1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I use recomended textbook for Calc 1?

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    I will be starting calculus 1 in a few weeks and I was wondering if i should use "Essential Calculus - Early Transcendentals" our reccomended textbook. I was going to buy it on amazon but noticed it got alot of negative reviews. I am the sort of student that needs to learn alot from the book and I'm a bit worried that this book is not user friendly. Has anyone got any suggestions of an alternative in case I decide to get another book?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What does "recommended" mean in this case?
    My courses have a single "required" text and several "recommended" ones. To me "recommended" means "optional" and is included for those students who find the required text (which is required because I teach from it) does not match up well with their learning style.

I found the book on Amazon and they say there are no reviews for it yet. Perhaps yours is a different book? This one claims to be concise at 900 pages - which would still be 3x the size of the text I learned from :/

If it is not being used directly by the course, and it has a lot of bad reviews, then don't get it.

I don't know what "Calculus 1" means... so I'll leave someone else to make a specific suggestion. The book I found seems to be for year 1 college though, with that in mind:

There are now many excellent online resources. eg. MIT Online text, and other resources on that page.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook