Should it matter to me that my local CC doesn't offer an AS in Mathematics?

In summary, it is recommended to contact the school you plan on transferring to in order to inquire about their policy on accepting transfer credits from community colleges, as each school may have different policies.
logically
I tried doing a google search on this and couldn't find the information I was looking for.

My first undergrad was in Intelligence Analysis (I was MI in the Army) and now in my 4th year as a Business Student and I've gotten the math bug. I'd like to avoid high costs of school (my current university is a private school) and attend CC for the first two years. Both Valencia CC (valenciacollege.edu) and Seminole State College (seminolestate.edu) offer AA and not AS degrees in Mathematics.
Will this effect me further down the education road (finale two years of my undergrad or grad level)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to answer this question is to contact the school you are considering transferring to for your last two years of undergraduate studies or for graduate school. Ask them about their policy on accepting transfer credits from community colleges. Each school will have their own policies, so it is important to ask directly.

1. Should I be concerned about my local community college not offering an AS in Mathematics?

It depends on your academic and career goals. If you plan on pursuing a degree or career in a field that requires a strong foundation in mathematics, it may be beneficial to consider transferring to a college that offers an AS in Mathematics. However, if your goals do not require a specific degree in mathematics, you can still take individual math courses at your community college to improve your skills.

2. Will not having an AS in Mathematics limit my future academic and career opportunities?

Again, it depends on your goals. Some fields, such as engineering or data analysis, may require a degree in mathematics. However, there are many other fields that do not have this requirement. It is important to research the specific requirements for your desired career path and make an informed decision.

3. Can I still transfer to a four-year university without an AS in Mathematics?

Yes, you can still transfer to a four-year university without an AS in Mathematics. However, you may need to take additional math courses to fulfill the mathematics requirements of your chosen university. It is important to check with the university you plan on transferring to for their specific requirements.

4. Are there any benefits to taking math courses at a community college instead of pursuing an AS in Mathematics?

Yes, there are benefits to taking math courses at a community college. These courses are typically more affordable and may have smaller class sizes, allowing for more individualized attention from professors. Additionally, community colleges often have transfer agreements with four-year universities, making it easier to transfer credits.

5. What other options do I have if my local CC doesn't offer an AS in Mathematics?

If you are unable to transfer to a different community college or university, you can still improve your mathematics skills by taking individual math courses, utilizing online resources, or joining a study group. Additionally, there may be certificate programs or vocational schools that offer specialized training in a math-related field that you are interested in pursuing.