Is F conservative and what is its scalar potential?

• Thread starter jaydnul
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks for clearing that up for me.In summary, the potential F is conservative if P_y=Q_x and the convention used in physics is to add positively to the total energy.
jaydnul

Homework Statement

Show [itex]F=<3x^2y-y^2,x^3-2xy>[/itex] is conservative. Find a scalar potential f. Evaluate [itex]∫FdR[/itex] where C connects (0,0) to (2,1).

Homework Equations

Conservative if [itex]P_y=Q_x[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So it is conservative, but I don't know where to go from here. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What's a scalar potential?

Where the gradient of f is equal to F, right? I just have no clue how to do this.

I'm sure there are examples you could consult in your textbook. In any case, you're right. If f is the scalar potential, then ##\nabla f = F##, so that means
\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} &= P \\
\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} &= Q
\end{align*} Plug in the function you have for P for this problem, and integrate the first equation. What do you get?

[itex]x^3y-xy^2+c[/itex]

My book is so awful

Never mind I think I got it. Sometimes when I post it jogs my memory. I remember my teacher doing something with a function of y in the place of c. Thanks anyways vela!

Jd0g33 said:
I remember my teacher doing something with a function of y in the place of c.
That's correct. You integrated 3x2y-y2 with respect to x to yield x3y-xy2+c. That constant c can be any function of y because what you integrated was a partial derivative with respect to x.

Consider ##\vec F = 2x\hat x + 2y\hat y##. This is obviously conservative, but now when you do the integrations you get ##U(x,y)=x^2+c## on one hand versus ##U(x,y)=y^2+c## on the other. The way around this apparent problem to realize that the first c is a function of y, the second a function of x. With that, ##U(x,y)=x^2+f(y)=y^2+g(x)##, so ##U(x,y)=x^2+y^2+c##.

The only question left is the sign. Usually one defines the potential such that it adds positively to the total energy, which implies that
[tex]\vec{F}(\vec{x})=-\vec{\nabla} V(\vec{x}).[/tex]

vanhees71 said:
The only question left is the sign. Usually one defines the potential such that it adds positively to the total energy, which implies that
[tex]\vec{F}(\vec{x})=-\vec{\nabla} V(\vec{x}).[/tex]
That's the convention used in physics. Mathematicians often use the opposite convention. This question was asked in the mathematics section, so it's probably more apropos to use the non-negated convention.

Oh dear, that's very confusing for a physicist :rolleyes:

What does it mean for a show F to be conservative?

A show F is considered conservative if it conserves certain properties or values, such as energy, momentum, or charge, throughout its entire duration.

How can you determine if a show F is conservative?

To determine if a show F is conservative, you can analyze the laws or principles that govern the show, such as the laws of motion or the conservation of energy, and see if they are upheld throughout the show.

What are some examples of conservative shows?

Examples of conservative shows include movies or television shows that accurately depict the laws of physics, such as "Interstellar" or "MythBusters". Also, live performances that maintain a consistent level of energy or momentum, like a ballet or a concert, can be considered conservative shows.

Can a show F be partially conservative?

Yes, a show F can be partially conservative if it conserves certain properties or values, but not others. For example, a show may conserve energy but not momentum, or vice versa.

How is the concept of conservatism important in the field of science?

The concept of conservatism is important in science because it helps us understand and predict how certain systems or processes will behave. It also allows us to analyze and evaluate the accuracy and validity of scientific models and theories.