Should the name of the forum change?

In summary, the forum's name should be changed to "Strings and Quantum Gravity". Branes and strings are always associated, and LQG is not the only alternative to QG anymore. Indeed, it seems to me that the alternatives are multiplying each day... Don't you think so?
Alamino
I´ve been thinking if it wouldn´t be more appropriate to change the name of the forum from "Strings, branes & LQG" simply to "Strings and Quantum Gravity". Branes aand strings are always associated and LQG is not the only alternative to QG anymore. Indeed, it seems to me that the alternatives are multiplicating each day... Don´t you think so? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Alamino said:
I´ve been thinking if it wouldn´t be more appropriate to change the name of the forum from "Strings, branes & LQG" simply to "Strings and Quantum Gravity". Branes aand strings are always associated and LQG is not the only alternative to QG anymore. Indeed, it seems to me that the alternatives are multiplicating each day... Don´t you think so? :confused:

your suggested name change "Strings and Quantum Gravity" makes a lot of sense! sounds good too, short and to the point. I hope the management considers it!

About your question, if QG approaches are multiplying rapidly? I don't know, because it seems to me there were about the same number back in 1997 or 1998 when Rovelli did a survey. Since then, some faded out of fashion, while others came in.

Some merge, while others divide like an amoeba. I find it hard to say just how many distinct QG approaches there are, or if they really are growing in number.

it would be great if Group Fields (spinfoam) would merge with CDT would merge with Reuter's QEG----if they would all coallesce into one nonperturbative Approach. How nice that would be!

Alamino, in case you are interested here is that 1998 survey by rovelli

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9803024
Abstract:"...I review the present theoretical attempts to understand the quantum properties of spacetime. In particular, I illustrate the main achievements and the main difficulties in: string theory, loop quantum gravity, discrete quantum gravity (Regge calculus, dynamical triangulations and simplicial models), Euclidean quantum gravity, perturbative quantum gravity, quantum field theory on curved spacetime, noncommutative geometry, null surfaces, topological quantum field theories and spin foam models..."

so they had a confusing proliferation back then too :smile:

maybe the situation has even gotten simpler since then!

I really believe that all these approaches will converge someday when we start to get close to the QG that is used by nature in our universe. At least, I hope so. But after a long time being told that Strings were the only approach that deserved credit, I'm happy to see that it's not quite so and there are a lot of other possibilities. Back when I just knew about strings, I had that feeling that we were so far from QG that I started to lose interest in that. But now, things are becoming more exciting each time I see a new paper!

BTW, thanks for the tip of the paper, Marcus. I will read it.

1. Should the name of the forum be changed?

This is a commonly asked question, and the answer depends on the specific forum in question. If the current name no longer accurately reflects the purpose or topics of the forum, then a name change may be necessary. However, if the current name is well-established and recognized by users, a name change may cause confusion and should be carefully considered.

2. What are some reasons to change the name of a forum?

There are several reasons why a forum may need to change its name. For example, if the forum has expanded to cover new topics or if the current name is no longer relevant to the discussions taking place. Additionally, a name change may be necessary if the current name is offensive or exclusionary to certain groups of people.

3. How do you determine if a name change is necessary?

The decision to change the name of a forum should be made after careful consideration and research. This may involve gathering feedback from current users, conducting surveys, and analyzing the forum's purpose and topics. It's important to also consider the potential impact of a name change on the forum's community and reputation.

4. What is the process for changing the name of a forum?

The process for changing the name of a forum will vary depending on the platform or website hosting the forum. In most cases, the forum administrators or moderators will have the ability to change the name through the forum's settings or by contacting the website's support team. It's important to communicate the name change to users and provide a clear explanation for the change.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to changing the name of a forum?

While a name change may be necessary or beneficial for a forum, there are potential drawbacks to consider. These may include confusion among users, loss of recognition and search engine rankings, and potential pushback from the forum's community. It's important to carefully weigh the pros and cons before making a decision to change the name of a forum.