1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Show a limit = infinity

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show lim [tex]n^{1/2}[/tex]=[tex]\infty[/tex] using the definition of lim [tex]x_{n}[/tex]=[tex]\infty[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    We want to show [tex]\left|x^{1/2}-\infty\right|[/tex],[tex]\epsilon[/tex]. I get this far and i hit a blank.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, you can't use this [tex]|x^{1/2}-\infty|[/tex]. The definition for the limit of an unbounded function doesn't use infinity or epsilon. Do you know what that definition is?

4. Sep 28, 2010 #3
    Well, I was supposed to supply the definition of lim [tex]x_{n}[/tex]=[tex]\infty[/tex].

I guess I wasn't so sure on how to do that.

5. Sep 28, 2010 #4

Mark44

No, you're supposed to use the definition of [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n = \infty[/tex]. That's different.

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x) = \infty[/tex] is defined this way:
    [tex]\forall M \exists N > 0 \ni \forall x > N, f(x) > M[/tex]

In other words, no matter how large an M someone chooses, there is some number N so that if x > N, then f(x) > M. In other, other words, if you want to get a larger value for f(x), take a larger value for x.

The definition is similar for your sequence.

6. Sep 28, 2010 #5
    Sorry, I was just using what my book stated and the book didn't include that extra part.

7. Sep 29, 2010 #6

Mark44

Do you still have a question? I can't tell.

8. Sep 29, 2010 #7
    I guess my question is how to use the definition to prove the limit of my original sequence?

9. Sep 29, 2010 #8

Mark44

You work backward. Assuming for the moment that n1/2 > M, can you find some other number N so that when n > N, then n1/2 > M? That's basically what I said in post #4.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook