Show a real, smooth function of Hermitian operator is Hermitian

And if that's not obvious, then just look at the series for ##f(B)##. Each term in that series is Hermitian, so the sum is hermitian. That's all there is to it.In summary, we have shown that if B is Hermitian, then BN and the real, smooth function f(B) are also Hermitian. This can be proven by showing that the operator B^N is Hermitian, and by using Taylor series expansion to show that any function of an operator is also Hermitian. Therefore, if B is Hermitian, then BN and f(B) are also Hermitian.
Ikaros

Homework Statement

If B is Hermitian, show that BN and the real, smooth function f(B) is as well.

Homework Equations

The operator B is Hermitian if [itex]\int { { f }^{ * }(x)Bg(x)dx= } { \left[ \int { { g }^{ * }(x)Bf(x) } \right] }^{ * }[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Below is my complete solution. I'm hoping someone can review and let me know if it is okay.

Given the operator B, we can define the operator BN as B[itex]\cdot[/itex]B[itex]\cdot[/itex]B[itex]\cdot[/itex]...BN. Using this, we can show:

[itex]
\int { { f }^{ * }(x){ B }^{ N }g(x)dx= } \\ \int { { f }^{ * }(x){ B }BB...{ B }_{ N }g(x)dx= } \\ { \left[ \int { { g }^{ * }(x){ B }BB...{ B }_{ N }f(x) } \right] }^{ * }=\\ \int { { g }(x){ { B }^{ * } }{ B }^{ * }{ B }^{ * }...{ B }^{ * }_{ N }{ f }^{ * }(x) } =\\ \int { { g }(x){ B }^{ { N }^{ * } }{ f }^{ * }(x) } \\
[/itex]

Therefore, BN is also Hermitian.

Given the operator B, we can define the smooth function f(B) by a Taylor series expansion:

f(B)=[itex]\sum _{ N=0 }^{ \infty }{ \frac { 1 }{ N! } \frac { { \partial }^{ N }f }{ \partial { B }^{ N } } } { B }^{ N }[/itex]

Since B0 = 1 and [itex] \frac { { \partial }^{ N }f }{ \partial { B }^{ N } } [/itex] can be treated as scalar derivatives of a normal function (a number) and BN was shown to be Hermitian, we're left with a scalar multiplied by a Hermitian, which is itself Hermitian.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've sought assistance from others regarding the above, and everyone believes it's okay . However, I'd love some feedback in this thread on my approach.

Ikaros said:
I've sought assistance from others regarding the above, and everyone believes it's okay . However, I'd love some feedback in this thread on my approach.

I would say exactly the same thing. If B is hermitian then B^N is hermitian. If B^N is hermitian then any power series in B is also hermitian. Do you see any flaw in that?

Hi Dick and thanks for your reply. I don't see any flaw in the reasoning, but I'm hoping my solution above conveys this clearly.

Ikaros said:
Hi Dick and thanks for your reply. I don't see any flaw in the reasoning, but I'm hoping my solution above conveys this clearly.

It's clear enough to me. But I do think the notation is a little ugly. And are you clear on what something like ##B^*## means? Using bra-ket notation would make this a lot nicer.

What does the notation ##\frac{\partial^N f}{\partial B^N}## mean? I don't think I've ever encountered that...

Dick said:
It's clear enough to me. But I do think the notation is a little ugly. And are you clear on what something like ##B^*## means? Using bra-ket notation would make this a lot nicer.

Thanks Dick. I should be practicing my Dirac notation more...

##\left< { f }|{ \hat { B } }|{ g } \right> ={ \left< { g }|{ \hat { B } }|{ f } \right> }^{ * }##

As for ##B^*##, it is the Hermitian conjugate. In this case, I probably should be using the dagger notation ##{ B }^{ \dagger }##.

micromass said:
What does the notation ##\frac{\partial^N f}{\partial B^N}## mean? I don't think I've ever encountered that...

I may have been a bit lazy with the notation there because my cut and paste from LaTex didn't work. I'll cut and paste the image.

I've been shown that a function of an operator f(A) can be defined by a Taylor series expansion:

EnP6p7u.png

where
9xJtFlM.png
is a scalar calculated in the same way as the derivative of a normal function.

Ikaros said:
Thanks Dick. I should be practicing my Dirac notation more...

##\left< { f }|{ \hat { B } }|{ g } \right> ={ \left< { g }|{ \hat { B } }|{ f } \right> }^{ * }##

As for ##B^*##, it is the Hermitian conjugate. In this case, I probably should be using the dagger notation ##{ B }^{ \dagger }##.

Sure. So Hermitian means ##<f|Bg>=<Bf|g>## for any f and g. That makes it 'almost' obvious that ##<f|B^ng>=<B^nf|g>##. If it's not sufficiently obvious, it's easy to formalize the proof with induction.

1. What is a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is a type of linear operator in mathematics and physics that has a special property known as Hermiticity. This means that the operator is equal to its own adjoint, or conjugate transpose.

2. What is a real, smooth function of a Hermitian operator?

A real, smooth function of a Hermitian operator is a function that takes the Hermitian operator as its argument and outputs a real number. It is also required to be a smooth function, meaning that it has continuous derivatives of all orders.

3. How can you show that a real, smooth function of a Hermitian operator is Hermitian?

To show that a real, smooth function of a Hermitian operator is Hermitian, one must demonstrate that it satisfies the condition of Hermiticity. This means that the function must be equal to its own adjoint, or conjugate transpose. This can be proven mathematically using the properties of Hermitian operators and the definition of a real, smooth function.

4. What is the significance of a real, smooth function of a Hermitian operator being Hermitian?

The significance of a real, smooth function of a Hermitian operator being Hermitian is that it has important implications in the field of quantum mechanics. In quantum mechanics, Hermitian operators represent physical observables, and their eigenvalues (or solutions to their corresponding equations) are the possible outcomes of measurements. Therefore, a real, smooth function of a Hermitian operator being Hermitian ensures that the resulting eigenvalues are real numbers, which have physical meaning.

5. Can a function of a non-Hermitian operator be Hermitian?

No, a function of a non-Hermitian operator cannot be Hermitian. This is because a non-Hermitian operator does not satisfy the condition of Hermiticity, and therefore its functions cannot be Hermitian. In other words, a function can only be Hermitian if its argument (the operator) is also Hermitian.