1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I transfer? Is transferring LATE frowned upon?

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    I'm a sophomore chemistry/math major at a SMALL school that does not offer engineering or physics as a major.

However, I did research projects the past 2 summers in biophysics and optical related projects. I realized that I REALLY enjoyed the chemical engineering and physics aspects of the research after working with the physicists and chemical engineers on the project. I recently discovered that I need to get a degree in some sort of engineering or physics to go to grad school in chemical engineering or physics.

I've been considering transferring back home to a top chemical engineering school, but I won't be able to transfer into the school (due to requirements I'll have to take elsewhere) until NEXT SUMMER (I'll be a junior going into my senior year). I really want to study chemical engineering and/or physics though.

This means I my graduation of undergraduate school will be delayed by about 2 or 3 years.

Is transferring because of this reason a bad thing to do? My school does not offer an engineering or physics degree of any kind, so when applying to graduate school would they be weirded out that I transferred so late in the game?

Thanks for your time

EDIT: The engineering/physics research I did were at Princeton University and a research institute in the Czech Republic (I only got accepted because of my chemistry and math background). They were legit research projects and I definitely got a good taste of the field and realized how interested in it I am.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted