Should smoking in all the public places (indoors and outdoors) be banned?

• News
  • Thread starter Cinitiator
  • Start date
In summary: BBQing. Driving should be allowed, but with the same restrictions as smoking. It's not like people are going to get behind the wheel if they can't smoke.In summary, I think that smoking in all the public places, including streets, parks and even rivers, should be banned. This would protect those who smoke and those who don't smoke from the negative effects of smoking. Banning smoking in outdoor public places is more problematic, but who pays for enforcement, and how is the enforcement implemented? I would have no issue with smoking being banned in all public places -- indoor and outdoor. Reduce the number of cigarette butts being tossed onto public property and reduce the amount of second-hand smoke nearby people are exposed to
Ryan_m_b said:
So if asked you can provide all this data that you claim you have?

Sure. The data in question is the population density data, as well as the infrastructural information and urban planning data (ex: bus stops). You can access it via a search engine, as providing the said data for the entire world would be more than problematic and not very time efficient.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cinitiator said:
Sure. The data in question is the population density data, as well as the infrastructural information and urban planning data (ex: bus stops). You can access it via a search engine, as providing the said data for the entire world would be more than problematic and not very time efficient.
You claimed you were basing your conclusion that exposure to outdoor second hand smoke was significant based on this. Are you now saying you haven't looked at it?

Even so the data you suggest won't give anything more than a back of the envelope guestimation (bearing in mind that none of that will give you accurate information on smoking habits). Not something fit for deciding public policy!

WannabeNewton said:
I couldn't care less of smoking harmed the smoker.

You should, unless you don't care about paying more for your medical insurance to cover part of their higher treatment costs.

Ryan_m_b said:
You claimed you were basing your conclusion that exposure to outdoor second hand smoke was significant based on this. Are you now saying you haven't looked at it?

Even so the data you suggest won't give anything more than a back of the envelope guestimation (bearing in mind that none of that will give you accurate information on smoking habits). Not something fit for deciding public policy!

"You claimed you were basing your conclusion that exposure to outdoor second hand smoke was significant based on this."

Not at all. I was claiming that this gives a mild to a moderate credibility to the evidence up to date. There's no reason to think of empirical evidence in terms of true or false, as one has to use inductive reasoning in a world with imperfect information, which doesn't yield true or false results in every case by its definition (the truth of the conclusion doesn't depend on the truth of the premises)."bearing in mind that none of that will give you accurate information on smoking habits"

It will give some estimation, especially after looking at the statistics of the percentage of the smoking population. Based on the said percentage, one can make regional population distribution inferences for a given time period and connect them to the infrastructural properties, adding some credibility to the conclusion of harm of outside second-hand smoking.

Of course, this won't have a high degree of certainty, and I never claimed it would be. However, the risk plays as an additive factor of taking an action on the issue, as the public health risks are a second factor of our decision making process.

Cinitiator said:
"You claimed you were basing your conclusion that exposure to outdoor second hand smoke was significant based on this."

Not at all. I was claiming that this gives a mild to a moderate credibility to the evidence up to date. There's no reason to think of empirical evidence in terms of true or false, as one has to use inductive reasoning in a world with imperfect information, which doesn't yield true or false results in every case by its definition (the truth of the conclusion doesn't depend on the truth of the premises).
You are completely missing the point, again. Unless you've looked at this evidence how do you know it will back you up? You stated:
Cinitiator said:
Yes. The frequency of close proximity to the smoker is often observed in the real world situations. And outdoor smoking should be banned even before such studies will be carried out, as the evidence up to date is enough to do so.
I asked you what this evidence was after pointing out there is none. You've stated that by looking at population density and smoking demographics that we can get a rough idea (btw as standards of evidence goes that's mildly better than anecdotal and shouldn't be treated as anything more than that. It's not even anywhere close to a preliminary study and certainly nothing of strong enough note to start creating policy over unless you want all policy decisions to be so ill informed) but you admit you haven't looked so you are just assuming that it will back you up based on...?

Cinitiator said:
"bearing in mind that none of that will give you accurate information on smoking habits"

It will give some estimation, especially after looking at the statistics of the percentage of the smoking population. Based on the said percentage, one can make regional population distribution inferences for a given time period and connect them to the infrastructural properties, adding some credibility to the conclusion of harm of outside second-hand smoking.

Of course, this won't have a high degree of certainty, and I never claimed it would be. However, the risk plays as an additive factor of taking an action on the issue, as the public health risks are a second factor of our decision making process.
It will not give you a reasonable amount of data to base policy on. Population distribution is based on where people live, not how close they get to each other. You keep saying infrastructual properties so perhaps you can provide some data to what you mean and how it helps your case.

Responding with "use a search engine" is not good enough, the burden of proof is on you and if you make a claim you are the one who has to provide the evidence for it (especially if you claim such data exists and supports you).

Ryan_m_b said:
You are completely missing the point, again. Unless you've looked at this evidence how do you know it will back you up? You stated:

I asked you what this evidence was after pointing out there is none. You've stated that by looking at population density and smoking demographics that we can get a rough idea (btw as standards of evidence goes that's mildly better than anecdotal and shouldn't be treated as anything more than that. It's not even anywhere close to a preliminary study and certainly nothing of strong enough note to start creating policy over unless you want all policy decisions to be so ill informed) but you admit you haven't looked so you are just assuming that it will back you up based on...?

It will not give you a reasonable amount of data to base policy on. Population distribution is based on where people live, not how close they get to each other. You keep saying infrastructual properties so perhaps you can provide some data to what you mean and how it helps your case.

Responding with "use a search engine" is not good enough, the burden of proof is on you and if you make a claim you are the one who has to provide the evidence for it (especially if you claim such data exists and supports you).

"but you admit you haven't looked so you are just assuming that it will back you up based on...? "

When did I do so?

"It will not give you a reasonable amount of data to base policy on. Population distribution is based on where people live, not how close they get to each other."

The said population distribution maps are enough to make some inferences on the people's proximity to one another, provided that they're combined with the infrastructural properties of the area in question.
If, say, oral cyanide toxicity studies up to date have only looked at the cyanide administered via a capsule method, we can still make inferences on the oral cyanide toxicity for other administration cases.

"the burden of proof is on you and if you make a claim you are the one who has to provide the evidence for it"

I've fulfilled my burden of proof by providing the evidence type and addresses. Obviously, I can't post ~millions of links to the detailed infrastructural and population statistics; the best I can do is give the general direction and type of the evidence in question.

I will even try to fulfill my burden of proof more for the city of New York, for example:
http://andyarthur.org/data/maps/0/0/7/8/5/map_007858_large.png
nyc-population-map-1024x498.jpg

Source: allenschool.edu

Infrastructural information:
New York at Google Maps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cinitiator said:
When did I do so?
Are you saying you have?
Cinitiator said:
The said population distribution maps are enough to make some inferences on the people's proximity to one another, provided that they're combined with the infrastructural properties of the area in question.
Demonstrate this then. Population density can tell you how many people live in a square kilometre. That does not tell you how close in proximity they actually are nor how long they will be around someone who is smoking. Again: where is this data you keep mentioning of "infrastructural properties" that will show the concentration of people along with number of smokers?
Cinitiator said:
If, say, oral cyanide toxicity studies up to date have only looked at the cyanide administered via a capsule method, we can still make inferences on the oral cyanide toxicity for other administration cases.
That is totally non-comparable. Bioavailablity is a well studied pharmaceutical field, it's relatively easy to convert oral ingestion to something else like intravenous. That situation has no bearings on this one which is looking into whether or not most people are exposed to second hand smoke outside for significant periods of time.
Cinitiator said:
I've fulfilled my burden of proof by providing the evidence type and addresses. Obviously, I can't post ~millions of links to the detailed infrastructural and population statistics; the best I can do is give the general direction and type of the evidence in question.
No you really haven't. Firstly because what you claim will support you arguably won't for the reasons I've listed and secondly because simply saying "this will support me" is no substitute for providing citations to research and data that support your claim.
Cinitiator said:
I will even try to fulfill my burden of proof more for the city of New York, for example:
Infrastructural information:
New York at Google Maps.
That does absolutely nothing to help you. As I've pointed out population density will not give you any indication as to whether or not the average person is in close proximity to an outdoor smoker for a significant period of time on an average day. And google maps? Are you trolling or something? A map of New York is not data on infrastructure use! What you need to provide is data that shows how many people are in particular areas for a significant time around smokers.

If you had data that suggested that there were places in New York that regularly become congested with people who visit regularly (e.g. a major intersection) and wherein outdoor smoking was common to the point that we can deduce that people visiting said places will be exposed to significant levels of outdoor second hand smoke then you might finally have some firm data to support a no-smoking zone in that area. I'd happily support one if that was the case. But you don't have anything like that.

"As I've pointed out population density will not give you any indication as to whether or not the average person is in close proximity to an outdoor smoker for a significant period of time on an average day."

It does, along with the infrastructural properties. This is the exact point of our disagreement, so I think we should focus on it. Even though it doesn't give a highly credible prediction, it does give a prediction of a weak credibility.

As Ryan is saying though, weak credibility is not what you base public policy on. It would give you preliminary data (maybe... if you formalized it better and did more research on the smoking demographics) to apply for a grant to actually do the research and ask the question. But it's not the answer. It's just motivation for the question. It's just saying, "this might be worth looking into."

Pythagorean said:
As Ryan is saying though, weak credibility is not what you base public policy on. It would give you preliminary data (maybe... if your formalized it better and did more research on the smoking demographics) to apply for a grant to actually do the research and ask the question. But it's not the answer.

Risk is a second factor of public policy making. Risk couples with evidence credibility to provide us with a decision on the public policy taking. If the credibility is low to moderate but the risk is very high, then the policy should be implemented, but further research is required, which would change our view on the issue by changing the evidence credibility variable.

AlephZero said:
You should, unless you don't care about paying more for your medical insurance to cover part of their higher treatment costs.
Well when you put it that way...:biggrin:

Cinitiator said:
It does, along with the infrastructural properties. This is the exact point of our disagreement, so I think we should focus on it. Even though it doesn't give a highly credible prediction, it does give a prediction of a weak credibility.
Firstly you haven't actually done this though have you? You don't have anything like I've posted above with regards to how congested various public spaces get on a regular basis along with estimated smoking habits? You've talked about it but you don't have any data.

If you did it would be as Pythagorean says, you'd have some weak preliminary data that suggests that further study might be warranted. Whilst weak is better than nothing it's not good enough to start doing anything about.

Back