1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show equality

1. Aug 26, 2010 #1
    If f(x)= 5^x, show that

f(x+h) - f(x) / h = (5^x)(((5^h)-1) / h)

I need a step by step solution or some hints

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2010 #2
    Do you know any properties of the exponential function?

4. Aug 26, 2010 #3
    like the law of exponents? i know most of them. ill apply the laws more thoroughly

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  5. Aug 26, 2010 #4
    Do you think the term "exponential function" has anything to do with the problem you have posed?

6. Aug 26, 2010 #5
    yes, when i see something like 5^x

7. Aug 26, 2010 #6
    So, can you state some of the properties of the exponential function?

8. Aug 26, 2010 #7
  9. Aug 26, 2010 #8
    Ok, so, if [itex]f(x) = 5^{x}[/itex], which one of those would you use (and in what direction, i.e. from left to right or right to left) to express [itex]f(x + h)[/itex]?

10. Aug 26, 2010 #9
    not sure which one would work for that since i only understand the first 4-5 properties atm but if i have to do something id go with f(x+h) = 5^x + 5^h and that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense

11. Aug 26, 2010 #10
    Hint:
    [tex]
    f(x + h) = 5^{x + h}
    [/tex]

not [itex]5^{x} + 5^{h}[/itex].

If you are not comfortable with this, I think you need to brush on your pre-calc syllabus.

12. Aug 26, 2010 #11
    okay i see how it works out now. didn't take calc after high school pre-calc and it's been 3 years, everything is in bit's and pieces..I'm currently brushing my *** off :( thanks for the help Dick

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook