Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Shouldn't be a tough problem to solve

1. Aug 23, 2004 #1
    I just had my first college physics class today, and already I'm stuck on the first problem. I already had physics in HS and I expected I wouldn't have that much trouble in college. So here is a question that I have no clue how to answer.

A crystalline solid consists of atoms stacked up in a repeating lattice structure. Consider a crystal as shown in figure p1. The atoms reside at the corners of the cubes of side L = 0.200 nm. One piece of evidence for the regular arrangement of atoms comes from the flat surfaces along which a crystal separates, or cleaves, when it is broken. Suppose this crystal cleaves along a face diagonal as in p2. Calculate the spacing d between two adjacent atomic planes that separate when the crystal cleaves.

(the pictures are in 3d)

OOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOO
    l<-L->l \d\

OO OOOOOO
    OOO OOOOO
    OOOO OOOO

the answer is .141 nm

so if anyone would help me out with this i would greatly appreciate it

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2004 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

Well, maybe my picture helps.

ehild

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  4. Aug 25, 2004 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, that picture is helpful.

5. Aug 25, 2004 #4
    Just use the Pythagorean theorem :cool:

6. Aug 25, 2004 #5
    Ya I had no clue how the pythagorean theorm was to be used when i read the problem. Thanks for the post and that nice diagram though. Doesn't seem tough any more. :cool:

7. Aug 26, 2004 #6

ehild

Homework Helper

It's a pleasure ... :smile:

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook