. He'll just talk to the other manager your applying to and tell him straight up, if he leaves we are screwed so don't hire him.

The development manager on the other team you want to move too has to have a head count opening, meaning someone either quit or got fired or their team got more money so they have more room to expand. Now the issue is there, there are usually co-ops/interns that are working for that team who already have filled that position. So there is never an opening.

Which brings me to the one last interesting thing my manager told me is, places like IBM don't usually hire people who haven't co-oped with them unless they are PhD's or something doing research. How they fill positions is buy hiring co-ops, they post the jobs wanted online because they have to but in reality they are already filled by the co-ops.

Again I only co-oped for 1 company, and I HOPE not all company's work this way but I'm just letting you know what I've been told.

Microsoft gave me the same line IBM did, but I talked to someone at Microsoft and they really did say they got to work on several different projects which makes me really want to get hired by micro$oft to save me from IBM's wrath but I guess we'll see what happens.So you have to pick your job and title wisely.I asked these questions to people who have been in test for 25 years, and they told me what I'm telling you.

You don't want to be in a position where your not doing things related to programming or something you don't enjoy, because you will become out dated and fresh grads will be replacing the jobs your trying to work for.

So step back and look at what your long term goals are.
Think about how this job is going to help your resume. By having this job, is it going to help you resume or hurt your resume when your trying to find a new job somewhere else?
As the saying goes, if you don't use it, you lose it.

Last edited:
mr_coffee said:
Which brings me to the one last interesting thing my manager told me is, places like IBM don't usually hire people who haven't co-oped with them unless they are PhD's or something doing research. How they fill positions is buy hiring co-ops, they post the jobs wanted online because they have to but in reality they are already filled by the co-ops.

I actually know tons of friends from my school who have been offered a spot with IBM, with no relation to the company whatsoever. This includes people from CS/Engineering and Finance/Management backgrounds.

Sounds like your manager is only giving his perspective on his own hiring methods?

I've did quite a bit of thinking the past 2-3 hours and took some of mr.coffee's advice.

I've decided not to get this job and would probably call them tomorrow morning.

I do love this company and its games it makes. Hell, that's how I got this offer... But, I don't think I'll go far with a CSR job. I thought about my life 10 years down the road and it would suck if I took it, since it's a promotion-less job. It's probably best for me to stick where I am now and continue my masters and my mailing job until I can get a local IT position. Thanks everyone.

Good choice, fizziks.

I just wanted to second that is extremely weird that they do not pay for the interview. I've been at quite a few lately, and everyone of them will pay or at least reimburse you for all of your expenses. Hell, I had an interview that was 20 miles away from where I live and they comped my miles there, put me up in a hotel, and gave me a daily stipend.

It sounds like you made the right decision.

I don't live in the States, but why do you find it odd that the company doesn't pay for your traveling expenses and interview? After all it's just an interview, and you're just an applicant. If you were already in a company then it'll sound odd. Why should a mere applicant be entitled to a reimbursement of their traveling fee and accomodations?

Well, probably becomes it's now seemed as a standard for companies to pay for traveling expensive. I guess the idea is, if they want you, they'll help you get there.

Perhaps my manager(s) are disgruntled or all of the tivoli managers act this way in Research Triangle Park.
Because it wasn't just my manager but development managers of OMEGAMON/XE for z/VM and zNetView. Or maybe Tivoli only works this way, do you know what departments they were getting hired into?

Web sphere/lotus/rational/tivoli? 3 of us were for Tivoli and all got the same responses from our managers, and 1 of my friends was at Web sphere and also got the same response. The reason we asked this was because we wanted to work somewhere else and we asked, what would be our chances of getting hired if we don't continue to co-op here? They then told us their hiring techniques. My friend who was going to get hired by IBM full time was the one who really pushed the questions about what was the likely hood that he could move around in the company (meaning jumping from department to department) and that's what he told him from 2 different Tivoli managers. So perhaps its just Tivoli or perhaps its just Research Triangle Park.

Anywho,
I think you made a good choice fizziks, it seems like you have more potential than being stuck in a job that will probably not help you move very far.

Now that I think back on it, once they did hire me they gave me $2,000 dollars while my friends who got hired only got 600 for relocation expenses (and we live in the same location).
Perhaps they included my travel expenses (since my other friends didn't fly down there.)

I'm sure you'll get more offers at other places, just put your resume out there.

Last edited:
PowerIso said:
Well, probably becomes it's now seemed as a standard for companies to pay for traveling expensive. I guess the idea is, if they want you, they'll help you get there.
I'm not trying to nitpick here, but this is only for the initial interview, and the company probably hasn't even decided whether or not to hire him, and I'll bet dozens of others probably got the same email as well so how is it feasible for the company to reimburse every single one of those interviewees when in the end only one of them will be hired?

Defennnder said:
I'm not trying to nitpick here, but this is only for the initial interview, and the company probably hasn't even decided whether or not to hire him, and I'll bet dozens of others probably got the same email as well so how is it feasible for the company to reimburse every single one of those interviewees when in the end only one of them will be hired?

Because the company is asking the applicant to spend money. The company has a range of options that cost very little- phone interviews, for example. By asking the applicant to rearrange his/her schedule, make travel plans, car rental, hotel accomodations, meals, etc., the company should be willing to demonstrate to the applicant that the company is serious about the time and expense involved in performing a face-to-face interview.

Defennnder said:

That's where your confusion is stemming from. This is not the initial interview. That is done over the phone, or with the recruiter coming to the candidate's area (like an on-campus interview, or at a job fair). A candidate will have gone though one or more remote interviews, had their references contacted, etc., before a company invites the candidate to travel to the company for the in-depth technical interviews with a number of the people there at the company.

Okay, I was under the wrong impression that he wasn't interviewed at all yet.

fizziks said:
I've did quite a bit of thinking the past 2-3 hours and took some of mr.coffee's advice.

I've decided not to get this job and would probably call them tomorrow morning.

I do love this company and its games it makes. Hell, that's how I got this offer... But, I don't think I'll go far with a CSR job. I thought about my life 10 years down the road and it would suck if I took it, since it's a promotion-less job. It's probably best for me to stick where I am now and continue my masters and my mailing job until I can get a local IT position. Thanks everyone.

Its my opinion you made the right choice. I know you say you love the games the company makes, but what's that got to do with being a CSR? I think you'll find irate customers are a pain everywhere, and even more a pain when you aren't in a b2b environment. So, at best, I think you'd be doing equal work for less pay.

Companies with high profiles often count on an employee being born every minute, if you take my meaning.

1. What is a temp-to-hire job?

A temp-to-hire job is a type of employment arrangement where an employee is hired on a temporary basis with the potential to become a permanent employee after a specified period of time. This allows both the employer and employee to assess if the job is a good fit before committing to a permanent position.

2. What are the benefits of a temp-to-hire job in Texas?

One of the main benefits of a temp-to-hire job in Texas is the opportunity to gain valuable work experience and skills in a specific industry or field. It can also be a way to get your foot in the door at a company and potentially secure a permanent job. Additionally, temp-to-hire jobs often come with competitive pay and benefits.

3. What are the potential drawbacks of a temp-to-hire job in Texas?

One potential drawback of a temp-to-hire job in Texas is the uncertainty of job stability. Since the position is temporary, there is always a risk of not being offered a permanent position after the initial period. It may also involve a longer commute or relocation to a new city or state.

4. How does the temp-to-hire process work in Texas?

The temp-to-hire process in Texas typically begins with a contract or agreement outlining the terms and conditions of the temporary employment. This could include the duration of the temporary period, job responsibilities, and compensation. After the specified period, the employer may choose to offer a permanent position or the employee may choose to move on to a different job opportunity.

5. Is a temp-to-hire job in Texas a good career move?

This ultimately depends on your individual career goals and circumstances. If you are looking for a way to gain experience in a specific field or industry, a temp-to-hire job can be a great opportunity. However, if you are seeking long-term job stability, it may be worth considering other options. It is important to carefully weigh the pros and cons and assess how the job aligns with your career goals before making a decision.