Should we Colonize the Moon or Mars first?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the potential colonization of either Mars or the moon. Some argue that it would be easier and more beneficial to colonize Earth's deserts, ice caps, and other uninhabitable areas while maintaining the biosphere. Others discuss the potential for using the moon as a base for resources and missions to Mars, as well as the potential challenges of long-term microgravity on the human body. Ultimately, the conversation ends with a request for peer-reviewed scientific papers on the topic.
William Clark
I have reasons that have convinced me that Mars would be better, but I want to know what everybody else thinks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why colonize either at this moment in history? Or do you mean in a few centuries?

Likes russ_watters and Ryan_m_b
William Clark said:
I have reasons that have convinced me that Mars would be better, but I want to know what everybody else thinks.
Why? And please post peer reviewed scientific published papers only as your sources.

And please, no one jumping in with personal opinions.

Likes Ryan_m_b and berkeman
It would be vastly easier and more beneficial to colonise Earth more. The deserts, the ice caps, the ocean surfaces and floors, the mountains, the tundra and even underground. Figure out how to do all that whilst maintaining the biosphere and you might have some spin off technologies that would help space enthusiasts go and live elsewhere.

Likes Czcibor and billy_joule
William Clark said:
I see no reason why we would colonize either, as we understand the meaning of the word. Will we ever establish a long-term/permanent base for the purpose of scientific research, or providing mission resources, on either the moon or Mars, or both? Probably. Will we ever send settlers to the moon or Mars to establish political control, a.k.a. "colonize?" Not in the foreseeable future.

NASA is already considering using the moon to generate fuel and predeploy those, and other resources, for missions to Mars and other destinations.

In-Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU) Capability Roadmap - Sanders et. al., NASA Executive Summary (2005) [PDF]

I'm not sure we have enough data to answer the question.

The human body suffers some serious problems in long term microgravity. We don't know what effects simply low gravity will have or how we could resolve them. It might be that low gravity combined with proper exercise (possibly under artificial gravity) would solve these issues, but we just don't know what level of low gravity is healthy. It may be that either or both are available for colonization. Or not.

Logically, I think we'd have to set up some kind of forward base on the moon before we could maintain any kind of consistent transport of supply to mars.

phion said:
Logically, I think we'd have to set up some kind of forward base on the moon before we could maintain any kind of consistent transport of supply to mars.

Agreed. The moon is much easier to take off from and return to Earth. If there was a disaster on a moon base the scientists and other staff cod get back to the safety of Earth within days.

phion said:

Why is that? Don’t you think we’d have to get the supplies out of Earth’s gravity well first in either case? Then we are going to have to re-launch them from the moon?

DiracPool said:
Why is that? Don’t you think we’d have to get the supplies out of Earth’s gravity well first in either case? Then we are going to have to re-launch them from the moon?

For goods made on Earth, that is true. But most of the goods (by mass anyway) might be made on the moon. Fuel, water, and radiation shielding could all be made on the moon. Possibly carbon and other biologicals could allow hydroponics inputs as well.

They could be placed into orbit with some sort of quasi-reactionless drive cheaply due to the lower gravity and lack of atmosphere.

DiracPool said:
Actually, fuel, oxygen, water, and other resources can be produced on the moon and supplied to a spacecraft in space at a fraction of the cost it would cost to launch the same resources from Earth. That would also reduce the costs of launching from Earth as well, since those resources will not have be launched from Earth.

Any way do someone know what experts think between moon or Mars for colonizing?

It's an MIT study, close enough. I also allowed the NASA paper.

It's not what you asked for:

Evo said:
Why? And please post peer reviewed scientific published papers only as your sources.

micromass said:
It's not what you asked for:
See my reply above, in GD, if the papers are from valid, known sources, I'll allow them, I just don't want any mass media or pop-sci stuff.

Then I would like you to post the original source instead of an article saying what the source says.

micromass said:
Then I would like you to post the original source instead of an article saying what the source says.
Shall I delete the NASA paper also since it's posted on a blog?

No, because that is the original paper. I do not find the original paper anywhere in your source.

Thank you very much!

micromass said:
Thank you very much!
You're very welcome, I should have posted the original study, but didn't since it was GD and the article was from a good source, anyway members always have the right to request the original source.

Evo said:
You're very welcome, I should have posted the original study, but didn't since it was GD and the article was from a good source, anyway members always have the right to request the original source.
I think an article from a credible journalistic source, which reports a scientific study, and in the case of MIT, it is likely reviewed before publishing, is reasonable.

Human space exploration is a highly subjective matter. Certainly one can have serious discussions on the science and technology, but the wheres and whyfors, can be highly subjective, and even speculative, since no one has done it yet.

I was part of a group of grad students who looked at propulsion systems for missions to Mars about 30 years ago. Part of the group looked a nuclear power systems for power plants on Mars.

Returning to the moon with a manned based would be very costly - in the $10's of billions, and a mission to Mars in the $100's of billions. There are some critical considerations with respect to infrastructure, particularly sustainable infrastructure.

What was proposed at the time was the Moon first, then mining lunar materials to send to Mars, because the energy requirements to lift a given mass from the moon is a lot less than lifting it from earth. However, that requires considerable infrastructure to be delivered from the Earth to the moon first, although one might devise a robotic based mining and manufacturing system for the moon, which would build infrastructure on the moon and later send material to mars.

There were several Mars mission scenarios. One I liked was sending a Skylab (or larger scale) system to Martian orbit first, so that a smaller (less massive) manned craft could make a faster transit to Mars, and dock with the Martian station. Another scenario had a station built in Phobos or Deimos. Basically, there needs to be a shielded habitat with supplies in space that can support astronauts before a Martian surface base is established.

Another big challenge is the lack of atmosphere on Mars, because one can't use aerobraking.

Anyway, the Lunar Planetary Institute.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/leag/

http://mepag.jpl.nasa.gov/

Last edited:
Likes |Glitch| and zoobyshoe

What are the benefits of colonizing the Moon or Mars?

The main benefit of colonizing the Moon or Mars is the potential for scientific advancement. Both celestial bodies have unique environments and resources that can be studied and utilized for further exploration and understanding of our universe. Additionally, colonizing either the Moon or Mars could serve as a backup plan for humanity in case of a disaster on Earth.

Which one is more feasible to colonize, the Moon or Mars?

In terms of feasibility, colonizing the Moon is generally seen as more achievable in the near future. This is because the Moon is closer to Earth and we have already sent multiple missions there, giving us more information and knowledge about its environment. However, with advancements in technology and further research, colonizing Mars may become more feasible in the future.

What are the potential challenges of colonizing the Moon or Mars?

One of the main challenges of colonizing the Moon or Mars is the harsh environment. Both have extreme temperatures, lack of breathable air, and high levels of radiation. This would require advanced technology and resources to create habitable and sustainable living conditions. Additionally, the distance from Earth could pose challenges for communication, resupply missions, and emergency situations.

How would colonizing the Moon or Mars impact the environment?

Colonizing the Moon or Mars would have a minimal impact on their environments, as they are not currently inhabited by any life forms. However, any human activity and potential terraforming on these celestial bodies could alter their ecosystems and geological processes. It is important to consider the potential consequences and carefully plan any colonization efforts to minimize negative impacts.

Which one should we colonize first, the Moon or Mars?

There is no clear answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on the goals and priorities of the colonization efforts. Some argue that the Moon should be colonized first because of its proximity and potential for scientific research, while others believe that Mars should be the priority due to its potential for long-term sustainability. Ultimately, both the Moon and Mars offer unique opportunities for exploration and advancement, and it may be beneficial to pursue colonization efforts on both simultaneously.