1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show 1.95<f(x)<2.05, limits

1. Sep 5, 2009 #1
    Generate the graph of f(x)=x^3-4x+5 with a graphing utility. And use the graph to find delta such that |f(x)-2|<.05 if 0<|x-1|<delta [Hint show that the inequality |f(x)-2| < .05 can be rewritten 1.95 < x^3-4x+5 < 2.05, then estimate the values of x for which f(x)=1.95 and f(x)=2.05]. Now I can do the graphing parts and I can correctly estimate the values of x, but I cannot do the "show that the inequality |f(x)-2|<.05 can be rewritten etc." Can anyone show me how to do it as I have started studying a University maths book on my own. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2009 #2
    |f(x) - L| < e means that f(x) is in (L - e, L + e) which means that L - e < f(x) < L + e. Also, I'm not sure why the text asks you to use a graphing utility since it's maybe instructive once or twice to see an epsilon-delta proof done with an explicit (numerical) epsilon to get a feel what is meant by "closeness" of f(x) to L or whatever.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook