1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show F is isomorphic to F/{0}

1. May 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let F be a field. Show that F is isomorphic to F/{0}
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    By the first ring isomorphic theorem, kernel of the homomorphism is an ideal which is either {0} or I. Hence F isomorphic to F/{0}

I think I misunderstood the problem can anyone check my work where I did wrong

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2015 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

For two fields to be isomorphic, there has to be a bijective homomorphism between them:

$$\phi : F \rightarrow (F - \{0\})$$

You need to define the map you used to show ##\text{ker}(\phi)## is an ideal of ##F##. You then need to show ##\ker(\phi)## really is an ideal.

Then I would be convinced.

You could also go the long way by proving the map you've defined is a bijective homomorphism between the fields, which would imply the fields are isomorphic to each other.

4. May 28, 2015 #3
    Suppose $\phi : F\rightarrow F$ is an identity homomorphism, then $\ker(\phi)=\{0\}$ is an ideal of $F$ and hence $F/\{0\}\cong F$ by the first ring isomorphism.

5. May 29, 2015 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Are you saying ##\phi(f) = f, \forall f \in F##? If so there is a problem because ##\phi(0) = 0## and ##0 \notin (F - \{ 0 \})##.

6. May 29, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The OP means ##F/\{0\}##, which means the ring ##F## modulo ##\{0\}##. He does not mean the set theoretic difference ##F\setminus \{0\}## (in that case, the result in the OP is obviously false).

7. May 29, 2015 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Correct.

8. May 30, 2015 #7

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Oh I thought the OP was intending to mean the set theoretical difference.

I never knew \setminus was the way to do that, so I guess I learned something too.

The OP is correct if they were intending modulo, but I definitely would have been a bit more explicit when asking.

9. May 30, 2015 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I agree, I was very confused too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted