1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I transfer from physics to nuclear engineering?

1. Jun 23, 2012 #1
    Hello, so I am currently in a respectable physics program at Queen's University in Canada. I have finished 3 years in the degree (after 4 years, long story...), but my former GPA was around 2.0, not nearly up to the 3.0 standard. I am now considering transferring to the nuclear engineering program at UOIT (a relatively career-focused university) in Canada, which would take three more years to get the bachelor of engineering degree. Otherwise, I could stay at Queen's, do a 4th year and then a year in the teacher's school to become qualified to for a physics/science/math teacher.

I am interested in both nuclear engineering or teaching, but from what I have heard, the more important thing would be to choose the one that may have better market prospects, especially considering the current economics. It feels like (although I know it is very bad to assume) nuclear engineering would be a marketable degree, considering UOIT is close to two of Ontario's nuclear power plants, however Queen's physics and teacher's school are very respectable programs, at least in the province.

I have heard Ontario Power Generation isn't hiring anyone for a few years; I imagine they have done a round of hirings in recent years. However, a lot of the current engineers are close or very close to retirement age (although they don't have to retire at the age), so it feels like it is a job that one could land with patience. Teaching on the other hand isn't as clear, since a lot of people went into studying teaching in Canada in recent years, although I imagine more in the arts. But again, Queen's physics and teacher's college are quite respectable. Since I would be a few years behind a lot people, who went to college straight from high school, in getting a bachelor's degree, the market prospects is a top priority in my decision. (In addition, the possibility of electrical engineering at UOIT was also mentioned, but I think only if it has better prospects than nuclear and teaching.)

Thanks for reading into this.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted