1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I try for a Masters or Doctorate in chemistry?

1. Feb 15, 2005 #1
    I am doing a BS in chemistry and I enjoy the subject alot. I find the graduate level classes, based on their academic descriptions, to be subjects I'd really like to learn just for the experience of knowing these subjects. When I graduate I should have a 3.3 CGPA with B's in most of my chemistry courses. Not great, but not bottom of the barrel either. I'd have a few years of work experience before I tried grad school too.

However I don't think I want a full doctorate. The main reason i'd go to grad school wouldn't be to advance my career (MS doesn't offer many advances beyond a BS) or for the money (i'm a frugal single person so I don't need the extra money) it would be for a chance to learn graduate level chemistry subjects like quantum theory and atomic interaction, the biochemistry of protein and DNA synthesis or advanced organic synthesis.

Is there a such thing as an MS program that lets you transfer your MS credits into a doctorate program just in case I decide to do a full doctorate 10 year afterwards? Are there MS programs that offer tuition reimbursement and stipends (if not i'd probably have to try to get into a PhD program then drop out after 2-3 years)? What are the qualifications for a graduate level stipend/tuition reimbursement package? Is a MS good for anything in the working world of chemistry (i'd do it just to learn the material but if I can get career benefits out of it then all the better). Maybe I should just learn this stuff at the library but I don't think i'd have the self discipline to study and learn 30 hours a week in my free time for 2 years like I would in a school setting.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted