• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Show a sequence of amounts are a geometric series

• Thread starter yourmom98
  • Start date
i am given a set of amounts R(1+i)^(n-1)+R(1+i)^(n-2)+...... R(1+i)^1,R and so on it has to do with compound interest.
how do i prove this is a geometric series?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

yourmom98 said:
i am given a set of amounts R(1+i)^(n-1)+R(1+i)^(n-2)+...... R(1+i)^1,R and so on it has to do with compound interest.
how do i prove this is a geometric series?

look at the definition of a geometric series, and try to see how this example satisfies it.

well i know that is satisfies it they are in the form of a geometric series but how do i show this? and actually PROVE it.

TD
Homework Helper
Well it's clear that the corresponding sequence [tex]R\left( {1 + i} \right)^0 ,R\left( {1 + i} \right)^1 ,R\left( {1 + i} \right)^2 , \ldots ,R\left( {1 + i} \right)^{n - 1} ,R\left( {1 + i} \right)^n[/tex] has the general term [tex]R\left( {1 + i} \right)^n[/tex].

The ratio between two terms of the sequence is always [tex]\left( {1 + i} \right)[/tex], a constant, just what we need for a geometric sequence -> this gives of course a geometric series.

yeah, it was actually a pretty straightforward question! you might have expected it to be harder than it was...