Should I use recommended textbook for Calc 1?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the textbook "Essential Calculus - Early Transcendentals" for the course "Calculus 1." The speaker expresses concerns about the book's user-friendliness and negative reviews on Amazon. They also mention the use of "recommended" textbooks and ask for suggestions for alternative books. The conversation also brings up the availability of online resources as a potential alternative to a physical textbook.
mrjoules
I will be starting calculus 1 in a few weeks and I was wondering if i should use "Essential Calculus - Early Transcendentals" our reccomended textbook. I was going to buy it on amazon but noticed it got a lot of negative reviews. I am the sort of student that needs to learn a lot from the book and I'm a bit worried that this book is not user friendly. Has anyone got any suggestions of an alternative in case I decide to get another book?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "recommended" mean in this case?
My courses have a single "required" text and several "recommended" ones. To me "recommended" means "optional" and is included for those students who find the required text (which is required because I teach from it) does not match up well with their learning style.

I found the book on Amazon and they say there are no reviews for it yet. Perhaps yours is a different book? This one claims to be concise at 900 pages - which would still be 3x the size of the text I learned from :/

If it is not being used directly by the course, and it has a lot of bad reviews, then don't get it.

I don't know what "Calculus 1" means... so I'll leave someone else to make a specific suggestion. The book I found seems to be for year 1 college though, with that in mind:

There are now many excellent online resources. eg. MIT Online text, and other resources on that page.

1. Should I use the recommended textbook for Calc 1?

It is highly recommended that you use the recommended textbook for Calc 1. This textbook has been specifically chosen by your professor to align with the course curriculum and will provide you with the necessary information and practice problems to succeed in the class.

2. Can I use a different textbook for Calc 1?

While it is not recommended, you can use a different textbook for Calc 1. However, keep in mind that the course material and assignments may be based on the recommended textbook, so using a different textbook may make it difficult to follow along and complete assignments accurately.

3. Is the recommended textbook for Calc 1 expensive?

The cost of the recommended textbook for Calc 1 may vary, but it is important to remember that investing in your education is worth it. You can also look into purchasing a used or electronic version of the textbook to save money.

4. Can I just use online resources instead of the recommended textbook for Calc 1?

While there are many online resources available for Calc 1, the recommended textbook is still the best option. Online resources may not cover all of the necessary material or may not align with the course curriculum. It is important to have a comprehensive and reliable resource like the recommended textbook.

5. What are the benefits of using the recommended textbook for Calc 1?

Using the recommended textbook for Calc 1 can provide you with a structured and organized learning experience. It will also have practice problems and examples specific to the course, making it easier to understand and apply the material. Additionally, the recommended textbook may have online resources or additional study materials to help you succeed in the class.