Show a sequence of amounts are a geometric series

In summary, the conversation discusses a set of amounts in the form of a geometric series, specifically related to compound interest. The question is how to prove that it is a geometric series, and the solution is to look at the definition and see how it satisfies it. It is mentioned that the corresponding sequence has a constant ratio between terms, confirming that it is a geometric sequence. The conversation concludes that the question was easier than expected.
yourmom98
i am given a set of amounts R(1+i)^(n-1)+R(1+i)^(n-2)+... R(1+i)^1,R and so on it has to do with compound interest.
how do i prove this is a geometric series?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yourmom98 said:
i am given a set of amounts R(1+i)^(n-1)+R(1+i)^(n-2)+... R(1+i)^1,R and so on it has to do with compound interest.
how do i prove this is a geometric series?

look at the definition of a geometric series, and try to see how this example satisfies it.

well i know that is satisfies it they are in the form of a geometric series but how do i show this? and actually PROVE it.

Well it's clear that the corresponding sequence [tex]R\left( {1 + i} \right)^0 ,R\left( {1 + i} \right)^1 ,R\left( {1 + i} \right)^2 , \ldots ,R\left( {1 + i} \right)^{n - 1} ,R\left( {1 + i} \right)^n[/tex] has the general term [tex]R\left( {1 + i} \right)^n[/tex].

The ratio between two terms of the sequence is always [tex]\left( {1 + i} \right)[/tex], a constant, just what we need for a geometric sequence -> this gives of course a geometric series.

yeah, it was actually a pretty straightforward question! you might have expected it to be harder than it was...

What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant value called the "common ratio".

How do you show that a sequence of numbers is a geometric series?

To show that a sequence of numbers is a geometric series, you must demonstrate that each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by the same constant value, or common ratio.

What is the formula for finding the sum of a geometric series?

The formula for finding the sum of a geometric series is S = a1 * (1 - rn) / (1 - r), where a1 is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms in the series.

Can a geometric series have a negative common ratio?

Yes, a geometric series can have a negative common ratio. This will result in alternating positive and negative terms in the series.

What are some real-life examples of geometric series?

Some examples of real-life geometric series include compound interest rates, population growth, and the size of a bacteria colony over time.