Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I transfer?

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1
    I've been studying mechanical engineering this past year. It's been going good. Except now I realize I should have gone for a nuclear engineering degree at another university. On my current schedule, I could graduate with a degree in mechanical engineering 3 years with some nuclear classes thrown in. (3 years due to community college and AP credit in high school) Transferring would mean 4 years for graduation and also tons of money lost. On the other hand, the classwork would be a bit better. In addition, I have yet to have a laboratory or internship experience and I don't know how I'm gonna get one of these anytime soon considering I've never held any (paying) job anytime in my life. So 4 years would give me more time to gain experience. I'm also interested in studying nuclear engineering in grad school and I know that you can't just say you have a 4.0 you need at least a year or so experience on a legit research team. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2
    I would finish your BS in mechanical engineering and then get a masters in nuclear engineering if you are still interested at that time. You will be much more versatile (and marketable) with both degrees.

4. Aug 4, 2011 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that's really good advice. The nuclear field looks a bit dicey right now - well, there are PFers who work in the field who would know first-hand, I'll let them chime in.

ME is very marketable, though.

5. Aug 4, 2011 #4
    I mean can get into a MS thesis program just based on grades and maybe one good internship? If my MS thesis is good enough will that be enough to eventually apply later to a PhD program?

6. Aug 10, 2011 #5
    Additionally, the converse is true for NE. If you have a degree in nuclear engineering, you will be in the general sense confined to that field. Whereas an ME degree will allow you to do a multitude of things (for instance, get a masters in nuclear engineering).

ME is more versatile and more marketable. I actually was in a similar situation as watermelon, and decided to stay at my current school and stick with ME (and pick up math, because who doesnt love math?) for the above-mentioned reasons.

I'm not sure that I fully understand your last post, but if your question is would you be able to get into a nuclear engineering MS program with an ME degree, the answer is yes absolutely.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook