How to Show lim n^{1/2}=\infty using the Definition of lim x_{n}=\infty?

In summary, the author is trying to find a limit for a sequence, but isn't sure how to do it. He references a definition for the limit of an unbounded function, but is unsure of how to use it. He asks a question, but does not provide a clear answer.
kathrynag

Homework Statement

Show lim [tex]n^{1/2}[/tex]=[tex]\infty[/tex] using the definition of lim [tex]x_{n}[/tex]=[tex]\infty[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We want to show [tex]\left|x^{1/2}-\infty\right|[/tex],[tex]\epsilon[/tex]. I get this far and i hit a blank.

Physics news on Phys.org
kathrynag said:

Homework Statement

Show lim [tex]n^{1/2}[/tex]=[tex]\infty[/tex] using the definition of lim [tex]x_{n}[/tex]=[tex]\infty[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We want to show [tex]\left|x^{1/2}-\infty\right|[/tex],[tex]\epsilon[/tex]. I get this far and i hit a blank.
No, you can't use this [tex]|x^{1/2}-\infty|[/tex]. The definition for the limit of an unbounded function doesn't use infinity or epsilon. Do you know what that definition is?

Well, I was supposed to supply the definition of lim [tex]x_{n}[/tex]=[tex]\infty[/tex].

I guess I wasn't so sure on how to do that.

No, you're supposed to use the definition of [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n = \infty[/tex]. That's different.

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x) = \infty[/tex] is defined this way:
[tex]\forall M \exists N > 0 \ni \forall x > N, f(x) > M[/tex]

In other words, no matter how large an M someone chooses, there is some number N so that if x > N, then f(x) > M. In other, other words, if you want to get a larger value for f(x), take a larger value for x.

The definition is similar for your sequence.

Sorry, I was just using what my book stated and the book didn't include that extra part.

I guess my question is how to use the definition to prove the limit of my original sequence?

You work backward. Assuming for the moment that n1/2 > M, can you find some other number N so that when n > N, then n1/2 > M? That's basically what I said in post #4.

What does it mean when a limit equals infinity?

A limit equaling infinity means that as the input variable approaches a certain value, the output of the function approaches infinity. In other words, the function has no upper bound and continues to increase without bound.

How do you show a limit equals infinity?

To show a limit equals infinity, you must use the proper notation: lim f(x) = infinity. You can also show this graphically by observing that the function's value increases without bound as the input approaches a certain value.

What is the difference between a limit equaling infinity and a limit not existing?

A limit equaling infinity means that the function has no upper bound and continues to increase without bound. A limit not existing means that the function does not approach any specific value as the input approaches a certain value.

What are the conditions for a limit to equal infinity?

The conditions for a limit to equal infinity are that the function must have no upper bound and must continue to increase without bound as the input approaches a certain value.

Can a limit equal infinity at more than one point?

Yes, a limit can equal infinity at more than one point. This means that the function has no upper bound and continues to increase without bound at multiple points as the input approaches certain values.