Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should this cop get more than just a suspension?

1. May 16, 2013 #1

Borg

Gold Member

I really wanted to give this a title of "The sun was in my eyes".
    That's about as truthful as the officer's other claims. First he claimed that his gun discharged when the teen struggled with him. That is, until this video came out a few weeks later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF-UatpD44k

Later, he claimed that he didn't realize that he had his weapon in his hand.
    Today he was found not guilty of all assault charges by a judge.

I have the highest respect for law enforcement officers but people like this shouldn't have a badge.

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2013 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Hmmm... I just received another infraction for suggesting what I thought should be done to someone like that, so I'll hold my true opinion in this case. It's obvious from the video that he assaulted the guy with a weapon, but using the gun as a club. What happened off-camera when the gun discharged is unknown. At the very least, he should be criminally prosecuted for the assault and put on unpaid leave from the force.

4. May 17, 2013 #3
    Not a very common sense way to deal with the public by whacking someone unexpectedly with your gun, especially pulling the trigger as you are doing it. A police officer loosing the control of his own emotions and using excessive force such as this one did, could likely end up to not be considered by other officers as being a reliable partner, since they will never be certain of how he will react in a situation. A partnered police officer with this guy will never be sure that a discharge such as in the video will have ( or not) the gun barrel pointing in his own direction.
    So while he is exonerated from assault, his carreer as a police officer just may have been stagnated by his own choice of method to apprehend an the individual.

By the way we do not see the reason for the apprehension. What type of an altercation was behind all this not seen on the video that led up to the scene in question.

5. May 17, 2013 #4
    I think that Shaft wannabe needs to be in jail. Not only for hitting the guy with the gun, but for negligence for firing it, and for lying about what happened.

Problem is cops have a get out of jail free card for almost anything they do.

Cops should be getting punished MORE severely for their crimes, but instead they get punished less, or not at all, and a lot of the time they get to keep their job. It makes no sense.

6. May 18, 2013 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Keeping the job definitely makes no sense. As for the punishment... if TV can be believed in any way, apparently cops in the US don't last long in prison. Incarcerating them is essentially a death sentence, so the system is reluctant to do so. I don't know whether or not that's true, but it's the impression that we get from the media.
    Events like this are so rare here in Canada that they are national headline news and subject to intense scrutiny by both the system and the public. Just a couple of days ago, an officer in Calgary made the decision to shoot a fleeing jerk who had just, while trying to escape arrest, run into an elderly couple with a car, then backed over the woman again to escape. Even though he clearly did the right thing, he is on 30 days of administrative leave (standard practice) and the provincial investigative body (sort of like the rat squad in the US) is poring over the case (also standard practice). Nobody faults him for what he did, but no stone is left unturned to be certain.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  7. May 18, 2013 #6
    So if they do something worthy of prison, we shouldn't send them to prison simply because it's dangerous for them there? That's not a good excuse. That should just be more reason for them to stay straight and do the right thing.
    Besides, they have protective custody in prisons.

8. May 18, 2013 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I didn't say that I agree with it, merely that it appears to an outsider to be the case. Don't shoot the messenger.

9. May 18, 2013 #8
    I'm always baffled by such instances by law enforcement. If it was anyone else, other than law enforcement, would you go to jail?

10. May 19, 2013 #9

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

11. May 19, 2013 #10

MarneMath

Education Advisor

12. May 19, 2013 #11
    .... to jail. Depends if you are convicted of a crime. You would most likely be in front of a judge explaining the reasons for your action of whacking someone, why you had a loaded gun in hand, etc.

A police officer does not normally need to explain any of that except the usage excessive force, the use and firing of a gun ( standard paperwork when pulling out a gun from its holster ) in the apprehension of an individual ( perhaps a few others ). There is a big difference between a police officer's actions when on on active duty ( and sometimes off duty if the case may warrant ) and a private citizen. Private citizens are obligated to follow the commands of a police officer even when they may seem unreasonable ( to you ). ( In contrast, no body has to do what you say ). Failure to follow the directions of an officer may result in your apprehension if he/she feels you are interferring in their duty. Even if you are adamant that you did nothing wrong then you can tell that to a judge.

13. May 22, 2013 #12
    Its tough out there, sometimes cops just lose it. I suppose if you play nice, they will be nice?

14. May 23, 2013 #13

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Whenever I hear about these things, I always come to two conflicting conclusions:

1) Often, these situations (an outburst of frustration manifesting as violence) come from the inability of a law enforcement officer to enforce the law (i.e. through loop-holes or technicalities). So I conclude that we need to give law enforcement officers more freedom to act early before situations get tense and ugly. (The previous discussion about the legal BAC limit in drivers, for example. The law should be about unsafe driving practices because that's the problem, not the amount of alcohol in your blood; give the traffic officer leeway to arrest for poor/unsafe driving... not just BAC.)

2) This is why citizens need to arm themselves. We live under the thumb of a government which openly turns weapons against its people on personal whims.

15. May 23, 2013 #14
    Absolutely, in Ottawa I understand that for a police officer to even remove the gun from the holster requires detailed reporting, internally yet I imagine the administrative work required to draw the gun would be enough to...reach for the flashlight / mace / club / radio instead.

I don't know what happened outside what's seen in the video. So I assume the cop was "right" to use force to stop the suspect. Using a gun to stop a guy walking away and who acknowledges your presence is moronic as seen in the video proof.

There are better tools to use in this case, which is regardless of what happened prior to the video.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  16. May 25, 2013 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Somewhere back around 1980, one of my good friends (a couple of years before I knew him) was a city cop. A few months into the job, there came a situation where a psycho, who had just murdered someone, advanced upon him and his partner with an axe, despite all warnings. My friend could not bring himself to pull the trigger, so his partner had to kill the guy. Along with the incident report, he turned in his resignation. I don't think any the less of him for it (in fact, I admire his ethics), but I wouldn't want him to be in a police job. Certain things are expected of them that not many people are capable of. Unfortunately, some are a bit too eager or power-mad.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  17. May 25, 2013 #16
    But then they have to find a way to keep the police safe while in prison

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook