Should Churches Be Taxed? The Debate on Tax Exemptions and Reinvestment

• News
  • Thread starter Cinitiator
  • Start date
In summary: There should be a maximum tax rate beyond which non-profit organizations can't be taxed (ex: 30%). Only a part of the churches' revenues goes to charitable causes. The rest goes on socially useless causes, such as religious missionary programs, religious activism, church property accumulation, etc.
Cinitiator
In my opinion, the church shouldn't be subject to any tax exemptions at all. It should be taxed, and the taxes should be reinvested on noble causes, such as health care, education, scientific and technological development, resource and environmental protection, housing security and food security, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cinitiator said:
In my opinion, the church shouldn't be subject to any tax exemptions at all. It should be taxed, and the taxes should be reinvested on noble causes, such as health care, education, scientific and technological development, resource and environmental protection, housing security and food security, etc.
Should all non-profit and/or charitable organizations be taxed?

Churches have traditional provided social services. Their funding comes from the membership, although some churches do own commercial property that generates revenue.

Astronuc said:

Churches have traditional provided social services. Their funding comes from the membership, although some churches do own commercial property that generates revenue.

"Should all non-profit and/or charitable organizations be taxed?"

Depends on their utility/revenue values, although there should be a maximum tax rate beyond which non-profit organizations can't be taxed (ex: 30%). Only a part of the churches' revenues goes to charitable causes. The rest goes on socially useless causes, such as religious missionary programs, religious activism, church property accumulation, etc.

The degree of social usefulness can be determined by having an expert council vote on it.

Astronuc said:
Non-profit yes (to some extent) and I agree that religious institutions should not be taxed on their charitable programs but I don't see why tax exemption should apply across the board when ultimately they are not charities and qualifying for religious tax exemption is largely arbitrary e.g. Scientology not being classed as a tax exempt religion in many countries.

Last edited:
Cinitiator said:
The degree of social usefulness can be determined by having an expert council vote on it.

Why an expert council? When it comes to charity why not just let people vote with their wallets? I certainly would much rather give to specific charities than let the government be the sole decider on what is a socially worthy cause.

DavidSnider said:
Why an expert council? When it comes to charity why not just let people vote with their wallets? I certainly would much rather give to specific charities than let the government be the sole decider on what is a socially worthy cause.
How do you vote with your wallet for what is a charity? Charitable status in [strike]the UK[/strike] England and Wales at least is awarded by the charity commission which is an arm of the government. Therefore the government is responsible for deciding on what constitutes a charity but ultimately they are accountable to the people.

That's not to say I agree with Cinitiator that there should be an expert council that has to vote on each charity but that there has to be an agreed upon set of requirements for an organisation to register as a charity with a good amount of accountability all the way through.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:

The Roman Catholic Church owns about 1/2 of the property in the largest city in this area. They generate lots of income, but pay no taxes, so the burden of providing security, fire protection and other services falls on others. Not fair, and the situation (IMO) is hampering economic growth, since some pretty profitable business have been established and expanded over the years to surrounding towns with fairer tax burdens.

I am a spiritual person but non-denominational. I was raised in the Catholic church, until I was old enough to rebel and kick the traces. Even back 50 years ago, it was quite obvious that the church was a highly profitable global business. I'd like to see all organizations pay taxes on their profits. If they do charitable work, we can exempt those expenditures from taxation.

Incorporating as a "church" should not absolve one from taxation - just look at the explosion of mega-churches in the last couple of decades. Lots of money coming in tax-free, to the detriment of all taxpayers.

Basic oversight doesn't seem to be the intent of the OP. He's saying he finds things like 'missionary programs' as socially useless and that the funds should be siphoned off to the government for things he does find valuable.

DavidSnider said:
Basic oversight doesn't seem to be the intent of the OP. He's saying he finds things like 'missionary programs' as socially useless and that the funds should be siphoned off to the government for things he does find valuable.
The ministry of service that missionaries partake in is often charitable and so should be tax exempt however they also come with an evangelical side which should not be. How one could work out what goes on what and what's fair I'm not sure but I don't think that efforts to gain converts for a religion should count as a service to society or charitable action in a secular nation.

When I was a little kid (maybe 10), my great-aunt told me some pretty heady stuff about the RCC. I had mentioned that our church had hosted some African missionaries and collected money for that cause. Aunt Dora said that the church sent the missionaries begging to us because we Mainers were only marginally better-off than Africans. She saw my incomprehension, and explained that when the church wanted money from the Hartford area, they sent in speakers that claimed that churches in Maine needed furnace repairs and new roofs. A very sharp old lady.

Maybe things are different in the UK, but in the US 'spreading the gospel' is seen as a worthy social cause in itself. That's why I'd rather not have politicians playing favorites with charities.

DavidSnider said:
Maybe things are different in the UK, but in the US 'spreading the gospel' is seen as a worthy social cause in itself. That's why I'd rather not have politicians playing favorites with charities.

Should spreading astrology, 2012 millenarianism, Nibiru cataclysm, and other irrational and harmful beliefs be considered as worthy as well? Spreading anything which asses itself to be a fact without being a tautology or an empirical theory etc. is harmful, and shouldn't be considered worthy.

What makes you think the government is any better at weeding out harmful and irrational beliefs than a church?

The US government buys dowsing rods to detect bombs. Seriously.

There is a case for taxing the profit that churches make on business ventures. However, the money that is given voluntarily to churches is not taxed because of the first amendment. I think this is better left as it is.

DavidSnider said:
Seen as a worthy social cause by whom; the people, the government or both? How would you award tax exempt status without governments being involved?

Cinitiator said:

No, but I also don't think tithing should be tax deductible. The government should pretend as though religion does not exist.

Ryan_m_b said:
Seen as a worthy social cause by whom; the people, the government or both? How would you award tax exempt status without governments being involved?

Both the people and the government. (The government being made up by the people...)

Again, I'm not talking about simply granting tax exempt status.

The government has more than enough channels to raise revenues already. Why complicate charities which are one of the most effective forms of direct democracy?

No, I do not think churches should be taxed.

My problem is that churches don't have to abide by the same filing requirements that other charities do.

From http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Churches-&-Religious-Organizations/Filing-Requirements
Filing Requirements (bolding mine)
Generally, tax-exempt organizations must file an annual information return ( Form 990 or Form 990-EZ). Tax-exempt organizations that have annual gross receipts not normally in excess of $25,000 ($50,000 for tax years ending on or after December 31, 2010) are not required to file the annual information return; they may be required to file an annual electronic notice, however. In addition, churches and certain church-affiliated organizations are excepted from filing.
So, where other non-profit organizations have to file taxes to prove they meet the requirements of being a non-profit, churches are exempt. Additionally, church ministers don't have to pay taxes on their incomes unlike any other non-profit organization.

To me, this shows undue favoritism to religious organizations over non-religious organizations.

Treat churches just like any other non-profit organization.

DavidSnider said:
Both the people and the government. (The government being made up by the people...)

Again, I'm not talking about simply granting tax exempt status.

The government has more than enough channels to raise revenues already. Why complicate charities which are one of the most effective forms of direct democracy?
I don't see that this has much to do with direct democracy since it's not a community voting on where community funds go but an individual deciding where an individual's funds can go within boundaries set by the community.

Personally I don't think that evangelism is deserved of tax exempt status, any charitable work a church does then fine make it tax deductible but not across the board exempt just because your organisation partakes in some charitable activity.

Some information on the governance of this in England and Wales for those interested:

This link outlines what tax exemption charities recieve.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/charities/guidance-notes/annex1/annex_i.htm

This link contains information on what aims an organisation must meet in order to be legally allowed to register as a charity.
http://www.charity-commission.gov.u...tials/Public_benefit/charitable_purposes.aspx

This link explains under what circumstances the advancement of religion can and cannot be considered a public benefit
http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Library/guidance/pbreligiontext.pdf

IMO the system now could be better as I don't believe that advancing a religion should count as a charitable aim at all however I acknowledge it's problematic because for an organisation to be counted as a charity it cannot have any aims that are not included in the list from the second link above. Perhaps an answer could be for religious organisations to set up, fund and run secular charities but that's a tenuous separation with room for abuse.

Jimmy Snyder said:
However, the money that is given voluntarily to churches is not taxed because of the first amendment. I think this is better left as it is.

This is a good point. Taxing churches effectively gives government control over religious expression.

DavidSnider said:
This is a good point. Taxing churches effectively gives government control over religious expression.
How exactly? IIRC under a certain amount transfer of money between private individuals for no return of goods or services constitutes a gift and is not taxable. It's not like you couldn't give money tax free to a religious institution if they were taxed.

DavidSnider said:
IMO, taxing churches puts the churches on the same footing as other profitable enterprises. Nothing wrong with that. If all religious organizations were taxed at the same rates as other corporations, it would give government no influence over religious expression.

Ryan_m_b said:
How exactly? IIRC under a certain amount transfer of money between private individuals for no return of goods or services constitutes a gift and is not taxable. It's not like you couldn't give money tax free to a religious institution if they were taxed.

Yes, but by having the government set the tax rate for a particular religious institution it would lead to a situation where the government is favoring one religion over another.

DavidSnider said:
Maybe things are different in the UK, but in the US 'spreading the gospel' is seen as a worthy social cause in itself.

In the UK, it might be seen as as worthy sociial cause by the tiny minority who do it, but not by anybody else IMO.

I get a few visits from JWs, but I've never tried asking them if they see themselves as a worthy social cause. Nobody else has even bothered to try to spread the gospel in my direction in the last 40 or 50 years.

DavidSnider said:
Yes, but by having the government set the tax rate for a particular religious institution it would lead to a situation where the government is favoring one religion over another.
Why would they set a different rate for different religious organisations?

Ryan_m_b said:
Why would they set a different rate for different religious organisations?

Why wouldn't they? They do with everything else.

Is it really hard to imagine that once you start going down that route that they'll start having "small minority owned religion" tax credits or whatever?

DavidSnider said:
Why wouldn't they? They do with everything else.

Is it really hard to imagine that once you start going down that route that they'll start having "small minority owned religion" tax credits or whatever?
That's not really favouring one religion over another though is it? It's setting up a system of taxation in which different sized organisations are taxed different amounts for different reasons and all religions are subject to that system. I don't see that as favouring in the manner in which we're discussing.

The implication here is that politicians might be able to choose a religion and give it special treatment (which they already do to some extent by being responsible for determining what constitutes a religion and what does not) which would apparently violate first amendment rights but that's not the same as a system in which taxation is applied differently to organisations of different sizes and characteristics.

The government adjusts tax policies all the time to encourage or discourage growth of certain industries. Why wouldn't they do the same thing to religions if they had the same sort of power over them?

DavidSnider said:
The government adjusts tax policies all the time to encourage or discourage growth of certain industries. Why wouldn't they do the same thing to religions if they had the same sort of power over them?
Because it would be illegal like you say or at least could be made so. Regulation of the economy is a very different thing and is a mandate of government.

Ryan_m_b said:
Regulation of the economy is a very different thing and is a mandate of government.

It's not a very different thing once you start treating religions as corporations.

DavidSnider said:
It's not a very different thing once you start treating religions as corporations.
They don't have to be treated like corporations unless they incorporate themselves. They're non-profit organisations.

Aren't you guys missing a fundamental problem here: That a non-profit would be non-taxable because by definition there is no profit to tax?

russ_watters said:
Aren't you guys missing a fundamental problem here: That a non-profit would be non-taxable because by definition there is no profit to tax?
As I understand it in the UK there is a difference in the tax-exemption between charities and non-profits. For example Value Added Tax is exempt on all charitable purchases which a non-profit may benefit from but not necessarily.

Last edited:
<h2>1. What are the arguments for and against taxing churches?</h2><p>Proponents of taxing churches argue that religious organizations should be treated like any other business and should contribute their fair share of taxes to the government. They also argue that tax exemptions for churches can lead to unfair competition with other businesses. On the other hand, opponents argue that churches provide valuable services to the community and taxing them would hinder their ability to carry out their religious and charitable missions.</p><h2>2. How much revenue could be generated if churches were taxed?</h2><p>The exact amount of revenue that could be generated from taxing churches is difficult to determine as it would depend on the tax rate and the number of churches in a given area. However, a study by the Secular Policy Institute estimated that taxing churches in the United States could generate up to $71 billion in annual revenue.</p><h2>3. Are all churches exempt from taxes?</h2><p>No, not all churches are exempt from taxes. In order to qualify for tax exemption, a church must meet certain criteria set by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). This includes being organized and operated exclusively for religious, educational, or charitable purposes, and not engaging in excessive political lobbying or activities.</p><h2>4. How are tax-exempt churches required to use their funds?</h2><p>Tax-exempt churches are required to use their funds for religious, educational, and charitable purposes. This means that they cannot use their funds for personal gain or political activities. However, there is no specific requirement for how much money must be reinvested into the community.</p><h2>5. What is the historical background of tax exemptions for churches?</h2><p>The concept of tax exemptions for churches dates back to ancient civilizations, where religious institutions were considered to be separate from the state and therefore exempt from taxes. In the United States, churches have been exempt from federal income taxes since the adoption of the Constitution in 1787. However, the debate over whether or not to tax churches has been ongoing, with various court cases and legislative actions shaping the current laws and regulations surrounding tax exemptions for churches.</p>

1. What are the arguments for and against taxing churches?

Proponents of taxing churches argue that religious organizations should be treated like any other business and should contribute their fair share of taxes to the government. They also argue that tax exemptions for churches can lead to unfair competition with other businesses. On the other hand, opponents argue that churches provide valuable services to the community and taxing them would hinder their ability to carry out their religious and charitable missions.

2. How much revenue could be generated if churches were taxed?

The exact amount of revenue that could be generated from taxing churches is difficult to determine as it would depend on the tax rate and the number of churches in a given area. However, a study by the Secular Policy Institute estimated that taxing churches in the United States could generate up to $71 billion in annual revenue.

3. Are all churches exempt from taxes?

No, not all churches are exempt from taxes. In order to qualify for tax exemption, a church must meet certain criteria set by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). This includes being organized and operated exclusively for religious, educational, or charitable purposes, and not engaging in excessive political lobbying or activities.

4. How are tax-exempt churches required to use their funds?

Tax-exempt churches are required to use their funds for religious, educational, and charitable purposes. This means that they cannot use their funds for personal gain or political activities. However, there is no specific requirement for how much money must be reinvested into the community.

5. What is the historical background of tax exemptions for churches?

The concept of tax exemptions for churches dates back to ancient civilizations, where religious institutions were considered to be separate from the state and therefore exempt from taxes. In the United States, churches have been exempt from federal income taxes since the adoption of the Constitution in 1787. However, the debate over whether or not to tax churches has been ongoing, with various court cases and legislative actions shaping the current laws and regulations surrounding tax exemptions for churches.