1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show a sequence of amounts are a geometric series

1. Aug 9, 2005 #1
    i am given a set of amounts R(1+i)^(n-1)+R(1+i)^(n-2)+...... R(1+i)^1,R and so on it has to do with compound interest.
    how do i prove this is a geometric series?
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2005 #2

look at the definition of a geometric series, and try to see how this example satisfies it.
  4. Aug 9, 2005 #3
    well i know that is satisfies it they are in the form of a geometric series but how do i show this? and actually PROVE it.
  5. Aug 9, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

Well it's clear that the corresponding sequence [tex]R\left( {1 + i} \right)^0 ,R\left( {1 + i} \right)^1 ,R\left( {1 + i} \right)^2 , \ldots ,R\left( {1 + i} \right)^{n - 1} ,R\left( {1 + i} \right)^n[/tex] has the general term [tex]R\left( {1 + i} \right)^n[/tex].

The ratio between two terms of the sequence is always [tex]\left( {1 + i} \right)[/tex], a constant, just what we need for a geometric sequence -> this gives of course a geometric series.
  6. Aug 9, 2005 #5
    yeah, it was actually a pretty straightforward question! you might have expected it to be harder than it was...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?