1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I transfer?

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1
    I've been studying mechanical engineering this past year. It's been going good. Except now I realize I should have gone for a nuclear engineering degree at another university. On my current schedule, I could graduate with a degree in mechanical engineering 3 years with some nuclear classes thrown in. (3 years due to community college and AP credit in high school) Transferring would mean 4 years for graduation and also tons of money lost. On the other hand, the classwork would be a bit better. In addition, I have yet to have a laboratory or internship experience and I don't know how I'm gonna get one of these anytime soon considering I've never held any (paying) job anytime in my life. So 4 years would give me more time to gain experience. I'm also interested in studying nuclear engineering in grad school and I know that you can't just say you have a 4.0 you need at least a year or so experience on a legit research team. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2
    I would finish your BS in mechanical engineering and then get a masters in nuclear engineering if you are still interested at that time. You will be much more versatile (and marketable) with both degrees.

4. Aug 4, 2011 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that's really good advice. The nuclear field looks a bit dicey right now - well, there are PFers who work in the field who would know first-hand, I'll let them chime in.

ME is very marketable, though.

5. Aug 4, 2011 #4
    I mean can get into a MS thesis program just based on grades and maybe one good internship? If my MS thesis is good enough will that be enough to eventually apply later to a PhD program?

6. Aug 10, 2011 #5
    Additionally, the converse is true for NE. If you have a degree in nuclear engineering, you will be in the general sense confined to that field. Whereas an ME degree will allow you to do a multitude of things (for instance, get a masters in nuclear engineering).

ME is more versatile and more marketable. I actually was in a similar situation as watermelon, and decided to stay at my current school and stick with ME (and pick up math, because who doesnt love math?) for the above-mentioned reasons.

I'm not sure that I fully understand your last post, but if your question is would you be able to get into a nuclear engineering MS program with an ME degree, the answer is yes absolutely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook