Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should Inmates Be Given Internet Access?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
  2. No

3 vote(s)
  1. Jul 5, 2003 #1
    [SOLVED] Should Inmates Be Given Internet Access?

I think Mr. Robin Parsons has already answered this question for us.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i think they should earn it...just like everyone else, they earn it as well...
  4. Jul 5, 2003 #3
    I don't think that they could be trusted with the internet. Too quick to monitor information.
  5. Jul 5, 2003 #4

Science Advisor

Greetings !

The whole point is that people spend time with themselves
    and think of their actions and how long they've got to indure
    this boredom and lack of freedom more. If they have access to the
    Internet they'll be distracted from this important aspect
    and they could potentialy cause more harm directly or through
    causing others to do it as well as prepare to do so once they
    can get out.

In conclusion - NO !

Live long and prosper.
  6. Jul 5, 2003 #5
    the idea of being inside is that you are kept out of society, so no. but if i was an inmate i would say yes, obviously.
  7. Jul 5, 2003 #6
    Good post Entropy, i voted no because they dont deserve it.
  8. Jul 5, 2003 #7
    Depends on what they want to use it for...don't we want criminals to come out more informed than they were when they went it, so maybe they can contribute to society?
  9. Jul 5, 2003 #8
    Ok but maybe the use of the internet should be limited so that they can only view educational websites.
  10. Jul 5, 2003 #9
    Yes, I agree, and also they should only be allowed to eat American potato salad only German potato salad... and non-alcholic beer.

11. Jul 5, 2003 #10

They get steak dinners in minimum security prisons so my answer is NO! Thats all i need is a too bit hacker inmate crashing my system.
    Anyways...I believe they should be subjected to education (Nothing about legal) and tortured with positive reinforcement (ie., classical music, arts and crafts without the weapons, basically anything that will refine them back to society). Oh yeah, I think they should repay back to society what they took this is why I believe in the chain gang system. Break the law and pay for it. An eye for an eye!
  12. Jul 5, 2003 #11
    That's a damn good idea! But let's solve the energy crisis while we're at it. Let's make inmates ride exercise bikes connected to electrical generators all day long.

So much for Cruel and Unusual Punishment laws.

13. Jul 5, 2003 #12
    Prisoners shouldn't be allowed any such luxuries.

They went to prison because they committed a crime. They deserve to be in prison!

Too many prisons (in this country at least) are literally holiday camps. I should think the prisoners have a good relaxing time most days. Which obviously isn't the point.
  14. Jul 5, 2003 #13

Science Advisor

Hey ! That's a great idea ! Seriously ! :smile:
    Of course, "normal" people, as ussual, will probably say it's
    unethical - fools !
  15. Jul 5, 2003 #14

Science Advisor

Besides, think of all the tax-payers' money that will
    be required to do this. :wink:
  16. Jul 5, 2003 #15
    Actually, there's a fundamental techical problem with this solution. It's difficult to couple such an incoherent power source to the grid. You mostly get reflection off the transmission line since there is no single frequency to use for matching. There is currently research underway to figure out how make cheap, power efficient, solid-state switches that could be used for converting irregular power to single frequency AC power. The hope is that such an invention will allow us to better harness natural irregular energy sources like wind.

17. Jul 5, 2003 #16
    Why not burn the inmates in a large furnace?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?