1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shouldn't be a tough problem to solve

1. Aug 23, 2004 #1
    I just had my first college physics class today, and already I'm stuck on the first problem. I already had physics in HS and I expected I wouldn't have that much trouble in college. So here is a question that I have no clue how to answer.

A crystalline solid consists of atoms stacked up in a repeating lattice structure. Consider a crystal as shown in figure p1. The atoms reside at the corners of the cubes of side L = 0.200 nm. One piece of evidence for the regular arrangement of atoms comes from the flat surfaces along which a crystal separates, or cleaves, when it is broken. Suppose this crystal cleaves along a face diagonal as in p2. Calculate the spacing d between two adjacent atomic planes that separate when the crystal cleaves.

(the pictures are in 3d)

OOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOO
    l<-L->l \d\

OO OOOOOO
    OOO OOOOO
    OOOO OOOO

the answer is .141 nm

so if anyone would help me out with this i would greatly appreciate it

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2004 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, maybe my picture helps.

ehild

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  4. Aug 25, 2004 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, that picture is helpful.

5. Aug 25, 2004 #4
    Just use the Pythagorean theorem :cool:

6. Aug 25, 2004 #5
    Ya I had no clue how the pythagorean theorm was to be used when i read the problem. Thanks for the post and that nice diagram though. Doesn't seem tough any more. :cool:

7. Aug 26, 2004 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a pleasure ... :smile:

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?