How to Show f(x) is Close to L Using Epsilon-Delta Proof

• Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses using a graphing utility to generate the graph of f(x)=x^3-4x+5 and finding delta values to satisfy the inequality |f(x)-2|<.05. The hint suggests rewriting the inequality as 1.95 < x^3-4x+5 < 2.05 and estimating the values of x for which f(x)=1.95 and f(x)=2.05. The speaker also mentions studying a university math book on their own and asks for assistance with the proof. Ultimately, the conversation emphasizes the importance of understanding the concept of "closeness" in epsilon-delta proofs.
John O' Meara
Generate the graph of f(x)=x^3-4x+5 with a graphing utility. And use the graph to find delta such that |f(x)-2|<.05 if 0<|x-1|<delta [Hint show that the inequality |f(x)-2| < .05 can be rewritten 1.95 < x^3-4x+5 < 2.05, then estimate the values of x for which f(x)=1.95 and f(x)=2.05]. Now I can do the graphing parts and I can correctly estimate the values of x, but I cannot do the "show that the inequality |f(x)-2|<.05 can be rewritten etc." Can anyone show me how to do it as I have started studying a University maths book on my own. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
|f(x) - L| < e means that f(x) is in (L - e, L + e) which means that L - e < f(x) < L + e. Also, I'm not sure why the text asks you to use a graphing utility since it's maybe instructive once or twice to see an epsilon-delta proof done with an explicit (numerical) epsilon to get a feel what is meant by "closeness" of f(x) to L or whatever.

1. What is the significance of the given limit, 1.95

The given limit, 1.95

2. How is this limit different from a regular limit?

This limit, 1.95

3. Can this type of limit be evaluated using the traditional limit laws?

Yes, this type of limit can be evaluated using the traditional limit laws. The limit laws still apply as long as the given limit follows the rules of a regular limit.

4. How is this limit used in real-life applications?

This limit can be used in real-life applications to determine the range of possible values for a given function. This can be useful in fields such as statistics, physics, and engineering, where precise measurements and calculations are necessary.

5. Is it possible for a limit to exist even if the function is not continuous?

Yes, it is possible for a limit to exist even if the function is not continuous. A function can have a limit at a certain point even if it is not defined or has a different value at that point. However, a function must be continuous at a point for the limit to equal the value of the function at that point.