Should My Roommate be Flushing Dental Floss?

• Thread starter bballwaterboy
  • Start date
In summary, it seems that flushing dental floss down the toilet is totally safe, but it could potentially cause a clog. It's up to the individual to decide if they're comfortable with the potential hazard.
bballwaterboy
Not sure how "safe" this is and thought I'd ask some people more knowledgeable than myself.

I live in an apartment this year and have two other roommates. Still technically a campus rented property, but we're responsible for our own cleaning like a real apt.

Anyhow, I notice that one of my roommates flushes dental floss down the toilet after he's done. I never said anything the first three weeks, but am starting to wonder about it now.

Totally Safe, Possible Hazard, or total No-no?

Worried about some kind of a clog. ...and possibly having to pay ourselves for a fix!

Physics news on Phys.org
Clog, I doubt it. Might not be environmentally the best, but I've done it before.

bballwaterboy said:
Not sure how "safe" this is and thought I'd ask some people more knowledgeable than myself.

I live in an apartment this year and have two other roommates. Still technically a campus rented property, but we're responsible for our own cleaning like a real apt.

Anyhow, I notice that one of my roommates flushes dental floss down the toilet after he's done. I never said anything the first three weeks, but am starting to wonder about it now.

Totally Safe, Possible Hazard, or total No-no?

Worried about some kind of a clog. ...and possibly having to pay ourselves for a fix!
How much dental floss are you talking about? A couple strands or a couple kilograms?

Not a hazard as in containing any dangerous substances.
Not a hazard as in causing plumbing problems.
Maybe hazardous as in that seems to be giving you nightmares.

rootone said:
Not a hazard as in causing plumbing problems.
Apparently, it is clogging up pumps in Toronto, if you read Edward's link. It is, actually, very strong stuff, and I can see it getting wound around spinning shafts without breaking.

Likes davenn
Bad idea IMHO for the reasons already stated - it is very strong, and while single piece is not going to do much harm, I can easily imagine it becoming a part of a clog that is pretty difficult to remove. I have seen a clog containing fibers from a washing machine - the filter was broken and the fibers were not removed from the waste water, instead they accumulated in the tube further down, together with some slimy junk.

It really depends on how robust the sewage system in your neck of the woods is, in some of the townships of South Africa all sorts of things (some of which we'd rather not know about) get tossed in the drains, so some pretty intense pumps have been installed to deal with it. But as a general rule, bin it before you flush it.

SteamKing said:
How much dental floss are you talking about? A couple strands or a couple kilograms?

Not sure exactly how much, but I know he flushes it every time he flosses. I guess whatever a normal person uses for daily flossing, that's how much he flushes.

I just don't want any clogging issues, because I'm afraid we might have to pay for it. I'll talk to him about this after reading people's posts here. :cool: Thanks guys!

(p.s. I'm guessing shaving and allowing hairs down the sink/pipes is okay right? I shave in a sink and wash it all away down the pipes.)

1. What is the harm in flushing dental floss?

Flushing dental floss can cause serious damage to your plumbing and sewer systems. The floss can get tangled and clog pipes, leading to expensive repairs. It can also cause problems at wastewater treatment plants by getting caught in the machinery.

2. Can flushing dental floss harm the environment?

Yes, flushing dental floss can harm the environment. When floss gets into waterways, it can harm aquatic life by entangling animals or being mistaken for food. It can also contribute to the formation of "fatbergs" in sewers, which are large masses of congealed waste that can harm ecosystems.

3. Can flushing dental floss cause health problems?

While flushing dental floss may not directly cause health problems, it can contribute to larger issues with your plumbing and sewage systems. These issues can lead to contamination of your water supply, which can have negative effects on your health.

4. Is there a safe way to dispose of dental floss?

Yes, there are safe ways to dispose of dental floss. The best way is to throw it in the trash. You can also look for floss made from biodegradable materials or use a reusable floss pick to reduce waste. Just make sure to dispose of these properly as well.

5. Are there any alternatives to flushing dental floss?

Yes, there are alternatives to flushing dental floss. You can use a small trash can in your bathroom specifically for disposing of floss. You can also use water flossers or interdental brushes, which can be washed and reused, to reduce waste from traditional flossing.