Should You Always Smile When Alone?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary: Fine, up to a constant or 2".In summary, the conversation discusses the social expectation to smile and greet strangers while walking down the street. Some argue that it is a function of geography and age, while others believe it is a personal choice. There is also a discussion about the appropriateness of smiling in all situations and the idea that strangers should not dictate one's mood. Personal experiences and opinions are shared, with some feeling it is rude to tell someone to smile and others taking it as an attempt to engage the opposite sex. Overall, it is concluded that smiling and greeting strangers is a cultural and personal decision.
Something about having dimples when you are young- people keep asking to see them, and the state sort of stuck, but less so now.

Physics news on Phys.org
fuzzyfelt said:
Something about having dimples when you are young- people keep asking to see them, and the state sort of stuck, but less so now.
Doesn't always work. I flashed my dimples once, at the beach. Caused a stampede of mothers snatching up their children. Almost landed me in jail.

Nice, Dave! I see I had been ambiguous, and to clarify, I was meaning the facial variety of dimples.:smile:

jimmysnyder said:
Whenever I see a baby or toddler, I always smile at it.

My usual reaction is to stick my tongue out at them or make funny faces. I don't know why, but they usually respond to it better than a smile.

Kids are usually less jaded than their parents, but it depends on what stage they're at as to whether I act formal, silly or just friendly. I haven't tried the tongue greeting lately.:tongue:

jimmysnyder said:
Whenever I see a baby or toddler, I always smile at it. I think that's a natural human response. Anyway it's one of the few times I smile. Like W.C. Fields, I start my day with a smile and get it over with.
'
That's too funny, I was quoting W C Fields to someone just this morning.

"Do you like children?" and Fields responds, "I do if they're properly cooked."

Madam, there's no such thing as a tough child— if you parboil them first for seven hours, they always come out tender.
Got to love this guy.

Ok, I can just feel the people responding to this. It was W C Fields, not me.

Loren Booda said:
I haven't tried the tongue greeting lately.
Tongue-greeting...

You want to meet for coffee? :!)

Nah, mine's been burned often enough.

Only if they initiate the smile do I smile back.

I usually say hi or nod my head to bicyclists/joggers.

And if I'm driving and I see (for example) a nice corvette, I'll usually put a thumb up or nod.

At work, it's hi and how are you every 5 minutes, and I've made different greetings for different people.

I'll call one of my bosses Dr. Paul or Lord Paul. We have a Vietnamese person named Hao working there so I always ask her "Hao-how are you" or "How squared are you".

I tend to have the biased viewpoint that people in So-cal are fairly outgoing and will in the very least scrunch their lips or nod at you and at the very most will say "Beautiful day today huh?"

<h2>1. Should I always smile when I am alone?</h2><p>It is not necessary to always smile when you are alone. Smiling is a natural expression of happiness, but it is also okay to experience other emotions when you are by yourself.</p><h2>2. What are the benefits of smiling when alone?</h2><p>Smiling can release endorphins and improve your mood, even when you are alone. It can also help reduce stress and anxiety.</p><h2>3. Is it weird to smile when I am alone?</h2><p>No, it is not weird to smile when you are alone. Smiling is a natural human expression and can be a way to show self-love and positivity.</p><h2>4. Can smiling when alone improve my mental health?</h2><p>Yes, smiling when alone can have a positive impact on your mental health. It can help boost your mood and reduce negative thoughts and feelings.</p><h2>5. How can I remind myself to smile when I am alone?</h2><p>You can set reminders for yourself, practice gratitude, or engage in activities that make you happy to help remind yourself to smile when you are alone.</p>

1. Should I always smile when I am alone?

It is not necessary to always smile when you are alone. Smiling is a natural expression of happiness, but it is also okay to experience other emotions when you are by yourself.

2. What are the benefits of smiling when alone?

Smiling can release endorphins and improve your mood, even when you are alone. It can also help reduce stress and anxiety.

3. Is it weird to smile when I am alone?

No, it is not weird to smile when you are alone. Smiling is a natural human expression and can be a way to show self-love and positivity.

4. Can smiling when alone improve my mental health?

Yes, smiling when alone can have a positive impact on your mental health. It can help boost your mood and reduce negative thoughts and feelings.

5. How can I remind myself to smile when I am alone?

You can set reminders for yourself, practice gratitude, or engage in activities that make you happy to help remind yourself to smile when you are alone.