Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show all the ideals of R

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1
    Alright, I need some help with this problem (mainly just to get started):
    Let A and B be ideals of R, such that:
    A+B={a+b / a in A ,b in B}
    AB={aibi / ai in A , bi in B}
    A:B={x in R / xb in A} are all ideals of R
    Show that A+B, AB, and A:B are ALL the ideals of R, where R is a commutative ring with identity 1.

Thanks guys
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This doesn't make sense. There's no reason to believe that those things will be all the ideals of R. In fact, in general they won't be. Are you sure the problem isn't to simply verify that A+B, AB and A:B are ideals? In which case there's still a problem: what you wrote down for "AB" isn't good - it won't be an ideal in general. Should there be a summation sign before aibi?
  4. Apr 20, 2008 #3
    Yes you are right there should be a summation sign before aibi, that was my bad. But I have been working with someone else on this problem and we came to the conclusion that, your right, they cannot possibly represent all the ideals of R. But is it possible that they represent all the properties of ideals in general? I think that may have been the problem; to show that they represent all the properties of ideals.
  5. Apr 24, 2008 #4
    What do you mean by "they represent all the properties of ideals".

If they have all the properties of ideals then they are ideals and that is what morphism supposed in his reply...that the taks might be to prove that A+B etc are ideals.
    This does not mean of course that there are no other ideals...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?