Should musicians be shamed for liking pop music?

• Music
  • Thread starter Yellowkies_3275
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: In terms of like..the emo scene no fall out boy is not at all old school, but I meant regarding fall out boy's discography i listen to their earlier music like from 2001-2005Pop music is still music. They should be the ones ashamed for looking down on other types of music. If it is that they don't want to hear it, that's cool.
Yellowkies_3275
Maybe this is a little too irrelevant even for a general lounge section but:

a lot of my fellow music friends either listen to classical music, or really emo stuff

admittedly I listen to classical music quite often myself, and though I'm apparently in the wrong on this analysis, find myself emo enough for listening to old old school fallout boy and mcr (as well as p!atd)...apparently this isn't real emo music though

where I find my real musical sources of shame to be though are my love of pop music. I don't like western pop much but the pop music in most other countries is actually, in my opinion, decent. Most of it isn't the most original granted but regardless there are some good humming tunes in pop music, and there are definitely some pretty creative pop songs (comparative to the rest of the genre) that people don't give a chance before lumping in with that "been there done that they all use the same chord progressions and all suck" category.

Science news on Phys.org
Fallout Boy is old school? :confused:
And I don't think people should be shamed for liking any genre of music...especially musicians. What kind of musician puts down other music?? I think liking a broad spectrum of tunes is a trait of a mature and just cool to be around person.

Pop music is still music. They should be the ones ashamed for looking down on other types of music. If it is that they don't want to hear it, that's cool. But badmouthing other music... Not cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWZKw_MgUPI said:
Sick and tired of hearing all this people talk about
"What's the deal with this pop life and when is it going to fade out"
The thing you've got to realize, what we are doing is not a trend.
We've got the gift of melody
We're going to bring it till the end
Come on now...

Do you ever wonder why
this music gets you high
It takes you on a ride
Feel-It-When-Your body starts to rock.

-NSYNC

Ah, good times to be alive. :approve: (Lyrics may not be accurate, I'm not a native English speaker)

Likes Yellowkies_3275
opus said:
Fallout Boy is old school? :confused:
And I don't think people should be shamed for liking any genre of music...especially musicians. What kind of musician puts down other music?? I think liking a broad spectrum of tunes is a trait of a mature and just cool to be around person.
In terms of like..the emo scene no fall out boy is not at all old school, but I meant regarding fall out boy's discography i listen to their earlier music like from 2001-2005

Psinter said:
Pop music is still music. They should be the ones ashamed for looking down on other types of music. If it is that they don't want to hear it, that's cool. But badmouthing other music... Not cool.
Ah, good times to be alive. :approve: (Lyrics may not be accurate, I'm not a native English speaker)
yes-raccoon-emoticon.gif
Yeah its not like I'm forcing them to listen to what I like or anything
and that is a great song!

Attachments

• yes-raccoon-emoticon.gif
    yes-raccoon-emoticon.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,137
Likes Psinter
Yellowkies_3275 said:
Why. I really like that little red guy emoticon. ^.^

I had never seen it before.

Likes Yellowkies_3275
Psinter said:
Why. I really like that little red guy emoticon. ^.^

I had never seen it before.
It's from another forum I use :-p
but If you want to start using them there's also a website full of them and you just copy the image url's and insert it like an image

http://emoticoner.com/emoticons/raccoon

:-p

Likes Psinter
Yellowkies_3275 said:
It's from another forum I use :-p
but If you want to start using them there's also a website full of them and you just copy the image url's and insert it like an image

http://emoticoner.com/emoticons/raccoon

:-p
They are so cute and funny!
happy-ears-raccoon-emoticon.gif

Attachments

• happy-ears-raccoon-emoticon.gif
    happy-ears-raccoon-emoticon.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,137
Likes Yellowkies_3275
The Beatles and music:

Likes PeroK and Yellowkies_3275

Attachments

• revolve-raccoon-emoticon.gif
    revolve-raccoon-emoticon.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 634
Likes Psinter
Try this

Likes Yellowkies_3275
Yellowkies_3275 said:

a lot of my fellow music friends either listen to classical music, or really emo stuff

admittedly I listen to classical music quite often myself, and though I'm apparently in the wrong on this analysis, find myself emo enough for listening to old old school fallout boy and mcr (as well as p!atd)...apparently this isn't real emo music though

where I find my real musical sources of shame to be though are my love of pop music. I don't like western pop much but the pop music in most other countries is actually, in my opinion, decent. Most of it isn't the most original granted but regardless there are some good humming tunes in pop music, and there are definitely some pretty creative pop songs (comparative to the rest of the genre) that people don't give a chance before lumping in with that "been there done that they all use the same chord progressions and all suck" category.
No.Actually it is not like that.Most of us used to hear music for refreshment and relaxing.So we can hear music which gives refreshment,either it may be pop or classic.For example: Most the people in this generation like pop music, but few generations ago they liked classical music.No matter what it is music is to bring us peace and joy.

Likes Yellowkies_3275
I'm an amateur classical instrumentalist, playing violin in orchestras and playing the piano, as well as dabbling in a few other instruments such as guitar. When I was a teenager, I liked playing some of the current popular music such as "Yesterday", "Bridge over Troubled Water", "You've Got a Friend" (Carole King version) and bits from "Dark Side of the Moon", which included interesting harmonies and textures, and I still like those. However, I feel that they are only scratching the surface of musical possibilities compared with some of my favourite works such as Bach's solo cello and violin suites, Borodin's Polovtsian Dances and string quartets, Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini and John Williams' scores for Star Wars (unlike a lot of other modern film music, which is basically "atmosphere", often with clumsy and awkward harmonies simply to try to be "original" for the sake of it).

I see much popular music compared with much of classical music as being like gift wrap paper or patterned wallpaper compared with famous paintings, or like piles of fries or candy compared with an interesting meal. It can be very attractive, but it's limited and often musically very shallow. For songs, the words are important as well, and can make a big difference. However, I suspect that nowadays the personality and fame of the singer and any associated videos count far more towards the success of a work than either the words or the music.

Likes Yellowkies_3275 and OmCheeto
My brother is a professional violinist, and he has a friend who is a professional opera singer. But they also listen to pop, heavy metal, jazz, etc. and they say they like it.

Subjectively speaking, those who only likes one type of genre of music and dismisses any other genre of music are those who have no clue about music in the first place (the opposite is not true, of course). Those who have gone to prestigious music schools tend to appreciate all forms of music.

Likes Yellowkies_3275, OmCheeto and BWV
I'm a gigging musician and I listen to pop (not exclusively, of course). I'm the only one in my band who does, though, and there's definitely a snobby attitude towards pop in the local music scene.

Likes Auto-Didact and Yellowkies_3275
Like honeslty, Beyonce's Formation was epic.

Likes Yellowkies_3275
Yellowkies_3275 said:

No, I definitely don't think so. I play guitar and keyboards and I listen to a lot of different music and I enjoy a lot of different styles like classical music, ambient instrumental music, modern rock and pop.

If you want to joke around with people who like classical music, you can call it too modern, and suggest they listen to this instead :biggrin::
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AY2K3Q/?tag=pfamazon01-20
(5 CDs with excellent medieval music IMO)

Likes BillTre and Yellowkies_3275
I am into 90s Britpop, UK Garage, Old School Funk, Alternative rock and other genres

We need to be strict and define pop music as popular music. I see nothing wrong with liking music that is popular at the time. 70's, 80's 90's, does it really matter?

Likes BillTre
kjsisco said:
We need to be strict and define pop music as popular music. I see nothing wrong with liking music that is popular at the time. 70's, 80's 90's, does it really matter?
That is a good point. I agree.

The term "pop" is well defined, but its usage is somewhat ambiguous among people. For example, in the late 1980s to early 1990s, we had something called "pop-metal" (famous example like Bon Jovi). The term "pop-metal" did not mean "popular metal songs" but "metal songs that sounded like pop".

Likes BillTre

1. What is pop music and how is it different from other genres?

Pop music is a genre of music that is characterized by catchy, easy-to-remember melodies, repetitive lyrics, and a strong beat. It is usually produced with the intention of appealing to a wide audience and is often associated with mainstream culture. Unlike other genres, pop music is constantly evolving and adapting to current trends and popular culture.

2. Why do some people shame others for liking pop music?

There are a variety of reasons why some people may shame others for liking pop music. Some may view it as a "less serious" or "less authentic" form of music compared to other genres. Others may see it as a reflection of mainstream culture and criticize it for lacking originality or depth. However, it is important to recognize that music is subjective and there is no right or wrong when it comes to personal taste.

3. Is it fair to shame musicians for liking pop music?

No, it is not fair to shame musicians for liking pop music. Musicians should be able to enjoy and appreciate any genre of music without fear of judgement. It is also important to remember that many successful and talented musicians have come from the pop music industry, and their skills and contributions should be respected regardless of the genre they are associated with.

4. Can liking pop music affect a musician's credibility?

Liking pop music does not necessarily affect a musician's credibility. While some may view pop music as less serious or less authentic, it is important to remember that music is subjective and there is no one "right" form of music. A musician's credibility should be based on their talent, skill, and contributions to the music industry, not their personal taste in music.

5. How can we promote acceptance and appreciation of all music genres?

We can promote acceptance and appreciation of all music genres by recognizing and celebrating the diversity and uniqueness of each genre. Instead of shaming or criticizing others for their taste in music, we can learn from one another and appreciate the different perspectives and influences that shape our musical preferences. It is also important to support and uplift all musicians, regardless of the genre they are associated with.