Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should prisoners get a vote?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Jun 4, 2004 #1
    Simple question but would like some response to it.

A couple days back I was watching MTV News and they covered a Hip Hop convention where Eminem was encouraging the youth to vote. Apparently he can't vote becasue he is a convicted felon.

Recently in SA, there was a court ruling which basically gave the vote to a couple thousand prisoners.

Now, what should the proper democratic stance be on convicts? Should they be given the vote or not. After all they are citizens of the country but on the other hand, they have broken the rules of the country.

i really don't have a view on this issue and was :redface: hoping u guys can give me some direction here!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2004 #2
    Prisoners can't vote?

4. Jun 4, 2004 #3
    Prisoners in jail or on probation shouldn't be allowed to vote but if you are convicted and walking free, such as Eminem, should be allowed to vote since they are trying to live renewed lives. If you are convicted twice for the same crime or even a different one then you sould not be allowed to vote. But thats just my opinion.

5. Jun 4, 2004 #4
    Do you mean can't as in shouldn't be allowed to or can't as in they're not allowed to.

After the court ruling in SA, prisoners CAN vote while serving their prison term.

6. Jun 4, 2004 #5
    As in they're not allowed to.

This was new to me. As I understand you correctly that's US law, prisoners may not vote in the US?

I think they should be allowed to. First of all, some pocket thief is not a serial killer, you have to draw the line somewhere. Second of all, in my eyes this is a misuse of a fundamental right for juristical purpouses. The sentence for a crime is prison, and nothing else.

7. Jun 4, 2004 #6
    It's not prisoners, it's felons that cannot vote.

Losing the right to vote is an additional punishment and is to be a deterrent.

8. Jun 4, 2004 #7
    The line is drawn at felonies and misdermeanors. If you are a felon, you hand over your freedom, your right to handle a gun, and to vote.

9. Jun 4, 2004 #8

jimmy p

Gold Member

I dont think prisoners should vote like phatmonky said above. People who are convicted should be given basic human rights but not freedom such as voting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?