1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show an approximation

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This comes from a book on relativity but it basically comes down to a math problem. The problem is to prove that if
    [tex]T^2 \ll\frac{c^2}{\alpha^2}[/tex]
    then
    [tex]{t}\approx{T}(1-\frac{\alpha^2{T^2}}{6c^2})[/tex]
    given
    [tex]\frac{\alpha{T}}{c}=sinh(\frac{\alpha{t}}{c})[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    See above.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried solving for t from the equation
    [tex]\frac{\alpha{T}}{c}=sinh(\frac{\alpha{t}}{c})[/tex]
    which gives
    [tex]t=\frac{c}{\alpha}\log(\frac{T\alpha}{c}+\sqrt{1+\frac{T^2\alpha^2}{c^2}})[/tex]
    I thought I'd be able to use maclaurin expansion at this point becuase of how the approximation looks but I keep making mistakes and I'm not getting anywhere at the moment so I'd really appreciate some help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2009 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What if you tried writing the hyperbolic sine function in terms of exponential functions first? Their Taylor expansions are easy...

4. Jun 9, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply!

Using the first four terms of each of the expansions I end up with what looks like the some kind of opposite to what I want
    [tex]
    {T}\approx{t}(1+\frac{\alpha^2{t^2}}{6c^2})
    [/tex]
    I can't see that I can get where I want from this and I haven't used all information in the problem to get here, maybe I'm missing something.

5. Jun 9, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to reverse the roles of t and T. You could also write at/c=arcsinh(aT/c) and use arcsinh(x)=x-x^3/3!+...

6. Jun 9, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No reason in the world to be always writing hyperbolic functions as exponentials!

sihh(0)= 0.
    (sinh(x))'= cosh(x) and cosh(0)= 1.
    (sinh(x))"= (cosh(x))'= sinh(x) and sinh(0)= 0.
    (sinh(x))'''= (sinh(x))'= cosh(x) and cosh(0)= 1, etc.

7. Jun 9, 2009 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, have you at least substituted that approximation into [itex]T(1-\frac{\alpha^2{T^2}}{6c^2})[/itex]?

8. Jun 9, 2009 #7
    Thanks a lot that does it! Also gives me another question and that is how to find that arcsinh(x)=x-x^3/3!+...? My thought of simply solving for t and then looking at what I got didn't really get me there.

How can I do that substitution? I'm feeling very rusty here, I'm sorry.

9. Jun 9, 2009 #8
    Here's one way. The derivative of arcsinh x is [tex](1+x^2)^{-1/2}[/tex] so use the binomial series to find the series for that, then integrate term by term. You only need a few terms anyway, not the whole series.

10. Jun 10, 2009 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A physicist would just take
    [tex]

{T}\approx{t}(1+\frac{\alpha^2{t^2}}{6c^2})

[/tex]
    and say, hey, that means t=T with correction of higher order. So I can just replace t^2 with T^2 without making any errors I would care about. So I can change that into
    [tex]

{T}\approx{t}(1+\frac{\alpha^2{T^2}}{6c^2})

[/tex]
    Now move all the T's to one side and use 1/(1+x) is approximately equal to 1-x for x<<1.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  11. Jun 10, 2009 #10
    Thank you everyone!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook