1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show F is conservative

1. Dec 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show [itex]F=<3x^2y-y^2,x^3-2xy>[/itex] is conservative. Find a scalar potential f. Evaluate [itex]∫FdR[/itex] where C connects (0,0) to (2,1).

2. Relevant equations
    Conservative if [itex]P_y=Q_x[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So it is conservative, but I don't know where to go from here. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What's a scalar potential?

4. Dec 11, 2013 #3
    Where the gradient of f is equal to F, right? I just have no clue how to do this.

5. Dec 11, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'm sure there are examples you could consult in your textbook. In any case, you're right. If f is the scalar potential, then ##\nabla f = F##, so that means
    \begin{align*}
    \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} &= P \\
    \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} &= Q
    \end{align*} Plug in the function you have for P for this problem, and integrate the first equation. What do you get?

6. Dec 11, 2013 #5
    [itex]x^3y-xy^2+c[/itex]

My book is so awful

7. Dec 11, 2013 #6
    Never mind I think I got it. Sometimes when I post it jogs my memory. I remember my teacher doing something with a function of y in the place of c. Thanks anyways vela!!

8. Dec 11, 2013 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's correct. You integrated 3x2y-y2 with respect to x to yield x3y-xy2+c. That constant c can be any function of y because what you integrated was a partial derivative with respect to x.

Consider ##\vec F = 2x\hat x + 2y\hat y##. This is obviously conservative, but now when you do the integrations you get ##U(x,y)=x^2+c## on one hand versus ##U(x,y)=y^2+c## on the other. The way around this apparent problem to realize that the first c is a function of y, the second a function of x. With that, ##U(x,y)=x^2+f(y)=y^2+g(x)##, so ##U(x,y)=x^2+y^2+c##.

9. Dec 11, 2013 #8

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The only question left is the sign. Usually one defines the potential such that it adds positively to the total energy, which implies that
    [tex]\vec{F}(\vec{x})=-\vec{\nabla} V(\vec{x}).[/tex]

10. Dec 11, 2013 #9

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's the convention used in physics. Mathematicians often use the opposite convention. This question was asked in the mathematics section, so it's probably more apropos to use the non-negated convention.

11. Dec 11, 2013 #10

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Oh dear, that's very confusing for a physicist :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted